Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Obamacare Subsidies: How Much Will You Get?

Presently, bc/bs charges me 278.00 a month premium, I'm on the hook for the first 5K. That's $8336.00 out of pocket per year I'm on the hook for and I've had to pay that each year for the last several due to my advanced age.

Come Jan, I'll pay 57.00 a month and with the extra subsidy, not make co-pays so the cost will drop from 8336.00 to 600.00 a year. I think it will be more as I'll take the best plan they offer for more premium owed. Even if it costs me 1K a year for 90% coverage, I'm going to be saving substantially over the present policy.

Who would have believed getting old"er" would ever be an advantage where healthcare was concerned.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Yeah, but at the expense of what - this money is coming from somewhere, and the Gov't is broker and getting "broke-er" by the second.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Presently, bc/bs charges me 278.00 a month premium, I'm on the hook for the first 5K. That's $8336.00 out of pocket per year I'm on the hook for and I've had to pay that each year for the last several due to my advanced age.

Come Jan, I'll pay 57.00 a month and with the extra subsidy, not make co-pays so the cost will drop from 8336.00 to 600.00 a year. I think it will be more as I'll take the best plan they offer for more premium owed. Even if it costs me 1K a year for 90% coverage, I'm going to be saving substantially over the present policy.

Who would have believed getting old"er" would ever be an advantage where healthcare was concerned.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."
    John Adams From: http://www.liberty1.org/virtue.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MrScott View Post
    Yeah, but at the expense of what - this money is coming from somewhere, and the Gov't is broker and getting "broke-er" by the second.
    The way it's set up, the young and healthy's premiums pay for the subsidies for us older gents. If the younger people take the insurance in the numbers expected, the system is not costing the taxpayer that much in taxes. Whether it works or not, we'll have to wait to see.

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Nobody lives based on their principles or beliefs anymore. If a handout is there and they qualify, they take it. Who cares what the TRUE costs are to our country. Ever since the Rosovelt era and his New Deal policies, everyone lines up to take the government handouts no matter what. The thought is that, it's there why should I not take it. Well until I am about to live in a cardboard box or my family is about to go without food, I don't take handouts from anyone. Not even family.

My wife lost her job about 4 years ago. We lost half our family income because of it. I didn't know what we were going to do. She was pregnant with our second child and I was real worried that we were'nt going to be able to pay the bills. We qualified for assistance from both state and federal government handouts. But I was not about to take them. I would find a way. Well we did. My wife is now a stay at home mom and we are better off than before she lost her job.

I don't take handouts because they are there for the taking. It goes against my beliefs and principles. But this country has turned into a bunch or pansies that want the government to hand them everything. If people would put half the initiative that they put into applying for handouts and put it into some hard work, this country would be a lot better off.

Living off the backs of another is not living in my book. Doesn't matter if it's the way it's been for a while or not. It's wrong. Taking from the young to pay for the old is wrong. You should have lived your life on a tighter budget and saved for the possibility of getting sick as you get older. Guess what, it happens. Everyone knows that as you get older, you get more sick. So why didn't you plan. Why are you wanting to suck the money form the younger generation to pay for your lack of planning and saving.

We try to be too nice in society these days. Just because you failed to plan, does not mean that I should pay for it.

It's destined for failure. It's pricing people like me out of the market. The Gov't couldn't run SS/Medicare/Medicaid without massive deficits, how the hell are they going to run an entire healthcare system? I respect your opinion up here, but on the subject of Gov't anything, I think you place far too much confidence in it. With no insult intended whatsoever, this seems common for the boomer generation - they are nowhere near as skeptical of our "leaders" as they need to be. I'm on the very early end of GenX and identify more with the Boomers than the GenX myself, but nonetheless, it pains me to see the trust Boomers in general seem to put in traditional news sources and our government.

The way it's set up, the young and healthy's premiums pay for the subsidies for us older gents. If the younger people take the insurance in the numbers expected, the system is not costing the taxpayer that much in taxes. Whether it works or not, we'll have to wait to see.
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Quote Originally Posted by Telum Pisces View Post
    Nobody lives based on their principles or beliefs anymore. If a handout is there and they qualify, they take it. Who cares what the TRUE costs are to our country. Ever since the Rosovelt era and his New Deal policies, everyone lines up to take the government handouts no matter what. The thought is that, it's there why should I not take it. Well until I am about to live in a cardboard box or my family is about to go without food, I don't take handouts from anyone. Not even family.

My wife lost her job about 4 years ago. We lost half our family income because of it. I didn't know what we were going to do. She was pregnant with our second child and I was real worried that we were'nt going to be able to pay the bills. We qualified for assistance from both state and federal government handouts. But I was not about to take them. I would find a way. Well we did. My wife is now a stay at home mom and we are better off than before she lost her job.

I don't take handouts because they are there for the taking. It goes against my beliefs and principles. But this country has turned into a bunch or pansies that want the government to hand them everything. If people would put half the initiative that they put into applying for handouts and put it into some hard work, this country would be a lot better off.

Living off the backs of another is not living in my book. Doesn't matter if it's the way it's been for a while or not. It's wrong. Taking from the young to pay for the old is wrong. You should have lived your life on a tighter budget and saved for the possibility of getting sick as you get older. Guess what, it happens. Everyone knows that as you get older, you get more sick. So why didn't you plan. Why are you wanting to suck the money form the younger generation to pay for your lack of planning and saving.

We try to be too nice in society these days. Just because you failed to plan, does not mean that I should pay for it.
    Well, lets see here. My grandparents and yours relied on MY taxes to get by in their retirement years. Having owned a business that paid in excess of 50K in taxes every year for over 20 years, shelled out over 12K per employee on a match for their taxes x's 17 employees for those years as well as personal taxes that helped all the illegals collect welfare and food stamps, I say I paid plenty enough into the "system" [ somewhere over a million dollars in taxes that afforded your parents/grandparents their monthly checks they live/d on ] I believe at my age, I've earned the right to collect off the younger generation at this time.

I own a private policy and have paid in excess of 40K in the last 5 years for my own health insurance policy. Now, with the gov mandating coverage and the "law" stating I can get subsidies to defray the cost [ so my money I have saved lasts longer and thus I don't need to collect anything offered on the govt nipples besides this mandated insurance ] you expect me to continue to pay out of pocket for how much longer? Until I die?

Don't hold your breath on that, you'll only turn blue. I've paid more in taxes than most will make in a lifetime in gross wages. Your drum beating isn't about to change my mind that I deserve the rest and relaxation on someone else's back after 40+ years of supporting others.

I could have quite easily collected a govt check from the VA for disability due to service. I wouldn't take it, I didn't need it and others deserved it more than I did IMO.
    Last edited by brownie; 08-22-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by MrScott View Post
    It's destined for failure. It's pricing people like me out of the market. The Gov't couldn't run SS/Medicare/Medicaid without massive deficits, how the hell are they going to run an entire healthcare system? I respect your opinion up here, but on the subject of Gov't anything, I think you place far too much confidence in it. With no insult intended whatsoever, this seems common for the boomer generation - they are nowhere near as skeptical of our "leaders" as they need to be. I'm on the very early end of GenX and identify more with the Boomers than the GenX myself, but nonetheless, it pains me to see the trust Boomers in general seem to put in traditional news sources and our government.
    I think you may be right on the destiny of the program. No I don't trust uncle, having worked within and in conjunction with uncle agencies as well as having seen far too much bs in my lifetime from pols on either side. But I'll take advantage of the subsidies as long as they last, if they last and save what I've got squirreled away for a longer time period.

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Distinguished Member
    As far as I can tell, because the cost of insuring just myself through my employer is subsidized by my employer (but insuring my family [spouse] is not), I won't qualify for jack **** and my premiums will be just over 20% of my gross income. Closer to 35% of my income after taxes, dental, and vision coverage. YAY!
    -Ryan

Distinguished Member Endangered Species's Avatar
    You're describing the current system (or any insurance system) where young and healthy people make payments for insurance they'll likely never really use, so less healthy customers don't bankrupt the company.

The 0-care subsidy is "paid" via a tax break or a government check. Taxpayers pay the subsidy. From the Yahoo article:

When signing up for Obamacare, enrollees can apply for an advanced subsidy by estimating their income. Payments go directly to the insurer. Their subsidy level is then adjusted once they file a tax return with their actual income for the year, so in many cases they may have to repay some of the subsidy if they underestimated or get a refund if they thought they'd earn more than they actually did.
    Enrollees can also opt to pay the entire premium up front and get a refund at tax time.
    "In routine encounters with law enforcement, a citizen should not have to weigh the likelihood that the officer will decide to shoot him dead. That's about as basic a standard for civilized society as one can muster."

- Mark Steyn

Insurance is supposed to be about spread risk, I don't mind younger subsidizing older or anything like that. Insurance fails when they start isolating risks down for profit. Suddenly you have all the real sickies in a single group, and there ain't no premium anyone can afford for that. Parallels the windstorm situation - "I ain't gonna pay so you can live by the beach and get blown away", followed by "well, I ain't gonna pay for you to live in a flood zone", followed by "well, I ain't gonna pay for you to live in tornado alley", and on and on and on. Suddenly nobody can afford insurance because everyone got selfish and self-righteous and lost sight of the big picture.

Sposors