Florida Concealed Carry banner

Divisive Topic - IDPA or USPSA?

10K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  FCAGuro 
#1 ·
Since we are no longer premitted to discuss that certain hotly debated "topic," not even in the "topic specific" Boiler Room; I thought I'd ask which is better IDPA or USPSA? I have not participated in either; but, plan to start soon. My goals are: (1) to have fun, (2) to practice skills that may save my life one day. I do not foresee getting too caught up in the "competition with others" aspect. I do intend to compete with myself, in the sense of getting better and better and improving my skills at reloads, drawing, shooting while moving, shooting and moving, using cover, etc.

With these goals in mind, which is the better program?

#7 ·
^^^^

I didn't want to get into bad habits. I'll keep doing what I practice at home.

#3 ·
Neither

IPSC ftw

#5 ·
#10 ·
International Practical Shooting Confederation and For The Win.

Keep up!

- - - Updated - - -

Jeff Cooper formed IPSC/USPSA. For me there are to many rules in IDPA. Some say it is more "real life". I don't like things like you can only reload from cover don't drop mags etc. USPSA is more like no rules in a gun fight, you figure out how to shoot it. IDPA is more like, can you follow the rules in a gun fight. IMHO
Exactly, subjective cover etc. Then again you can't use a lot of holsters with IPSC but for me it was great

#8 ·
Actually Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat helped form IDPA back in the day

#9 ·
Jeff Cooper formed IPSC/USPSA. For me there are to many rules in IDPA. Some say it is more "real life". I don't like things like you can only reload from cover don't drop mags etc. USPSA is more like no rules in a gun fight, you figure out how to shoot it. IDPA is more like, can you follow the rules in a gun fight. IMHO

#12 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I've identified two good clubs, one IDPA, the other USPSA. Just have to learn a little more about each, and figure out which is the better fit for my purposes.

Keep the comments/suggestions coming,

#13 · (Edited)
One thing you'll notice, the attitude of USPSA shooters is full of testosterone, really into the racing competitive aspect of it all and not very kind people in general, including new shooters (some are right down annoying pricks, i.e. they constantly call IDPA sport "IDPGay"). IDPA on the other hand is super friendly and welcoming to new shooters, people will give lots of pointers and guide you along the way.

I would absolutely recommend IDPA for the first time competitive shooter. Less distance (and rounds) with sound use of cover which is about the only common sense rule they have. Also, no race equipment allowed so more realistic in that you can shoot with your full size or compact EDC with a cover garment. Only 3 mags needed vs 4 to 5 with USPSA. Now, USPSA (American spinoff of IPSC, dunno where DEA shoots IPSC when most clubs host USPSA matches) is a true run and gun, very few rules, shoot them as you see them. Way more rounds and distance per stage. In general mixing in USPSA will make you a better IDPA shooter.

Both sports will ingrain really bad habits, sorry but it's true. As long as you know that all is good. And yes, you'll eventually get the "competition" bug :grin

#14 ·
One thing you'll notice, the attitude of USPSA shooters is full of testosterone, really into the racing competitive aspect of it all and not very kind people in general, including new shooters (some are right down annoying pricks, i.e. they constantly call IDPA sport "IDPGay"). IDPA on the other hand is super friendly and welcoming to new shooters, people will give lots of pointers and guide you along the way.

I would absolutely recommend IDPA for the first time competitive shooter. Less distance (and rounds) with sound use of cover which is about the only common sense rule they have. Also, no race equipment allowed so more realistic in that you can shoot with your full size or compact EDC with a cover garment. Only 3 mags needed vs 4 to 5 with USPSA. Now, USPSA (American spinoff of IPSC, dunno where DEA shoots IPSC when most clubs host USPSA matches) is a true run and gun, very few rules, shoot them as you see them. Way more rounds and distance per stage. In general mixing in USPSA will make you a better IDPA shooter.

Both sports will ingrain really bad habits, sorry but it's true. As long as you know that all is good. And yes, you'll eventually get the "competition" bug :grin
I could not disagree more with the bolded statement. I think you are painting with a broad brush.

#18 ·
You may be right about the unfortunate situation with the group of ppl that shoot USPSA around Orlando. In reality is just a handful of shooters with the "mine is bigger than yours" attitude. Regrettably this group attends all the matches in the surrounding ranges.

I do enjoy the speed and accuracy aspect of USPSA so I haven't given up on it by a long mile, actually have been shooting way more USPSA than IDPA, partially because the belt setup is more comfortable and easy on/off, LOL the lazy bastard I am.

I probably need to find the right crowd to squad with. I like being squad with ppl I don't know, keeps it fresh.

#19 ·
After a bit of research, I am inclined to go with IDPA, at least at first. Maybe try USPSA once I grow more comfortable. I do have a question (silly maybe). In a lot of the stuff I have read, and in the Youtube videos I've watched, the IDPA participants (competitors? :dunno) all seem to be wearing the hokey "action vests." I reviewed the rules which call for a cover garment. Can the cover garment be my untucked polo shirt, or perhaps a buttoned up tropical shirt? I don't wear vests or open front shirts over a T-shirt. I'd like to practice the way I carry.

Is that allowed? Or do I need to run out an buy the hokey vest?

#20 ·
You can absolutely use an untucked polo shirt, long enough to conceal both gun and mags. Be VERY careful when re-holstering. Long story short, you need to be able to re-holster with one hand. If you use your weak hand to control the shirt riding over the holster and you muzzle your own hand, love handles, or any part of your body (muzzle pointed inwards), GAME OVER (Disqualified). That's why the majority of shooters use a tucked in shirt and the silly vest (including myself :grin). The other aspect of the vest is that it has some weight to it so it's easier to flick it out of the way for a fast draw and reloads. it also facilitates easier reloads "with retention" (back to reading for you, LOL!). About loose buttoned up shirts, they are prone to getting in the way with the lightest of a breeze. And ol' trick is to sew in a quarter in the corners of the shirt ;)

#27 ·
#28 ·
#29 ·
#30 ·
That was my understanding, too but he's not yet provided anything backing up that SFPC actually conducts an IPSC sanctioned match, not just under a USPSA sanction. In other words, if a USPSA sanction is tantamount to a delegated IPSC sanction, then wouldn't all USPSA matches fit the bill, not just those at SFPC?

#34 ·
????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.