144 58.06%
  • No I would not

46 18.55%
  • Thats just asking for trouble

26 10.48%
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry in Florida

Open Carry in Florida

After reading tales of open carry in other states in different forums, I have a question for Florida concealed permit holders.
    If you could open Carry legally in Florida, would you?

I don't think I would want the attention but there are a few places where I wish I could.

Administrator
    Even though you will stand out to GG,s and BG,s alike anyone would think twice about making you a victim. Some will say that it will make you the first target in a bank robbery or hostage situation but if you plan to open carry you will have to have a different mindset all together.

It most likely will never happen but I wish it would.

While I understand that open carry could make you a target in the event that someone was bound and determined to effect a crime.
    IE: You are in a restaurant that gets robbed, robber spots you're openly displayed weapon before you are able to draw...and you become an immediate target.

That said...I also believe in the credo that states and armed society...is a polite society. Odds are...if the KNOW you are armed...they will give you a wide berth. Generally speaking...criminals are looking for prey...the easy score...not someone that might shoot them.

However...because of the possibility of your gun being taken and potentially used against you...your situational awareness better be at the top of its game!

Likely best to continue to carry concealed all in all...

I hope open carry is somethng that will come through one day. I definitely would open carry some places like the bank etc. Not all situations warrant carrying in the open like going to church. In the mean time I can't wait for my carry license to arrive.

Just a bit of history here.

Prior to about '72 that was the ONLY way one could carry a licensed pistol or 'repeating' rifle since the first licensing law was passed in 1894. But the licenses were only good in the County they were issued from. Approximately at the stated year the legislature modified the law and permitted cc with the license. When the '87 law passed the initial intent was to permit unlicensed open carry, as is the usual law in most States. Unfortunately the liberal press made a field day of the practice and some fools played to the audience by wearing 'buscadero' rigs in Miami and other major citys. Then SA Janet Reno (then a Fla. State's Attorney) got on board and haranged our courageous legislature which promptly knee jerked and outlawed a practice that had always been legal.

Personally I think we could get it back, but now only as a licensed practice, further we'd have to drum up some support from an influential legislator or organization with credibility such as the USF under Marion Hammer.

Outlawing it was truly a solution for a non existant problem.
    Last edited by dogrunner; 05-30-2008 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks for that history lesson Dogrunner. Its very interesting. I too would love to have the option to open carry as the need arise. As you can see from my avatar I ride a motorcycle. I ride to and from work 5-6 days a week and the easiest way to carry would be to strap my weapon to my thigh. Right now I struggle to find a comfortable position for my weapon when riding.

I would willingly petition the right person to have a pro open carry law passed.

It would be nice have the option to Open carry, although I would rarely do it. It helps in FL weather, don't have to worry constantly about printing or having proper cover garments.
    - Kahr CW9 -
    - Springfield Armory XD9 Service -

I would'nt open carry either however it would be nice not having to worry about printing. Nothing like the element of surprise.
    SUPPORT FREEDOM'S TRUE HEROES,
    THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

I would open carry to my car and back, and some areas where I wouldnt be cramped next to another people, like a small gas station.

Sposors