Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Badge

I got a Badge from my wife, It says #S.O.B.

Of course, this would be OK...................as would a Disney, Official "Junior Woodchuck Merit Badge".

Dum de dum.............dum de dum de dum!
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

I was at a local gun show and stopped to get something to drink.Being the friendly sort that I am, I was about to say hello to the guy waiting in line next to me.But before I did I noticed that he had a ccw badge clipped to his belt.That to me is a red flag that this person is probably on some sort of ccw "power trip".So by all means, if those out there want to carry a ccw badge,please go ahead, that way I for one will know to avoid being around you.

Keithmj

The Badges are stupid. Why would you want one? Must make you feel special. You get that warm fuzzy felling when you put it on huh. If you don't like someones opinion, too bad. They are entitled to it as you are. These people here on FCC are very knowledgeable and are informing you to help you out. Take it for what its worth. Like they said "WEAR IT AT YOUR OWN RISK"! Mr. Buckley, meet you soon to be new client. Does he get an FCC Discount? Not trying to be mean at all but it seems you should leave the situation where it stands and not continue to post on this topic.
    ADOG88
    --------------
    XD-40 SC
    --------------
    NRA MEMBER
    --------------
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Just to clarify, the following is one of the FAQs on the Dept. of Ag site.

QUESTION 9. I am a Florida license holder, and I have recently received a solicitation in the mail for an "official badge" identifying me as such a license holder. Are these badges legal? Does the Division endorse these badges?

No, the Division does not endorse these badges, but they are not illegal. There is nothing in Florida law that specifically prohibits companies from offering to sell these badges to Florida license holders, nor is there any provision that prohibits license holders from carrying such badges.

License holders should be aware that the use of official badges is prohibited in Florida Statutes in a couple of places. Section 30.46 specifies that a badge in the shape of a five-pointed star can be used by Florida sheriffs and deputy sheriffs only. Section 843.085 makes it unlawful to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority (including any badge) which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency.

Licensees should also take note that these badges do not substitute for identification or confirmation of your status as a holder of a Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License. Only the license issued by the Division will serve as a means of identifying a citizen as a license holder.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html

Please recognize the implicit cautions given here. While technically legal to carry, display may be an entirely different matter and YOUR interpretation of the law may just land you in the back of a cruiser for an unwanted ride.

Jez sayin............MPDC69.....Immature, 62 YO ex LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by MPDC66 View Post
    Just to clarify, the following is one of the FAQs on the Dept. of Ag site.

QUESTION 9. I am a Florida license holder, and I have recently received a solicitation in the mail for an "official badge" identifying me as such a license holder. Are these badges legal? Does the Division endorse these badges?

No, the Division does not endorse these badges, but they are not illegal. There is nothing in Florida law that specifically prohibits companies from offering to sell these badges to Florida license holders, nor is there any provision that prohibits license holders from carrying such badges.

License holders should be aware that the use of official badges is prohibited in Florida Statutes in a couple of places. Section 30.46 specifies that a badge in the shape of a five-pointed star can be used by Florida sheriffs and deputy sheriffs only. Section 843.085 makes it unlawful to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority (including any badge) which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency.

Licensees should also take note that these badges do not substitute for identification or confirmation of your status as a holder of a Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License. Only the license issued by the Division will serve as a means of identifying a citizen as a license holder.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html

Please recognize the implicit cautions given here. While technically legal to carry, display may be an entirely different matter and YOUR interpretation of the law may just land you in the back of a cruiser for an unwanted ride.

Jez sayin............MPDC69.....Immature, 62 YO ex LEO.
    +1 to you sir. Thank You
    ADOG88
    --------------
    XD-40 SC
    --------------
    NRA MEMBER
    --------------
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

What?????

the Division does not endorse these badges

I'm shocked to read this from the issuing authorities in Fla ,,,,,,,,,

What?????

Section 843.085 makes it unlawful to wear or display any authorized indicia of authority (including any badge ) which could deceive a reasonable person into believing that such item is authorized by any federal, state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency.

I'm shocked I tell ya, just shocked I miss Joe Friday and officer Gannon

Jez sayin............Brownie.....Immature, 58 YO ex LEO
    Last edited by brownie; 12-15-2009 at 09:55 AM.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

I UNDERSTAND NOW!!!!

I see how he does not act his age:

Listed in his profile:

Occupation
    Bus Driver
    ADOG88
    --------------
    XD-40 SC
    --------------
    NRA MEMBER
    --------------

Banned

Talking Wondering

Quote Originally Posted by scoot611 View Post
    I was at a local gun show and stopped to get something to drink.Being the friendly sort that I am, I was about to say hello to the guy waiting in line next to me.But before I did I noticed that he had a ccw badge clipped to his belt.That to me is a red flag that this person is probably on some sort of ccw "power trip".So by all means, if those out there want to carry a ccw badge,please go ahead, that way I for one will know to avoid being around you.
    When I was standing next to an officer the other day I was wondering about whether he was like this person.. http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/2208368.html and while driving and I saw an officer who had a car pulled over it made me think about this.. http://articles.latimes.com/2007/oct/04/local/me-games4 this is why people don't trust cops. And this is just two examples..You never know who you are standing next to..And I'm a friendly guy too..Cheers

Florida Department of Law enforcement..
    05-10: F.S. 843.085 Ruled Invalid

Case: Sult v. State, 2005 WL 1475338 (Fl Supreme Court)

Date: June 24, 2005 (Opinion filed June 23, 2005)

FACTS: Kimberly Sult was arrested for wearing a black t-shirt on which was printed the official Pinellas County S.O. star and the word “SHERIFF” in large letters. She purchased the shirt at a public uniform store and was not asked for credentials during the sale. She was convicted of a violation of F.S. 843.085 which prohibits unlawful use of police badges or other indicia of authority. She appealed to the Florida Supreme Court, arguing that the law was vague and overbroad and violated Sult’s free speech rights.

RULING: The Supreme Court ruled that the statute was unconstitutionally vague and overbroad and reversed the conviction. The decision turns on the fact that the statute did not require a specific intent to deceive. The Supreme Court agreed with an earlier 3rd DCA opinion that overturned the conviction of a motorcyclist who fled police while wearing a “police” tee shirt. Absent intent to deceive, the law makes criminal several activities that many people routinely engage in with no criminal intent. Justice Wells pointed out that wearing an “NYPD” cap or a police costume to a party would technically violate the statute.

COMMENT: The legislature will likely enact a similar law that tries to conform to the Court’s ruling, but until that occurs, law enforcement should not make any arrests for the mere wearing of shirts, badges, etc. solely on the basis of F.S. 943.085. If circumstances supporting “impersonating an officer” exist, the person may be guilty of impersonating an officer pursuant to F.S. 843.08 or 843.0855. Also note that the law prohibiting use of flashing blue lights remains valid.

Steve Hurm
    Regional Legal Advisor
    Florida Department of Law Enforcement
    Tallahassee and Pensacola Regional Operations Centers

Officers should consult with their agency legal advisors to confirm the interpretation provided in this Update and to determine to what extent the case discussed will impact their activities.

For Further Information Contact:
    Steve Brady
    Regional Legal Advisor
    Florida Department of Law Enforcement
    Orlando Regional Operations Center
    Last edited by Keithmj; 12-15-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keithmj View Post
    When I was standing next to an officer the other day I was wondering about whether he was like this person.. http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/story/2208368.html and while driving and I saw an officer who had a car pulled over it made me think about this.. http://articles.latimes.com/2007/oct/04/local/me-games4 this is why people don't trust cops. And this is just two examples..You never know who you are standing next to..And I'm a friendly guy too..Cheers
    Ipso facto!

Sposors