Florida Concealed Carry banner

laws on shooting on property

13K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  dogrunner 
#1 ·
I looked on here and online and couldnt find what i was looking for. I want to know the laws on shooting on ones property and cannot find them. I know different counties have different ordinances but I am still lost. I have heard everything from 500 feet to 300 yards from streets and buildings. anyone know where I can find this info or do they know? I am looking for information for Pasco Fl if counties make a difference. sorry for not knowing this.

#2 ·
I thought there was a provision stating you couldn't fire a weapon with 1000 feet of a dwelling/house but can't seem to find it.

#3 ·
According to Florida Statute 790.15 if you knowingly discharge a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or knowingly discharge a firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises, you are guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, but this section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0790/SEC15.HTM&Title=->2008->Ch0790->Section%2015#0790.15

790.15 Discharging firearm in public.--

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or whosoever knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Division of Forestry.

This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Division of Forestry.

#6 ·
I may not have made my point clear, what I meant by my post was that it was illegal:

to discharge a firearm in any public place

or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street

or knowingly discharge a firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street

or over any occupied premises,

BUT ... as long as you do not do any of the above, and you are on your own property, you will not be in violation of the law.

#5 ·
If you believe that you are in danger for your life, you can shoot where ever you want on your property. Asking the BGto move to a few hundred yards from the street may be a tough sell. :rolf

#7 ·
nice patrick. I will remember to ask him as i offer a bribe.

tampassgt, I figured that is what you meant I just didnt know if I should read into what I thought.

my reasoning is that I have a couple acres where it would be a lot easier and less restrictive to shoot. and of course it would be a lot cheaper considering the prices of some ranges.

#8 ·
I believe that it's illegal to discharge a firearm within city limits in most places, your property or not - is it not? Years ago we would go out into the unincorporated ares of the county and target shoot but i am not to sure about that now. I go to a indoor range and know i am legal.

#9 ·
I've had this same question for awhile. Technically, Florida statute should trump all the county ordinances, and only the things that T-Sarge mentioned should be an issue. Nevertheless, I see all kinds of rules- contradictory ones at that- posted in various venues. I'd like a real legal opinion with case law behind it.

#11 ·
Read the opinion of then Atty Gen, now Gov. Crist........2005-40 rendered to the Sheriff of Indian River Co. on a proposed Co. Ordinance...........

In brief, Crist's opinion, which stands as law, unless or until overturned by a court, holds that both Co's & Cities are without ANY power to regulate firearms, with limited exception..........the discharge of same is not among the exceptions!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.