Florida Concealed Carry banner

Have you ever completed an internet sale face-to-face with a "stranger" ?

• Yes, and I would again.

Votes: 50 66.7%
  • Yes, but I will not do so again.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I would under certain circumstances.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • No, and I don't think I ever will.

Votes: 4 5.3%

Face-to-face gun sales to internet "strangers"

11K views 43 replies 27 participants last post by  Shadow160 
#1 ·
I have (and likely will in the future) met up with perfect strangers in public places (e.g. parking lots) in order to close a firearms deal begun on a website like Florida Gun Trader, or FCC's classifieds. I hesitate to say how many times I have done so (NSA/ATF :smack), but suffice it to say it has been enough to get a representative sampling of most of the types of people who might be inclined to come to such a meet up.

I have never had any major issues. Most people are courteous and decent folks who enjoy the hobby as I do. I have never been robbed, shortchanged, threatened, etc. etc. I did have one no-show, despite having confirmed the transaction the night before. That was frustrating, but not more.

What say you? Have you done a face-to-face sale with an internet stranger? Would you do so again? Why or why not?

#2 ·
I've bought and sold guns off of the internet, and those transactions were always with strangers. I've made deals in my driveway, at the range and in a Wal-Mart parking lot. Naturally, I'm always armed during these events, but I don't think it's that big a deal if you use some common sense and listen to your inner voice. And no, I never did a bill of sale. :grin

#43 ·
this^^^

ive sold countless items on the net including home furnishings, high end audio equipment, vehicles, motorcycles, guns, fishing equipment, all of my boats which included some high dollar sales that involved bank transfers and such...

I am cautious but welcoming and make my stipulations clear as to how a deal will happen...ive walked into others homes purchasing items also...I enjoy the contact and learn a lot about people in the process...

#3 ·
I have and would again but I'm also smart about. I do my best to get a sense of the person ahead of time, meet in a public place during daylight hours and typically arrive early. I once met a guy at a rest stop on Alligator Alley - right within sight of the fire station. I don't BS around so I have no reason not be up front and in the open. If somebody wanted to meet up at 10PM behind the liquor store next to the Winn Dixie, I'd let the cup pass on that deal :grin

#4 ·
Done is before, and has never been a problem. If it is a complete stranger (a.k.a. armslist and the like), I usually suggest meeting at a public place.

#5 ·
Meet in front of a local law enforcement building. Could work.......And never go alone. Say, don't the perps who would think it a good way to steal a gun realize you may have a concealed firearms besides the one you are selling? I have met with one person about two years ago. I asked they sign the one page statement swearing to being legally authorized to have, buy guns. He signed it and said he felt better too. He was somewhat concerned the gun may have been hot. Two way street, right?

In business you either sell to strangers now and then or keep selling to family like when you tried to sell Kool Aide in front of your house when you were a kid. Uh, would not try that today though and I would not let my kids be exposed to potential pedophiles!

#7 ·
I'm not sure what a stranger is in this context. I have sold a gun to a person on the forum. I didn't know him personally, but I knew him from the forum, so was he a stranger. No problems whatsoever with that.

#11 · (Edited)
Fair question; one that comes down to how well you can "know" someone you've never met in person, and then only after a time....
I'll leave that discussion for match[dot]com. :rofl

**EDIT** With no disrespect meant to anyone who has done differently, I would NEVER sell to an "internet stranger" from my own home. I have purchased a gun from a guy in his driveway, and I thought, "This doesn't seem real bright on his part..." Turns out he was HCSO.

#8 ·
I have done so many times as well. But I never let them by myself. I've always taken a friend who was armed and observed from a bit away. Never had any problems but it makes me feel better having somebody there watching my back. :)
I've never sold anything to anyone who didn't give me a copy of DL/CWP and sign a receipt though.

#10 ·
I can imagine making initial contact with a stranger on the internet and then meeting with him at a gun show, range, or other venue at which display of weapons is commonplace to conclude the transaction. What I'm having more trouble imagining is ever selling any of my guns.

#14 ·
I haven't but I would. I'd want to CMA.
First, I'd want them to email me a picture of their Drivers License and CCW.
Second, a public place in the day time.
Third, I'd be talking with my "Back Up Person" who is a short distance away on my cell phone as the Buyer/Seller arrived. The Buyer/Seller would be aware that they're there.
Fourth, cash only.
Fifth, a bill of sale with all information signed by all parties.
The only thing I'm missing is a Drone hovering overhead videoing the entire transaction including vehicle information. I was going to offer them a drink so that I could have fingerprints and maybe salvia for DNA but that may be a bit much.
I'M OPEN TO ANY OTHER SUGGESTION TO CMA.

#22 ·
Fifth, a bill of sale with all information signed by all parties.
The only thing I'm missing is a Drone hovering overhead videoing the entire transaction including vehicle information. I was going to offer them a drink so that I could have fingerprints and maybe salvia for DNA but that may be a bit much.
I'M OPEN TO ANY OTHER SUGGESTION TO CMA.
You forgot the C-130 Gunship for close air support :thumsup

#15 ·
I just posted in the other thread, I did this the other day and hope to keep doing it. because the best deals are private purchases if you know what your doing,
bring a friend nover ever have done this, carrying you bet. 90% of the time so is the seller no bill of sale for me or from me

man some real paraniod folks here. so next time I meet someone and he is taking on the phone and wants a bill of sale. I will walk from the deal or get a 20% reduction in asking price

#16 ·
I voted no, since I have never sold any guns this way, but I have bought and sold a number of other things to internet strangers with no issues to date.

Just bought a dishwasher from a guy today, actually - and it is happily washing our dinner dishes right now. Nice guy, easy transaction.

#17 ·
You guys actually sell guns that you have bought? Heck, I knew I must be doing something wrong....:rofl

#27 ·
With you there!:grin

I printed some photos of the LCP after shooting it once. Less than 20 rounds and a lot cheaper than it costed me. Showed to my coworkers in the morning and when they returned in the afternoon to talk to me I had already changed my mind. Never made it to the forum and it is still with me couple years later :p

There is a lot of places where you can meet for a sale, public during day time. Ranges parking lots would be my favorite.

#19 ·
I have used gunbroker and it's the way to go , the fee is about 20$ and it reaches a lot of people . Also don't give up if it doesn't sell the first time , my world record is 21 days , I was going to give up and it sold on a bid made with only 6 minutes to go .

#26 ·
Interesting: 36 votes cast, and not one person has said their experiences have caused them to swear off face-to-face meetings to complete internet sales.

I was nervous the first time I did it. Now, I'm guarded, but much more relaxed. Every time I make a buy/sale I have some sort of records documenting the meet up (texts, email, phone calls) and I always tell my wife when and where I'm going to be for the mtg. I carry my PPS, keep my SA on high, and end up encountering good people.

Except that guy in Tampa that sold me the PM9... He was a certified, tin-foil-hat kook.

#29 ·
I would just remind you that in some counties that it would be important for them to have a CWFL. Broward and other counties have instituted laws that require background checks if you are selling a gun on property that the public has access to (in keeping with the state constitution). The exception to this is if the person has a CWFL.

#31 ·
I was in the "no but wold under certain conditions" camp. The opportunity just hasn't presented itself yet. I became a C&R a while back to do more buying and selling but I'm using available funds right now for my training budget. I know, I know...if I were smarter in my C&R activities, I could probably pay for my training budget. The operative word there is "smarter!" :grin

#32 ·
I've sold to strangers. Don't care about a CWFL, don't care about an ID, don't care about a BoS, don't care much about anything. Not breaking any laws that way. Just like I'm not a cop, I'm not ATF either. They can do their job, I'll do mine. Might ask for an ID if they look 12 but I haven't run into that issue yet.

#33 ·
I have but not a firearm. Met at McDonalds parking lot 5:30PM, no problems. Firearms sales, wouldn't want to do it at home and not without a back-up or two. I guess I'm a little cautious. The McDonalds lot transaction I felt like it was a drug deal for a surfboard bag!

#34 ·
I've done several transactions at my closest McD's parking lot. Because there are always lots of people around, there is the need to be discreet, which does lend it an illicit feel.

#42 ·
I have done it four times over the last few years, with three different individuals.

We corresponded, then exchanged phone numbers, etc. and eventually settled on a public place to meet.

All three were fine upstanding citizens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.