Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Procedure for selling a gun privately??

Question Procedure for selling a gun privately??

Is there a form or recommended wording for a bill of sale for a face to face sale of a gun to another CCW holder? Do I record the buyers DL & CCW numbers in addition to name and address info??

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow53 View Post
    Is there a form or recommended wording for a bill of sale for a face to face sale of a gun to another CCW holder? Do I record the buyers DL & CCW numbers in addition to name and address info??
    Procedure:
    Ask buyer if he/she is prohibited by Federal or State law from purchasing the firearm. If he/she says 'No', get the money, give the gun.

Done deal.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckley View Post
    I donít recommend private sales as a method of selling a gun. This being said, no copies are needed, the more due diligence you undertake, the more of an issue you may have in the future. No record or bill of sale is needed. If he or she is at least 18, or 21, as the law requires, you are set.
    18 in Florida for private sale, handgun or long gun.

I don’t recommend private sales as a method of selling a gun. This being said, no copies are needed, the more due diligence you undertake, the more of an issue you may have in the future. No record or bill of sale is needed. If he or she is at least 18, or 21, as the law requires, you are set.
    I would have preferred to not sell privately, but it was the only way to recover enough of my cost for a Ruger LCR w/CT that I purchased new about 6 weeks ago that turned out not to be a good fit. Local shop offered less than 1/2 of what I paid. Private sale cuts my loss to 25%.

I'm confused however, since I bought it new, if it were used in the commission of a crime wouldn't it be trace back to me and wouldn't I need to prove that I transferred it to someone else??

Sold my guns to private dealers at gun shows. Local gun dealer offered about 30% less than what I received. Let dealers handle paperwork, if any.
    NRA

I buy and sell private guns all the time.

Get the buyers drivers license information to include address, date of birth, license number, date of expiration, have them sign the piece of paper they received that gun with that serial number on that date from you, make sure the signature matches the license, ----- put that information in a secure place and keep it as a record of sale.

No valid drivers license---------- no sale

You're good to go. Feds come knocking at the door down the road, show them the paper he signed with his information on it and tell them to have a nice day.

It's not rocket science or hard to document the private sale/purchase of a firearm.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Gotta be 21 to buy a pistol in Az as well as Mass. I'm thinking it's the same nationwide.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Gotta be 21 to buy a pistol in Az as well as Mass. I'm thinking it's the same nationwide.
    18 in Fl for a handgun (private only)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckley
    I understand your dilemma. I didnít say you shouldnít use a bill of sale, I only said it wasnít needed. I donít know if it would be traced back to you. If it were, your bill of sale is about as valuable as your statement that you sold it. If you make copies of the buyerís credentials, my initial statement stands.
    Have no plans to make copies of credentials, just a simple bill of sale with DL & CCW #'s, name /addr and description and serial# of the gun. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TitleIIToyLover
    So, I think a mutual exchange of information is appropriate.
    I have no problem with a mutual exchange of information. I can't see it any different than selling a used car, minus the "title".

Sposors