Florida Concealed Carry banner

Kahr/Auto Ordnance pakerized milspec 1911

19K views 138 replies 19 participants last post by  Rick McC. 
#1 ·
I pick it up this afternoon. I wanted another milspec carry with the little nub front sight like my SA milspecs carried back in the day. Got this one in parkerized with the plastic grip panels. A no frills workhorse I can bang around and sweat all over without worrying about it being scratched or finish damaged etc.

If I'm going to a bar b que, I'll take the Ed Brown. For daily carry, the AO, once it's been run hard and found reliable achieves the goal of a no frills gov model that's carried daily.

I sold the Ruger sr1911 lw cmd, the front sight was just too much of a distraction for me in the way I've run a 1911 since 81.

#3 · (Edited)
That's the one I'll be taking possession of this afternoon, it's on the truck out for delivery at this time. :grin

Supposedly most are running 5-5.5 #'s on the trigger pull. The trigger is described as a mid length, though I prefer the short triggers in the 1911's, this one is an acceptable compromise, for me. I didn't like the long trigger of the Ruger I just sold to be replaced with this AO milspec.

Thanks for the pic,

#5 · (Edited)
Will do sir, maybe I'll get some up this afternoon. First thing will be to put the break cleaner to it, remove all evidence of their oil/s used and relube it with gun slick in preparation for a range date. :thumsup

Is that your AO milspec in the pic?

#8 ·
Will do sir, maybe I'll get some up this afternoon. First thing will be to put the break cleaner to it, remove all evidence of their oil/s used and relube it with gun slick in preparation for a range date. :thumsup
I mainly use the Gun Slick Ultra Klenz (12 oz spray can) for cleaning and one of a couple different quality gun oils for lube. Looking forward to your pics & a 1st shooting impressions.

#6 ·
:thumsup Nice! Just read an old review of that handgun written when it first came out. Might have to put one of those on my list! :grin

#14 ·
Okay, picked it up, some initial observations at the shop.

1. Covered in oil, including the firing pin channel.
2. Seemed a little gritty on the cycling. Slide to frame fit, a very little play when in battery, very little.

Got it home and field stripped, observations.

1. The series 80 fp block was different but not all that much trouble to depress and remove the firing pin. Soaked in oil, the spring is very tight in the channel. FP is a 38 super pin [ most all come that way today, not unexpected ] I may swap out for the 45 pin.
2. Barrel bushing was TIGHT in the slide, almost needed to go get the bushing wrench. Bushing was as tight on the barrel.
3. Break cleaner douche of parts, fp channel
4. Gun slick applied
5. Back together, the series 80 plunger took some figuring out how to depress it and depress the fp back into the channel at the same time.
6. Running the slide manually letting the gun slick get worked throughout the rails, in just several cycles, I could hear and feel the slide gliding much smoother on the rails.
7. Loaded 3 mags with 230 ball for feed testing. Flawless feeding and ejection on all three.

The throat on the feed ramp is quite wide and opened up to accept HP's, not mirror finished, but a LOT better than I expected from this one. Really happy to be back to the old slab sides with minimal ww2 fixed sights that I carried professionally for decades. Tomorrow I may get to the range, but range report to follow. Based on what I felt on feeding and seeing their extraction, this one will likely run very well.

More to follow

#15 ·
That sounds like you've got a good one!

I'm a bit surprised that they put a 9mm/Super38 FP in a pistol with a firing pin safety system; trying to be "double safe," I guess.

How's the trigger?

Beyond the other "upgrades" I mentioned, if you decide it's a long term "keeper;" I think you'd really like a Harrison Custom Extreme Service ignition set (matched EDM tool steel hammer, sear and disconnector).

I installed a set on one of my 1911's a few years ago, and it provides a clean, crisp trigger pull that's almost unbelievable. Anyone that's tried mine can't believe that the pull is almost five pounds (like yours; it's a carry gun). They always think it's a much lower pull weight, but, as you well know; the pull weight is only one of the things that makes up the "feel" of a great trigger.

#16 ·
This one seems gritty, and I'm wondering if it's the park finish needing to be smoothed off from use. I plan on keeping it, and we'll talk next weekend on some of the work to make it a real sleeper :grin

#18 ·
My buddy has a mil spec SA sitting in his safe waiting for me. I like the minimalist set up of these guns, smaller beaver tail and mil spec hammer. How about the Bob Marvel recoil rod/spring? Anybody ever try one?

#19 ·
Hadn't heard of them, researched it and apparently Nighthawk is working with them in some way. I've tried the mercury filled guide rods, group grippers in the past. Though they seemed to work as advertised, they were experiments whose use gave insight but were not retained in the guns.

#20 ·
Same reasons why I picked up a Rock Island 1911A1, milspec and simple. It's a workhorse.

#21 ·
#28 ·
Barry, I no longer have this gun in my possession. :grin

It's been shipped to a master gunsmith for some high speed/low drag internal ignition parts and springs. It's going to be a sleeper looking like a lowly milspec. :rofl

#36 ·
Me too until I put an apex trigger into a fs mp9, shaved down the large backstrap to fit my hand better.

#39 ·
It's a lifelong debate what to carry. 1911, something, 1911 something else, 1911 another something...I worry that on my deathbed I will announce "the ------ is my perfect carry weapon"

Jim is tooling me a Panther IWB F series as we speak for my Sig P224 SAS in .357 sig which has a capacity of eleven. Since my back has been so bad I've been carrying the Shield .40. I'm thinking of fashioning my N.A.A. Pug into a hairpiece as a BUG

#42 ·
I like it a lot, the two finger grip takes getting used to but I like the pistol better than the Glock 27/33 that heavy DA won't be felt when the weapon is needed, and is comforting that a ND is less likely than with the Glock. If I feel better I'll say hello when you are in town and let ya try her. It does take 229 mags too.

R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.