Florida Concealed Carry banner

The Scoop Draw up on you tube!!!!

28K views 114 replies 27 participants last post by  krimgeo 
#1 ·
#4 ·
That's a great video brownie! It's been working well for me ever since I learned if from you! I've never lost control of the gun in thousands of draws during dry fire or live fire shooting! :thumsup

Reactions: brownie
#6 ·
As usual, Brownie, you make it look easy! Practice! Keep in mind that modern fabrics might require a different technique.
...As posted on the 'tube.

This is easy to practice with cotton shirts, but modern fabrics can make this a challenge.

I prefer this method for the reasons given.:thumsup

#8 ·
It's the simple stuff that can kill you!:thumsup

#9 ·
As always another great teaching video sir! It seemed in the slo-mo (just after the 5:10 mark) that you started the scoop with the four fingers but somewhere around a third of the way up(?) your point finger started to drop down in preparation for the draw and your thumb began to engage at about three quarters of the way up(?)

"Appreciate the thoughts folks. I knew many people couldn't visualizer it in narrative on the boards, so it was long overdue. "

Don't know why but the bolded triggered a memory of QKR where Brownie is bustling about the range amongst the students like The ENERGIZER Bunny!:grin

Endless energy, nonstop teaching and ohhhh the stories!!!:bowdown

#11 ·
Great video explanation!
To counter a threat at very close distance could the scoop draw be combined with a speed-rock presentation? The video also demonstrated just how far out ahead of you the muzzle is on full extension of the arm.

Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

#12 ·
It could be scoop draw to 1/4 hip, you were seeing 1/2 hip presentations and though it looks like it's sticking out there, that skill is used for 3-9 feet If one were at 3 feet and moved on one using 1/2 as was shown in the vid, the extension wouldn't be made but the off hand would be in defend mode while the pistol was drawn to 1/4 hip. 1/4 hip isn't for the feint of heart, limp wristing is a real concern [ though it happens rarely for me, it happens ] and thus if pressed in close as you suggest, either use h2h to create the distance to draw and fire or draw while using the left arm to keep them just off the muzzle.

In the real world, if they're that close to the gun as it presents, I'm likely going to revert to a skill for near contact shot/s by first pressing the muzzle into them and quickly retracting while firing. That prevents some semi's from going out of battery in any struggle in tight. Trained that skill as a default contact shot drill to remain a constant no matter what firearm is being used.

Speed rock wasn't something I'd ever use in close. Rocking back, it's too easy to be unbalanced as your upper isn't supported by the lower body. As the years have passed, it's become recognized for just that and dropped from most training. Appreciate the questions, and thoughts

#16 ·
Good video! I find the scoop draw to be very natural and reliable.

#17 ·
I find much of everything brownie teaches to be just that! :thumsup

#19 ·
once mastered it doesn't get any easier than a single handed draw....quick to the first shot and nothing in the way....brownies training teaches you how to use the skills you already possess...you just didn't know it...that's what makes everything so natural....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjThHrERfWU

#21 ·
I have a question, as previously mentioned by Tominator iirc... the fact that this draw stroke, or any that have to clear a shirt first works much better with cotton than with other materials. I prefer to wear polyester t shirts particularly in the summer because they wick the persiration better. The downside is that they don't have the "body" of cotton and they drape / conform to shapes easily. Where a cotton shirt will easilly pull clear of the gun butt, polyster will drape around it and catch it from the bottom. Brownie, can you offer anything to counter that? TIA -

#23 ·
Great observation by you and Tom sir..

I can use the scoop draw with any shirt, form fitting or not IF the holster will allow [ no sharp edges for material to catch on ] the shirt to ride over it without snagging the bottom of it. It would only take a tweak or two with the basic skill to adjust for the form fitting vs loose T.

Right off the top of my head, when using the 3-4 fingers to snag the shirt for raising, simply grabbing shirt closer to the bottom of the holster would solve the potential issue. Little practice with it would certainly result in A way to clear the form fitter shirt IMO

Thanks Steve

#25 · (Edited)
#30 ·
i was looking at that the other day when it came out....looked like he cleared the shirt and had his hand on his gun before he came into frame....but real smooth and managed to pop the driver of the vehicle in the shoulder to stop the crime...seems like he took a long look at what was happening before drawing the gun...cant blame him...you never know what youre walking into....would love to see the footage of his approach and the shot....especially with the owner on the hood of the car....

#35 ·
:thumsup

#34 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.