Florida Concealed Carry banner

Can Texas resident purchase a handgun in Florida?

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mikecu 
#1 ·
I am a TX resident who spends 4-6 months a year in FL. I have TX CHL and FL CWP along with a TX DL. Can I legally purchase a handgun in FL?

#2 ·
I believe you'll need a Fla drivers license or Fla ID card [ if they issue them like Arizona ] for people who have dual residence like yourself. You can not buy a handgun in Fla with a Texas drivers license. Your Fla ccw probably will not be accepted as ID for the 4473 form.

The ID/License has to match the address you put on the 4473 form. While you are residing in Fla, you are a Fla resident. Most states will issue an ID card once you prove residence like a utility bill, phone bill in your name with a Fla addy

#4 ·
What if he purchased it from a private party? Then you don't need to fill out any forms (except a bill of sale as a CYA measure). Would that be legal? I'll try and find out from my Gutmacher book, but it got soaked so I don't know how successful that will be. :p

I was actually wondering about this the other day, good question.

#5 · (Edited)
What if he purchased it from a private party? Then you don't need to fill out any forms (except a bill of sale as a CYA measure). Would that be legal? I'll try and find out from my Gutmacher book, but it got soaked so I don't know how successful that will be. :p

I was actually wondering about this the other day, good question.
Technically, it would be illegal to do so. One of the reasons you want to make sure who you are selling your guns to privately. They should have a license or ID from the state they purchase the pistol/revolver in.

Where the person has a Fla ccw license and showed me that at the time of sale as in this case, I'd accept it as proof the state of Fla knows that person. Though the 4473 federal form won't accept a Texas ID buying a handgun in Fla, I'd be okay with a private sale in this case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.