Florida Concealed Carry banner

NJ Resident now - Need Advice on a FL Weapons Permit due to Expire

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  FfNJGTFO 
#1 ·
I have had a FL Concealed Carry Weapons Permit for nearly 20 years. It is due to expire in 2017. I moved to NJ in 2012. I learned recently that I am unable to maintain my Florida Driver's Licence, which will be cancelled out, leaving me with ONLY my New Jersey driver's license.

My question is: Will I end up losing my Florida Concealed Weapons Carry Licence after all this time, or is there a way I can renew it?? I'm not even sure where to begin.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
You should be able to renew as a "non-resident." I recently moved to FL from NJ, and I started by having a non-resident FL carry permit, which I converted to "resident" once I moved to FL. You might have to submit some different docs and pay a higher fee, but it's worth it. See the DOACS Website for instructions. Just remember, your CWFL is NOT VALID in NJ! You cannot carry in NJ outside your home or business without a NJ CCW permit, and good luck getting one!

BTW, Welcome to the forum. Be sure to post an "Introduce yourself" message. :thumsup

#4 ·
^^^^
This. There is no address on the the Florida CWL. Your Florida CWL can be renewed when you become a resident of another state. It's already been addressed that your FLCWL is not valid in NJ. However, be aware that when you are no longer a Florida resident, the reciprocity of your FLCWL may be different in other states, too. For example, South Carolina recognizes FLCWL but only for residents to Florida. I am not currently a Florida resident so cannot conceal carry while in SC.

#6 · (Edited)
Yup, there is that; out of state applications need fresh fingerprint cards taken by an LEA (and certified as such on the back of the card IIRC). Make friends with your local LEA and good luck.

#11 · (Edited)
When I got my last fingerprint card done up here in Maryland, the Navy civilian LEA that I went to had a sign saying they would no longer do fingerprint cards for concealed carry applications (many LEAs in Maryland don't support concealed carry). So when the officer taking mine asked what they were for, I just told the him that I would be retiring soon and moving back home to where I grew up and they were needed for "an application to the State of Florida." I'm sure he thought I meant for a state "job" and I didn't clarify, but I didn't lie to an LEO either.
See, this bothers me. What a LEA, County or State "likes or dislikes" is irrelevant. Don't we still have a 2nd Amendment, yes? This is starting to sound like that freak lady who refused the Supreme Court's order to issue Marriage Licenses to gay couples because she had a "personal conflict" with it. That's crap. IMHO, any LEA by law should have to give you the fingerprint card, so long as you are wiling to wait and pay for it if a fee is required.

#13 ·
See, this bothers me. What a LEA, County or State "likes or dislikes" is irrelevant. Don't we still have a 2nd Amendment, yes? This is starting to sound like that freak lady who refused the Supreme Court's order to issue Marriage Licenses to gay couples because she had a "personal conflict" with it. That's crap. IMHO, any LEA by law should have to give you the fingerprint card, so long as you are wiling to wait and pay for it if a fee is required.
Welcome to the PRNJ. It's what they do. They couldn't care less about your 2A rights. They feel their right to keep their citizenry under control trumps your 2A rights. And the sheeples let them do it because they get "free stuff" out of it. Want to take them to court over it? Lots of luck! Many have tried and many have died (metaphorically). :grin

Anyway, as I state above, try some of the shooting clubs that might be able to arrange your firngerprint session with Ident-to-Go, if you are not successful with your local LEA.

#7 ·
Please tell me that you are aware that your FLCWL is worthless in NJ, would hate to see you in the headlines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.