Florida Concealed Carry banner

Cc at gun show question

15K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  Rich7553 
#1 ·
I was looking at going to this weekend's gun show, I was wondering if it's legal to carry. I know it sounds stupid being a gun show and asking this but I want to make sure that some one having one to sell vs one for self defense is looked differently legal wise.

#2 · (Edited)
As long as it's not on school grounds, a police station, a jail, an airport terminal, a bar, a courthouse, or any other place prohibited by statute (but then again it would also be unlawful to have the gun show there in the first place), it's perfectly legal.

And no, you do not have to answer any questions like "Do you have any guns on you?" or abide by any requests to "check your carry gun" by anyone at the door, cop or otherwise.

Contradictory, nancy-boy, hand-wringers offering feelings and suggestions/advise are sure to follow.

#4 ·
NAL there are usually signs saying no loaded guns allowed inside.
These signs, are nothing more, legally speaking, than someone expressing their wishes, want or desires. They carry no legal weight whatsoever in, and of, themselves.

And if they do ask as they always do if you have one what is one supposed to say if we don't have to answer them?
Anything that comes to mind (or nothing at all), I suppose.

I'm not going to offer any advise, but personally I like "Guns? Heck no, those things are icky. I'm only here for the jerky".

#6 ·
Gun show where? Dade fair grounds has metal detectors. They zip guns action open and you go on. A lot of people do that.

#8 ·
No metal detectors at the ones I've been to in Polk or Volusia. Regardless, the metal in my hip always causes the detectors to go off at the concerts I attend that have detectors. Never an issue. :grin

-on Tapatalk

#10 ·
Concealed is concealed.

#11 ·
No metal detectors in Tallahassee (Southern Knife and Gun Show), but they definitely have a posted policy about carrying CC, and have a Deputy Sheriff at the door to ask the direct question and apply the zip tie. It may be a liability insurance issue for the gun show promoter.

#13 ·
Nah. More like they're so used to carrying, they feel like something's off when they aren't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

#38 ·
Gawd. :doh
If there are not metal detectors,just signs, and somebody asks you to leave...you'll miss whatever you were looking there... the whole zip thing is a bother for me, as others see what/where I'm carrying. I leave in the car and done with it. No gun handling etc.

And no, the reason for no guns isn't someone wanting to shoot others..

#39 ·
A gun show is held a couple of times each year at the Indian River County Fairgrounds. The fair grounds and the building on the grounds where the gun show is held is County property, paid for with tax dollars and maintained by County employees. At the gun show they have the big sign out front saying concealed weapons are prohibited. If memory serves, the sign states that even those with concealed weapons licenses are prohibited from entry with a concealed weapon. "Violators will be arrested and prosecuted." No metal detectors, but a gaggle of deputies dressed out with their most intimidating tactical garb, vests, and darkest sunglasses they could find.

I was surmising (maybe wrongly) that although this location is not a prohibited place to carry concealed with the CCW license, the vendor renting the hall from the County has the right to restrict entry with a concealed weapon as he would at a private business. I know the sign means nothing, but I've been asked point blank at the door "Do you have a firearm on you?" I'm not going to dance around their question or take the chance of the situation escalating to an armed trespass, so I have always left my gun in my vehicle.

Where, exactly, does the law fall with regard to vendors renting County facilities? I think I'm correct that the County could not bar access to a person carrying concealed to a County sponsored function in this same building, but what rights are vendors granted to make the rules in this situation?

#41 ·
It's uncharted territory. The legal question is - can a governmental entity legally permit a private, short-term tenant to exercise an authority that the government itself does not have in that same facility? I don't believe so. But in that context, can anyone suggest a parallel situation outside of the realm of gun shows?

#49 ·
Not a real life example comes to mind but... let's think in a possible scenario..... parks get rented all the time. Sometimes for bigger activities than a birthday. I've been in fact in activities of religious nature where someone not "invited" is not admitted.... I'm bringing this because when the activity is of such scale that blocks an area of a public place and restricts entrance based in a protected right, like freedom of religion..... isn't the same?

Same would apply for government owned properties.... people living there would establish rules.:dunno

#50 ·
Hey,

I hate to revive this thread after so long, but I was at a gun show about a week ago. The guy who came in ahead of me was asked if he had a weapon on him, and he said he had his concealed carry weapon with him. They zip tied his Ruger LCP, and said they would need to hold the magazine until he left the show. That really didn't sit right with me. Apparently it didn't with him either cause he asked for his magazine back to take his weapon to his vehicle. Has anyone seen that done before?

-Mac

#51 ·
Note for next time, bring third magazine and print out a document for them to sign which states replacement fee of $100 if magazine is lost damaged or destroyed while in their care. Pull it out as smoothly as they ask the question. Look at it as an opportunity to Kane $100 off a $30 mag and $10 worth of ammo.

#52 ·
Have you ever heard of somebody being attacked at a gun show?

Every now and then, you'll hear about a gun going off at one, but that's usually some kind of negligent discharge. These are usually the safest places you can be, so carrying a concealed weapon into an emporium of hardware is ferrying coals to Newcastle.

#56 ·
The reason for carrying at a gun show is simply so one doesn't need to risk theft of the firearm from one's vehicle while inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.