Motorcycle tourers'! How do you plot your routes?

Thread: Motorcycle tourers'! How do you plot your routes?

Motorcycle tourers'! How do you plot your routes?

I am thinking about taking the plunge into my first bike. Since I am a rank beginner, I am nervous about riding it on the open road. However, To make the investment worthwhile, I want to be able to ride to Volusioa Gun club and Central Florida Club for matches. I would like some assistance in plotting a route that does not find me dealing with the weekend traffic on I-4.

For those of you with Google maps I am starting from Buena Vista, the intersection of 535 and Apopka Vineland and trying to get to Volusia gun and Hunt Club. Also, using the same start point, ride to Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club in the Lake Nona Area (typically it is a straight run up 417).

How do I find a nice route where I won't kill myself. (lol - the irony of that comment)
    "The Rights of the individual are subject neither to the democratic process nor to arguments grounded in social utility."

Are you saying you have never ridden... new to motorcycles? If so, I think you're ahead of yourself. you need to get your safety class done, get a bike, and ride some known and little traveled roads. once the bike is comfortable to you, then you can start expanding. Seriously.

Distinguished Member bladenbullet's Avatar
    if you've reached a level of comfort that has you begging for more....take some long rides on back road...take your time and enjoy the experience....try long runs without getting off the seat....it takes some conditioning to get used to long days in the saddle...different riding positions help....get used to carrying a little more weight on the bike....pack it as low as possible to prevent being top heavy and don't put too much weight too far back....when the front end gets light weird stuff happens...

the wind is fatiguing...a small windscreen might be your friend...soft luggage is fine and works well...youll be surprised at how much a few hours in the saddle can take out of you when youre not used to it...take that into account...sometimes frequent stops can be your friend....grab an iced tea and watch the world go by for a moment if you need to....don't feel pressured into how many miles you can run in a day...I hate it when people ask how many miles I rode in a weekend and brag about how many they rode....while I wonder if they just log miles to brag about them or actually ride for enjoyment....ive logged long days in miserable weather and have run short days in ideal weather....its about what you enjoy....nobody else....

when youre ready to travel plot your routes on roads that are the most comfortable for you to ride....I usually take back roads to my destinations but prefer more direct highway routes home just to save time on the return trip....I find that to be the hardest oart of a journey....the end...so the superslab is my way home sometimes....its about what youre comfortable with....

try not to plan too much ahead of time....a strict schedule gets in the way of enjoying the ride....take your time and smell the country...grab some strawberries at a roadside stand or stop for the worlds biggest ball of string....soak it in...or soak your feet in a creek....

have fun with it....
    Top Dog Wannabe....

"the two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why"...mark twain

"a ship in harbor is safe. but thats not what ships are built for."
    john a shedd

keep moving...if you make em believe youre crazier than they are theyd have to be a fool to stick around and find out what youre capable of...me...

pink is the new black....

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

I am curious if anyone can suggest a nice route from SW Orlando to Volusia Gun and Hunt Club that does not involve I-4.
    Last edited by frgood; 05-24-2016 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Less smarmy.
    "The Rights of the individual are subject neither to the democratic process nor to arguments grounded in social utility."

I use the HD Ride Planner
    You can drag and drop the route anywhere you like to change it
    If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Proverb

NRA member since forever

Quote Originally Posted by GoldwingElf View Post
    I use the HD Ride Planner
    You can drag and drop the route anywhere you like to change it
    Thanks, Good stuff.

Distinguished Member bladenbullet's Avatar
    google maps allows that also....
    Top Dog Wannabe....

"the two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why"...mark twain

"a ship in harbor is safe. but thats not what ships are built for."
    john a shedd

keep moving...if you make em believe youre crazier than they are theyd have to be a fool to stick around and find out what youre capable of...me...

pink is the new black....

Sposors