Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen these videos about mini vaults. My vault is now useless to me.

Has anyone seen these videos about mini vaults. My vault is now useless to me.

I was really surprised when I seen a vault that I have in my house that has my bedside gun and my edc that i keep in there when im asleep or while im out. I have small children in my house and really disgruntled when I seen that they can be opened so easy.

Heres a link

http://lock-picking.wonderhowto.com/...ldren-0138523/

Distinguished Member Blanca Busa's Avatar
    I have a Gunvault as mentioned. That is a bit unnerving but I only keep one pistol there when I'm home.
    All else is locked in safe. When I'm not home that pistol is with me. To me it's a quick access that still keeps my son away from it.
    Left alone he could crack Fort Knox but when I'm home he dare not touch it.
    But this is second unit I've had as first was just replaced due to recall for defective mechanism and now this one is doing same thing.

A bit unnerving - but a security expert will tell you that safes are rated by what type of tools and how long it would take to force the safe open - NO SAFE is perfect, any lock can be opened/forced eventually.

I have the stack-on one gun just to limit access in the house - with no small children it's probably unnecessary but it would prevent an un-invited visitor (if they found it) from gaining quick access to the weapon. Could they walk off with it and open it at their leisure - sure if they brought something to cut the cable, but by then they're out of the house and no longer a threat - or I've seen them and I'm asking what the $&)%$+* they're doing - while holding my son's aluminum baseball bat.
    An armed society is a polite society - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member chuckusaret's Avatar
    I never leave a gun/weapon unattended for any reason, with kids or no kids. When at home the guns/weapons are locked in a Sentry gun safe, or on my person and when sleeping in the drawer of my night stand. I use a Secure It safe bolted to the floor under the drivers seat in my locked vehicles in the event I must visit a gun free area as stated in Florida Statute 790.06.
    US Army 1953 - 1977 ‘‘It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.’’
    — Justice Robert H. Jackson

So are there any quick access safes that are actually safe?

Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
    You have to define what you mean by "safe" first - as stated, security containers (your $80 one-gun nightstand safe and the vaults used by Bank of America) are rated by how long it will take an "expert" to break in using specified tools. ANY safe can eventually be opened.

What is "good enough" for your purposes? As I stated, I think the Stack-on I have is "good enough" for my purposes - no inadvertent loss to someone casually nosing around my home. Would it stop someone that KNEW what they were doing? No - but they really are few and far between. Think the typical smash-and-grab home robbers around here are going to DefCon or scouring the internet for hints on how to break into any safe they MAY encounter?
    An armed society is a polite society - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member bladenbullet's Avatar
    seems your vault is just as useful to you as it was previously...
    Top Dog Wannabe....

"the two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why"...mark twain

"a ship in harbor is safe. but thats not what ships are built for."
    john a shedd

keep moving...if you make em believe youre crazier than they are theyd have to be a fool to stick around and find out what youre capable of...me...

pink is the new black....

Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
    Safe against what kind of attack? For how long? With the the enough knowledge, tools, and time, nothing is truly safe.

Personally, I like simple, mechanical ones like this:

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Mine is mounted in a wall....
    Life Member National Rifle Association
    Life Member Illinois State Rifle Association
    Member Parents of Murdered Children

Project Hope

http://www.prohope.net/

The reason that we argue is not to be right, but to come closer to the truth.

Either way i sent a email to the company and they are replacing it free of charge.

Sposors