Florida Concealed Carry banner

Thinking about getting a AR

6K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  pod 
#1 ·
So I've been looking at AR's, but really don't know much about them. Should I stick to a brand name like Colt, S&W, or ?. I've also seen a few locally built guns that look nice but are brands I've never heard of before, SWAT, Spikes, Ect.

What kind of accuracy can I expect out of these. My primary use would be shooting at the range at 100-200 yards. And plinking at my sisters farm a couple of times a year.

My budget for the gun only is around $1000. I'd pay a little more if it made a difference, but don't want to pay more than say $1250 tops.

I also don't have a problem with used if it means I can get a quality gun, whatever that is in the AR world.

#3 ·
I'd recommend either the Aero AC-15:

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aero-ac-15-complete-rifle.html

I used Aero Precision components in my last AR build and they haven't proved problematic at all.

Aero offers different setups that still fall within your price range though. However, think of it this way, if you go under budget, you have more money for ammo.

To each his own, but I would shy away from the S&W offering. I've seen more than one become problematic, even with diligent cleaning and care.

As far as accuracy? Well, there's a lot involved in that, least of which is your skill level. What is your experience with firearms?

Word of warning - once you get your first AR, it'll rapidly evolve into getting a second, and then you'll start wondering about other platforms....

#4 ·
There is a reason why ARs have been alternately referred to as Legos for Big Boys or Barbies for Men. They are the ultimate DIY base and once you own and shoot one a bit, you won't be able to help yourself to not modify it. Edge is right, go with something modest to start. If, after some hundreds of rounds down range, you feel the need to enhance, start then.

If you start with iron sights, your first upgrade is likely a sight of some sort. I prefer non-magnified red dots and you can find units from just under $100 to $700 or more. The Holosun and Primary Arms units offer good value for the money. I won three Aimpoints with another on the way, but you don't need mil-grade gear for most uses.

Get a good sling for letting the rifle hang when you are not shooting. I use single point slings for that but have two points models as well.

After that, all enhancements are optional, IMLTHO. Front vertical grip. Better trigger. New "furniture". You can go crazy.

However, if you really like it and think you want something really special, don't try to turn a F150 into a race car. Keep that for planing and start working with someone who can help you build your own with the exact parts you want. But be prepared, that's when it can get really pricey.

My $0.02

#6 · (Edited)
There is a reason why ARs have been alternately referred to as Legos for Big Boys or Barbies for Men. They are the ultimate DIY base and once you own and shoot one a bit, you won't be able to help yourself to not modify it. Edge is right, go with something modest to start. If, after some hundreds of rounds down range, you feel the need to enhance, start then.
Yep. My first AR was a Colt LE6920. No frills. Now it barely resembles what it was when I got it. It's not "tacticool" per se but I definitely changed it up.

And yes, regardless of which basic AR you get, put a red-dot/HWS on it. You don't have to go crazy, but don't go cheap either.

#5 ·
Welcome to the dark side. You'll be asking about 7.62's next. It always starts out as plinking and turns into so much more. I would say shoot some different ones and see what you like best, b/c opinions on AR's are as varied as opinions on SD ammo and caliber debates. I have a Tactical Ambush AR 15 pistol. It has been fine so far and works well for what my plan is for it.

#8 ·
Gun Airsoft gun Machine gun Games Air gun

M&P 15 Sport 2. 650 out the door. It is a great starter AR.

#10 · (Edited)
Keep It Simple for your first AR, most that cost 600.00-700.00 dollar range will get you a functioning entry level rifle/carbine. Once you learn the rifles function, parts and pieces then you can swap out parts a little at a time and end up with a high end rifle without that big chunk of change at one time. Everything on an AR can be replaced with simple tools, vise blocks and vise. I would stay away from polymer upper and lower ARs as they are relatively new to market and still working out bugs and wear issues. Minimum should be milspec forged upper and lower to give yourself something to build on or if you find out that you don't like the AR platform you won't have trouble selling it.

Many brands have been mentioned already and there are several more out there, the key is to shop around and pounce quick when you find a good deal because they generally will sell out quick. Try to stay away from uncommon or unknown manufacturers as resell ability drops off if you decide to sell it.
we will be here to help you so just ask if unsure. Welcome to the AR infected club! Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Assault rifle

This my most recent build.

#19 ·
I would check out Palmetto State Armory. A few years back they ran a special for an AR (5.56) and a red dot optic for 999. After looking over the parts on it, I decided I couldn't build one for that price. The optic was just over 400 at the time.

I did plan to build one but...

#20 ·
to the OP you don't buy builds off the shelf, those are assembly's from FFL lowers and uppers mated. if not interested in resale, this is your cheapest route, get a cheap red dot or chessy scope

if you got deep pockets go for colt, sig , S&W, mossberg, delton, the list is endless, also a expensive rifle deserves a M-4 aimpoint or mepro I prefer 20rd gi surplus mags they NEVER jam. surplus 30rds do, even with new followers or you could get pro mags, the lads seem to prefer those. whatever rifle you get don't go cheap on the mags

oh you are late to get into the scene , better later than never also join http://www.ar15.com/

#21 ·
#22 ·
Order the first three and have a functioning AR minus magazines for $484 no tax and possibly free shipping. Wait till the mags in the last link are available and stock up at $6.99 each. Spend the rest of your budget on 5.56 ammo and blast away for a year. Then come back and tell us how what upgrades you want to make and all the custom parts you want. Sell the first rifle for $600 and be half way to your dream build.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-complete-blem-lower-classic-edition-no-magazine.html
$159

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ptac...ato-1-7-slick-side-upper-with-bcg-and-ch.html
$269

http://palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-mbus-back-up-sight-gen-2-rear-mag248.html
$56

http://palmettostatearmory.com/d-h-5-56-30rd-aluminum-magazine-8416.html
$6.99

#23 · (Edited)
#24 ·
Thanks, it's a lot to think about. I'm leaning toward getting a used Colt. No reason except the name. I will probably change my mind a few times. I've got a birthday coming up in May so I need to find something for the wife to buy me.

#25 ·
Colt, Smith&Wesson, PSA, Aero Precision. I put the entry level for each of those on the same quality scale. However if purchasing a complete rifle, Colt and S&W will hold value more only for the name. I believe all four have similar warranties. If purchasing PSA seperate parts you will get an increase on the value if you purchase blemished parts even an assembled blemish lower is a good bit cheaper. After a year of use There will be more usage marks than blemish marks. Then add in Hillary getting elected and trying a second AWB and your rifle will shoot up over $1K no matter the brand or parts.

#28 ·
Check out the colt CRX16 it has all the upgrades I wanted so it's cheaper in the long run . You won't have paid twice for everything , once when you buy the gun then for the upgrades . I have had mine for two years now and no problems , it's made in their custom shop in TX. .

#29 ·
Being a fan of Colt, I must point out that their one and only custom shop is at the factory in Connecticut. The TX company makes 'race guns' under license. The guns are popular with competitive shooters and have a good reputation but they are not the down and dirty GI issue (fun switch and bbl length aside) carbines built up North.

#30 ·
Barrel and trigger. Concentrate on those two things. You can't go wrong buying a colt. Prices for AR's are falling...fast. Buying used may not be your best value.

I went crazy trying to figure out what to buy. I ended up assembling a Franken-carbine with a LWRC upper, magpul handgrip and stock and BUIS, palmetto lower parts kit and ACT trigger. The thing is a tack driver out to 20 yards with iron sights. I have never shot an AR before. My son was on leave, and loved it, but thought it was heavy.

#31 ·
Still looking, I finally stopped by another LGS and they had the M&P sport 2 for $600, a armalight for $800, they both had iron sights, and a CMMG for $1000. The CMMG had a free floated barrel and looked nice, no sights.

I don't want to spend $600, and then wish I would have gone ahead and spent $1000 or a little more.

Bad news is the transponder crapped out in the plane so I have to get that fixed. The wife is never happy when I spend money on the plane. But I will be getting a new rifle in the near future, just trying to do a little research and try and spend my money wisely.

#32 ·
Another reason for buying a built lower and then a built upper in two purchases. The lower can be well under $200 shipped, and the upper bought later. The lower is the starting point for all builds but aside from trigger and stock are pretty much the same for all basic rifles. The upper is what determines all the fancy talk, caliber, free float, optical and all that. You don't need to build either as you can buy them whole and ready to go. CMMG, PSA, DPMS, AP, S&W Pretty much all are the same quality build lower just different roll marks on the side.

#34 ·
The transponder is required to fly In certain airspace. It cost from around $2000 to install a used unit to $5000 for a new one that meets upcoming requirements. So not the end of the world, but I wasn't expecting it.

The buying in parts is looking better. Buying a lower locally and then the rest through the mail.

#35 ·
If you decide to build the upper, you may need some specialized tools. Like a barrel nut wrench, a torque wrench and a vice. I built my first AR and have sence completed two other uppers. Buying an upper with the barrel installed takes most of the hassle out of the purchase. A lot of uppers come minus Bolt Carrier Group, Charging Handle, and sights. These are easy to install and are usually removed during regular cleaning so you will know how to assemble them with any purchase you make. Some uppers come complete with all those parts and you just pop it on a built lower, load a mag and have some fun. Just depends on if the parts you want are in the package you are buying.

#36 · (Edited)
Palmetto State Armory runs some very good Daily Deals on complete lowers and uppers, and BCG. Some come with charging handle & BCG, but most without. The really good deals sell out same day, so it pays to know what you want, subscribe to their Daily Deal emails, and be ready to buy - piece by piece or all at once. Bought my son a "cosmetically blemished" (LGS & I had a tough time finding the blem) complete lower and BCG for Christmas, a complete upper and Magpul Pro rear sight for his birthday, and off to the range he went - for about five and a half bills, with Magpul furniture and no specialty tools required. BTW, we received our orders in about 5-7 calendar days.

Next time I've got some impatient C-notes screaming to be converted to an AR, I'll buy this same way. It worked for us.

#37 ·
I'm not sure what I want. I'm thinking a match or varmit barrel, and a good trigger. Accuracy is important, will primarily be a range and plinking gun.

I assume the accuracy comes from the barrel, and if I change my mind I just swap barrels or uppers?

#38 ·
The trigger as well. You can buy a complete lower and replace the trigger for a better trigger. Match triggers are in the $200 range and up. Uppers you can swap as you said. Get a heavy profile bull barrel that is free floated for match shooting but you will need some good glass for that. Then if you just want a different upper with a different caliber or shooting style then you just switch uppers.

#40 ·
I ended up just buying the M&P sport 2. I kept going back and forth but figured for the price I can either upgrade this how I want, or just sell it later if I find out I want something different.

And the LGS had them for $599, so that made the difference. Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft Airsoft gun

#44 ·
I ended up just buying the M&P sport 2. I kept going back and forth but figured for the price I can either upgrade this how I want, or just sell it later if I find out I want something different.

And the LGS had them for $599, so that made the difference. View attachment 25156
Awesome choice! I really want to add a M&P AR to my collection but rarely do I have $600 all at once to do it! Congratulations on the purchase and hurry up and get a range report. I am curious if it likes both 55gr and 62gr equally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.