Hospitals, Local & Federal Government Buildings..
Just a thought, why not a list of all the Florida AND Federal places that are "off-limits"? Plus put in there that just because a sign is posted, and it's not on the "list", stating "No Firearms" it doesn't mean you are legally not allowed to carry there, but if asked to leave do it "at an expediant pace". And I don't mean a copy and paste from the regulation. Im looking more for a real simple "Police Station, Court, K-12 Schools" kind of list. I'm just lookin' for stuff that is more helpful to the folks looking into getting a CHL. We could call it "Where Can I Carry" or something of that nature. Maybe even get advanced as to list the name & address in XXXXXX County. It would take some time. I know, at least in my world, there are places on the "list" I rarely go more than once a year if at all. Then there are other places(Federal buildings/property) I'm in all the time.
I got the idea for this when I was talking to my old man about a CHL and he made the comment, "Why, you can't really take it with you anywhere." So, now it's time to make the uneducated a real simple, black and white, list of places you cannot take your firearm. I know some people I have spoken to are really surprised about where you CAN take your concealed firearm.
Just a thought.
"Because sometimes, it doesn't have to make sense."
Hospitals, Local & Federal Government Buildings..
The 2008 Florida Statutes
PUBLIC HEALTH Chapter 394
MENTAL HEALTH View Entire Chapter
394.458 Introduction or removal of certain articles unlawful; penalty.--
(1)(a) Except as authorized by law or as specifically authorized by the person in charge of each hospital providing mental health services under this part, it is unlawful to introduce into or upon the grounds of such hospital, or to take or attempt to take or send therefrom, any of the following articles, which are hereby declared to be contraband for the purposes of this section:
1. Any intoxicating beverage or beverage which causes or may cause an intoxicating effect;
2. Any controlled substance as defined in chapter 893; or
3. Any firearms or deadly weapon.
(b) It is unlawful to transmit to, or attempt to transmit to, or cause or attempt to cause to be transmitted to, or received by, any patient of any hospital providing mental health services under this part any article or thing declared by this section to be contraband, at any place which is outside of the grounds of such hospital, except as authorized by law or as specifically authorized by the person in charge of such hospital.
(2) A person who violates any provision of this section commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
History.--s. 1, ch. 75-253; s. 201, ch. 77-147; s. 1, ch. 77-174; s. 6, ch. 96-169.
Referencing florida firearms law according to F.S.790.25 should be considered authurized by law to have your weapon securly encased in your vehicle.
now under FS 790.06(12) doesn't list hospitals but i wouldn't want to be a test case.
12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
I guess i would just lock it up in my car in a secure locked case to be safe.
Ive been in most of the hospitals in south florida, they all have a "No Firearms" sign. Since I see it at every hospital, I assume it's a general thing. Ill ask some LEO's I know..
While I realize that I speak English and not Lawyer and I could be wrong but if you aren't a mental health patient, or try to give a mental health patient,a gun why would you not be able to carry --- aside from hospital policy that is but not a violation of law.3. Any firearms or deadly weapon.
(b) It is unlawful to transmit to, or attempt to transmit to, or cause or attempt to cause to be transmitted to, or received by, any patient of any hospital providing mental health services
While I understand the reasons that certain places are off limits it still doesn't make me feel any safer when the time comes for me to cross a parking lot even in broad daylight.
Last edited by OrlandoDriver; 09-05-2008 at 01:28 AM.
I work in a hospital and I'd be damned if I'm going all the way to my car to get my gun.
"Test Case", no more than anybody else in Big Brother's House