Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Carry Full size guns

Ankle Carry Full size guns

This may be a dumb question but does anyone ankle carry a full size gun like a Glock 22?
    Rolo

Glock 27
    NRA Member
    Retired Electronics Technician Chief Petty Officer USN 26 years

High School Baseball Umpire
    River City Umpires

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxrolo View Post
    This may be a dumb question but does anyone ankle carry a full size gun like a Glock 22?
    I tried ankle carrying a g19 and it was a no go using the very best ankle holster imo, bianchi ranger triad ankle holster. It was too heavy and bulky.
    It's not a Bill of Wants or a Bill of Needs, it's a BILL OF RIGHTS!

ankle carried a Charter Undercover years ago (back in the 70's with bellbottom pants), tried to ankle carry my Glock 27 and couldn't get my pants leg over the darn thing. Can't imagine carrying my G22 that way.
    Rick Miller
    Jax, FL

Distinguished Member Blanca Busa's Avatar
    Why?

If you can ankle carry it that means you're wearing pants so why not just in a regular owb holster?

A couple years ago at the Golf Championships in Doral Tiger Woods' "security" had a monster on his ankle. Dude walked all 18 . . . no idea what kind of holster.

Good luck.
    I know many of you are programmed to make assumptions but there is only one thing worse than knowing something; assuming it. Instead try asking a question and communicating effectively.

Kahr PM40
    H&K P30 LEM .40
    FN Five-Seven
    Sig 516 Flat Dark Earth
    Ruger Mini 30

For me, ankle carry is strictly for a second gun; it's easy to reach while seated (in a vehicle, for instance), and may be more accessible than a hip holstered sidearm if you wind up lying on your back. Otherwise, not so easy to access. I see the ankle holstered weapon as being used up close and personal, or as a backup should some problem arise with the primary weapon. Problems with concealment (apparently, a previous poster had no problem seeing Tiger Woods' bodyguard's weapon) and comfort (I wouldn't want to walk around all day with 2-3 pounds strapped to one foot) lead me to use a small, lightweight weapon when I choose to ankle carry.

Distinguished Member
    The closest that I can ankle carry is an XD-45 compact with the 10 round magazine. I carry one of those regularly on my ankle. I carried a S&W 6906, on ankle, on a regular basis as both a BUG and an off-duty weapon for years. The height of the weapon is what controls whether it can be carried on the ankle or not and, since bell bottoms are no longer in style, anything over 5" in height is going to be very difficult to conceal and access on the ankle.

Distinguished Member deadeyedick's Avatar
    IIRC, years ago there was an accessory for Bianchi's UM84 military flap holster that would allow it to be worn on the calf outside the pant leg. Presumably this was geared towards use by military pilots, but I don't think it ever caught on. That's the closest thing to ankle carrying a full size pistol that I can think of.
    "It's Fumbles...it was always Fumbles."

Dr. Calvin "Fumbles" Killshot

Hey Jaxrolo,
    I carry a g26 in a ankle holster with a 10rd mag or 15 mag, I wear kakis/dress shoes and it works well, the length of the barrel doesn't bother me as much as the height (grip) anything taller would print even worse, I have a few jeans that work but I wear boots with them and cant carry on the ankle with boots cause that requires me to raise the gun up then having to pull the pants leg even higher to get to the gun.
    I use a Galco "heavy" leather holster without the calf support, as long as I don't do any running it works fine, as for concealment no one ever looks at your feet for a weapon. I think its a great BUG placement, but the waist is better for EDC. My ankle carry is about 4:00 it keeps the barrel from rubbing my ankle bone and the back of the grip follows the calf muscle, also I'm right handed and carry on the inner left leg. also if you cross your legs when sitting you need to keep that leg down, your pants will ride up and show your holster and you will mussel everyone in the room.

Godspeed
    MrC.

Thanks for all the answers.

There are certain circumstances where I can not carry IWB/OWB that I can't mention. But If I had it on my ankle it would not be a problem.

I will probably buy a smaller gun for those circumstances.
    Rolo

Glock 27
    NRA Member
    Retired Electronics Technician Chief Petty Officer USN 26 years

High School Baseball Umpire
    River City Umpires

Sposors