Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: feds confiscate documents from reporter at her house

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian75 View Post

According to court records and interviews by The Associated Press, Special Agent Miguel Bosch of the Coast Guard Investigative Service took the records of Audrey Hudson, a former Washington Times reporter and freelance author, during a search for guns and related items owned by her husband, a Coast Guard employee. She said Bosch asked whether she wrote a series of stories critical of the Federal Air Marshal program in the mid-2000s. Hudson said Bosch identified himself to her as a former air marshal official, and Bosch lists his previous service with that agency on his publicly accessible LinkedIn profile.

Bosch, whose signature appears on a log of evidence from the search, could not immediately be reached for comment.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/miguel-bosch/6/5b/7b2

Sounds like a possibility that Mr. Bosch might have had an axe to grind? Why is he a 'former Air Marshall Official'?
    "The government that cannot protect the public must not strip them of the right to protect themselves." - M. Ayoob, In the Gravest Extreme

Distinguished Member Riverpigusmc's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Rossum;587975]But they were NOT illegally obtained. And her hand-written notes were CERTAINLY not "illegally obtained".

"Our national security".. What exactly is that, Brownie? Ensuring that those in power remain in power? 'Cause that's sure what it seems like.

Then maybe they need some remedial education.

Oh horsefeathers![/QUOTE]

I'm partial to bull****
    "All civilians are targets or dependants" Drill Instructor Boone, Parris Island

Don't mess with old men. They'll just kill you

NRA Life Member

Wilson Combat CQB, Kimber Tactical Pro, S&W J frame

COTEP #523
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by rossum View Post
    but they were not illegally obtained. and her hand-written notes were certainly not "illegally obtained".

leo's wouldn't know that at the house now would they?
    "our national security".. What exactly is that, brownie? Ensuring that those in power remain in power? 'cause that's sure what it seems like.
    we have security issues, hence security clearances dealing with sensitive classified information, you really need to ask?

then maybe they need some remedial education.
    perhaps, but leo's are dealing with national security or sensitive govt material but rarely, maybe never in their careers. So now we're going to discuss leo's taking national security and document training?, Please

oh horsefeathers!
    ddddddddddddddddddd
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    leo's wouldn't know that at the house now would they?
    Let's take that thinking to its logical conclusion: LEO's come to someone's house with a warrant to look for some specific thing. Based on your logic, they can take any darn thing they want because they don't KNOW that it wasn't "illegally obtained".
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Rossum View Post
    Let's take that thinking to its logical conclusion: LEO's come to someone's house with a warrant to look for some specific thing. Based on your logic, they can take any darn thing they want because they don't KNOW that it wasn't "illegally obtained".
    For Official Use Only and Law Enforcement Use Only would be something to check out. Taking any darn thing they want would unlikely have For Official Use Only and Law Enforcement Use Only stamped on it. That's not a logical conclusion at all sir. The logical conclusion for ANYONE lawfully searching with a warrant seeing For Official Use Only and Law Enforcement Use Only would believe they were in possession of someone without the proper creds. THAT'S LOGICAL

Stay Sharp

Brownie

For Official Use Only and Law Enforcement Use Only would be something to check out.
    No, it wouldn't because it's not "classified".

How about we make it Glock or AR mags? During the FedGov's "Assault Weapons" ban from 1994 to 2004, there were innumerable mags made that were marked "Law Enforcement Use Only" (or something real close to that). But for the last 9 years these have perfectly legal for anyone to possess (at least in free states). Should they be taken any time LEOs encounter them because marked the same way?

You've also fastidiously ignored the taking or her personal, hand-written notes. Come on Brownie, surely you can find some way to rationalize that too?

THAT'S LOGICAL
    Juts like it's logical to assume that some guy who's traveling with "too much" cash MUST have obtained it illegally?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member deadeyedick's Avatar
    Like I said, you have no evidence to support your statements of fact, it's all just supposition based on subjective thinking and a distrust of gov. in general. As an investigator, I'd have lasted all of a day doing that instead of reporting objectively the facts in evidence. That's an indication I wasn't born yesterday. You, I'm not so sure of
    And you'd have lasted all of a day as a street cop if you only ever relied on what you could document. We weren't born yesterday either; I don't need evidence meeting any judicial standard to know government shenanigans when I see it. If you think that the government can't or won't engage in shady tactics to warn off/screw with a reporter, then perhaps you were born yesterday.

If it smells like duck ****...
    "It's Fumbles...it was always Fumbles."

Dr. Calvin "Fumbles" Killshot

Quote Originally Posted by deadeyedick View Post
    And you'd have lasted all of a day as a street cop if you only ever relied on what you could document. We weren't born yesterday either; I don't need evidence meeting any judicial standard to know government shenanigans when I see it. If you think that the government can't or won't engage in shady tactics to warn off/screw with a reporter, then perhaps you were born yesterday.

If it smells like duck ****...
    I relied on what I could document as a PI though. There better not be ANY supposition or subjective opinions in reports to attys

I'm not sure what this one smells like, no one has done anything but prognosticate opinions and conspiracy theories with no evidence to prove any malfeasance on the leo's actions.

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by Rossum View Post
    No, it wouldn't because it's not "classified".

I would not have known that as n leo. You are looking at this with the advantage of hindsight.

How about we make it Glock or AR mags? During the FedGov's "Assault Weapons" ban from 1994 to 2004, there were innumerable mags made that were marked "Law Enforcement Use Only" (or something real close to that). But for the last 9 years these have perfectly legal for anyone to possess (at least in free states). Should they be taken any time LEOs encounter them because marked the same way?

In fact, some leos in states like Ma. may just do that if the owner isn't leo as as that state still has the restrictions on mags.

You've also fastidiously ignored the taking or her personal, hand-written notes. Come on Brownie, surely you can find some way to rationalize that too?

They may answer for that yet

Juts like it's logical to assume that some guy who's traveling with "too much" cash MUST have obtained it illegally?
    The analogy doesn't work.

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Distinguished Member Riverpigusmc's Avatar
    I relied on what I could document as a PI though. There better not be ANY supposition or subjective opinions in reports to attys

I'm not sure what this one smells like, no one has done anything but prognosticate opinions and conspiracy theories with no evidence to prove any malfeasance on the leo's actions.
    The d***head asked her if she was the reporter who wrote critical stories about his agency, and when she stated yes, he took documents that were not included in the warrant, in addition to her personal handwritten notes which he had NO authority to do. If that ain't malfeasance, I'm a damned Democrat. Good Lord, I ain't even sure Mac could defend this...maybe...
    "All civilians are targets or dependants" Drill Instructor Boone, Parris Island

Don't mess with old men. They'll just kill you

NRA Life Member

Wilson Combat CQB, Kimber Tactical Pro, S&W J frame

COTEP #523
    Founding Member

Sposors