Florida Concealed Carry banner

Ankle Carry Full size guns

4K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  brownie 
#1 ·
This may be a dumb question but does anyone ankle carry a full size gun like a Glock 22?

#5 ·
A couple years ago at the Golf Championships in Doral Tiger Woods' "security" had a monster on his ankle. Dude walked all 18 . . . no idea what kind of holster.

Good luck.

#6 ·
For me, ankle carry is strictly for a second gun; it's easy to reach while seated (in a vehicle, for instance), and may be more accessible than a hip holstered sidearm if you wind up lying on your back. Otherwise, not so easy to access. I see the ankle holstered weapon as being used up close and personal, or as a backup should some problem arise with the primary weapon. Problems with concealment (apparently, a previous poster had no problem seeing Tiger Woods' bodyguard's weapon) and comfort (I wouldn't want to walk around all day with 2-3 pounds strapped to one foot) lead me to use a small, lightweight weapon when I choose to ankle carry.

#7 ·
The closest that I can ankle carry is an XD-45 compact with the 10 round magazine. I carry one of those regularly on my ankle. I carried a S&W 6906, on ankle, on a regular basis as both a BUG and an off-duty weapon for years. The height of the weapon is what controls whether it can be carried on the ankle or not and, since bell bottoms are no longer in style, anything over 5" in height is going to be very difficult to conceal and access on the ankle.

#8 ·
IIRC, years ago there was an accessory for Bianchi's UM84 military flap holster that would allow it to be worn on the calf outside the pant leg. Presumably this was geared towards use by military pilots, but I don't think it ever caught on. That's the closest thing to ankle carrying a full size pistol that I can think of.

#9 ·
Hey Jaxrolo,
I carry a g26 in a ankle holster with a 10rd mag or 15 mag, I wear kakis/dress shoes and it works well, the length of the barrel doesn't bother me as much as the height (grip) anything taller would print even worse, I have a few jeans that work but I wear boots with them and cant carry on the ankle with boots cause that requires me to raise the gun up then having to pull the pants leg even higher to get to the gun.
I use a Galco "heavy" leather holster without the calf support, as long as I don't do any running it works fine, as for concealment no one ever looks at your feet for a weapon. I think its a great BUG placement, but the waist is better for EDC. My ankle carry is about 4:00 it keeps the barrel from rubbing my ankle bone and the back of the grip follows the calf muscle, also I'm right handed and carry on the inner left leg. also if you cross your legs when sitting you need to keep that leg down, your pants will ride up and show your holster and you will mussel everyone in the room.

Godspeed
MrC.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the answers.

There are certain circumstances where I can not carry IWB/OWB that I can't mention. But If I had it on my ankle it would not be a problem.

I will probably buy a smaller gun for those circumstances.

#17 · (Edited)
Or learn how to feel confident and prepared with out a gun. This is probably the best. You can travel anywhere and as along as you practice situational awareness and are prepared and trained to hold your own against two opponents (three is pushing it), then nothing to be concerned about :thumsup

In the right hands at bad breath distance a small wooden dowel can be more lethal than most mouse guns can...

#13 ·
FWIW, I routinely carry a G26 in a Fobus with no issues at all. That said, I would not want to carry anything larger by that method.

#15 ·
Here is a question (Don't mean to hijack the thread)

How many guns do you carry? Or need to carry? Do you really need 2 or 3 or is 1 enough?

I don't carry a "backup" I figure my Kimber .45 with 3 extra mags is all I'll need for personal carry.

For home defense my AR 15 and FN SCAR 17 should be all I need (LOL?)

#18 ·
Pardon me, but I have to laugh, at least a little, at somebody who carries 3 spare magazines and questions why anyone would need a BUG. :rofl

What if your gun is hit by your opponent's fire and is disabled? Your spare mags won't do you any good then...but a spare gun might. :grin

There are any number of scenarios where having a backup gun would be invaluable...and they're probably all just as unlikely as the scenarios where a civilian would need 3 reloads.

#16 ·
Anything mechanical can break, and Mr. Murphy will determine when & where that happens. While that's one reason for carrying multiples, I actually prefer the term "alternative" handgun as opposed to "backup" handgun. When I carry a second (more & more frequently, nowadays), it may offer capabilities & access that my primary does not.

For instance, I usually pocket carry a fairly stout & potent snubbie, as it allows better concealibility in my daily clothing style and environment than any belt carry. Pocket carry is OK while I'm on my feet, and allows me to place my hand on my weapon surreptitiously should I deem it appropriate. Sucks while seated, though, as access is darned near impossible. A small handgun in an ankle holster, though, is very accessible while seated. It can also be palmed and carried in hand unobtrusively while walking through a parking lot or garage, offering the fastest possible response to an assault. Its limited accurate range (due to small grip area, less than ideal trigger, nonexistent sights, etc.) is of little consequence under these conditions, and I have a much more accurate revolver in my pocket, if the li'l gun can buy me time to get it.

It boils down to figuring out individual needs and preferences. Will I ever need two handguns? I doubt it. I doubt I'll need one, but I plan to carry, 'cause I can't be sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.