Florida Concealed Carry banner

Kahr/Auto Ordnance pakerized milspec 1911

19K views 138 replies 19 participants last post by  Rick McC. 
#1 ·
I pick it up this afternoon. I wanted another milspec carry with the little nub front sight like my SA milspecs carried back in the day. Got this one in parkerized with the plastic grip panels. A no frills workhorse I can bang around and sweat all over without worrying about it being scratched or finish damaged etc.

If I'm going to a bar b que, I'll take the Ed Brown. For daily carry, the AO, once it's been run hard and found reliable achieves the goal of a no frills gov model that's carried daily.

I sold the Ruger sr1911 lw cmd, the front sight was just too much of a distraction for me in the way I've run a 1911 since 81.

#100 ·
Nice pics!

Also, the trigger pull weight was four pounds, six ounces; exactly midway between the specified 4 1/4 - 4 1/2 pound pull weight range.

I don't know what is up with the slide serrations; something to do with the prep for the parked finish, I guess.

I tried cleaning the grooves up with Eezox and a tooth brush, then hard wooden toothpicks, but the way they look is the way they look.

If you ever do decide to get it refinished; I'd clean the grooves up a bit with a jeweler's file first.

I'm looking forward to your range report. :grin

#107 ·
I didn't realize S4 was addressing me. I shoot right handed but am a natural southpaw, thus either hand is available. Scott's correct, I carry condition 0 once it's in the holster. Particularly with this one with the series 80 safety feature.

If it's not condition 0, it's condition 3 used as a floater mex carry to the snub in the rear pocket.

Yup, I shoot rifles left side due to the slightly dominant left eye. I'm not much good taking them to the right shoulder

#109 ·
Oh youz guys are like brothers, so how do u do the sighted shooting right handed with left eye dominant?

#125 ·
:thumsup I really like the way this AO runs. I'm prejudice, carried milspecs just like it but by SA for 28 years professionally. This one duplicates exactly what I had on the streets [ those two SA's had been worked on by one of the best gunsmiths in the US at the time ]. It's a new gun, but a really old friend, it could be either one of the SA's I became one with if I closed my eyes.

#126 ·
Here it is again, for those who've not seen it posted previously.

First two show mine
3rd photo is generic off the net.

Attachments

#131 ·
Been a busy last 4 weeks with two trips to the desert per week training others. Instead of using the no sights 1911 I decided to give the AO some bang time. A case of ammo down the tube with NO fte/ftf's. That puts the round count at about 1600 rds without any reliability issues.

Once again, can't thank Rick McC enough for working the magic into this 1911 gov model. Everyone who shot it was impressed with it's accuracy and performance. It's been so damned reliable, I've put it back in rotation with the Shield 45, though the shield will get most of the duty with the heat we're about to be overwhelmed with for several months.

#132 · (Edited)
I was glad to do it, Sir.

The few hours spent was a pittance compared to what you've given so many of us. :thumsup

Believe it or not; I've not run across an AO down here. I may have to settle for a SA Milspec to make my comparable "truck/boat gun," using the same upgrades and fitting I did on yours.

#135 ·
:thumsup

- - - Updated - - -

Funny, I was just thinking about that MILSPEC AO 1911 as I awoke this morning. I really need to get on with that acquisition! Glad to read of your most recent outing and report on the complete reliability of that weapon brownie. It just makes me want one even more! :2thumsup
:thumsup

#138 ·
Rick, if you're going to swap out internals anyway, I'd suggest looking at a Rock Island Milspec or GI. Save you a good bit over a Springer, and their main bits are extremely solid. They've become quite popular among the high-end custom guys to do complete builds on.

#133 ·
Funny, I was just thinking about that MILSPEC AO 1911 as I awoke this morning. I really need to get on with that acquisition! Glad to read of your most recent outing and report on the complete reliability of that weapon brownie. It just makes me want one even more! :2thumsup

#136 ·
This one is setting up to be every bit as reliable as the two SA milspecs I carried for decades [ and shot one in matches to boot for 5 years running 300K through it in that time frame ].

I had a master 1911 armorer do trigger jobs and reliability work on the two SA's and they were always flawlessly functioning for decades [ one being rebuilt twice ].

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.