Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken Windshield, are my insurance rates going to go up?

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar

Broken Windshield, are my insurance rates going to go up?

I've managed to make it through life without a broken windshield...until now.

I made my annual trip to Ohio to visit relatives. Yes, I carried the entire way. Yes, I took advantage of Ohio's revised "restaurants that serve alcohol" law.

A truck threw a rock and broke my windshield. I assume that it is covered by my full coverage insurance policy but if I file a claim is my premium going to increase?

If I decide to not file a claim, how much does a new windshield cost?
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

My insurance has not been raised in the last two replaced [ 5 years ago ], not sure if they will today or not.

Call and ask them, then decide.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    My insurance has not been raised in the last two replaced [ 5 years ago ], not sure if they will today or not.

Call and ask them, then decide.
    Brownie,

I got back late last night, I'm going to call Monday but I wanted to gather info from the members here before I call and say something stupid. Luckily, I have had very few situations in my life that I had to deal with my insurance company. Just fishing for experience here.

TII
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Xbonz View Post
    Rates will not go up, and if I remember correctly, the glass should be repaired or replaced with no deductible applied.
    I think you are correct ...

Zero Deductible States—FL, KY, MA, SC

If you live in Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, or South Carolina, you live in what's called a "Zero Deductible State." That means that your insurance company is required by law to allow you to purchase a windshield replacement using insurance with no deductible—as long as you have comprehensive insurance on your vehicle. If you live in one of these states, and have comprehensive insurance, it makes sense to use your insurance to pay for your auto glass replacement. Florida and Massachusetts only fully cover windshields, but Kentucky and South Carolina cover all glass replacement.

http://www.glass.net/auto-glass-info...placement.html
    I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution
    of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic ...

" If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to.
    This is the last stand on earth. "
    - Ronald Reagan, October 27, 1964

NRA Life Member - If not, you should be too!!
    COTEP Member Number: 751

Az also covers glass with no increase or deductible. When I called the agent, she said just get it fixed with a company that takes insurance information and bills the ins. carrier.

It was pretty simple, they came to the house and replaced it, signed a piece of paper and he was on his way.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

It will be free and not affect your rates. They will repair it instead of replace it if they can. Just depends on how bad it is.
    Carrying a gun is not always comfortable, but it is always comforting!

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadBiker View Post
    It will be free and not affect your rates. They will repair it instead of replace it if they can. Just depends on how bad it is.
    I'm done a little research. Seems that if the area is larger than a "dollar bill" it can't be fixed. Mine started as a little round chip and within a few minutes had become a crack and stretched about 10 inches before it got to the edge and stopped. It happened at night at about 70 MPH on the interstate. Sounded like a 22lr.

I have tried really hard all my life to not follow dump trucks and other high risk activities, but such is life. This was an empty flat-bed 18 wheeler.

A clear windshield is a vehicle requirement and all auto insurance has to cover full replacement. Rates normally do not go up for this. Glass replacement is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for this. Just call any local auto glass repair place.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by WeaselFire View Post
    A clear windshield is a vehicle requirement and all auto insurance has to cover full replacement. Rates normally do not go up for this. Glass replacement is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for this. Just call any local auto glass repair place.

Jeff
    I had a driver's side window broken by a BG. Happened on a Friday evening in JAX at the community college. Called my insurance, called a bunch of glass places to try and get an immediate repair. The glass place might provide 24/7 service but the warehouses that stock the glass do not. If the glass place does not have your window in stock you are out of luck. Drove home to central Florida without a window on a cold February day. Could not get a replacement until Monday.

FWIW, the gun was just one thing they stole. It was recovered in MIA in a drug bust. Would never leave a gun in the car, but you don't have much choice when you are out of town and in a GFZ.

Distinguished Member bladenbullet's Avatar
    side windows generally arent as available as windshields...the sheer number of them (4 to 1 for every windshield) makes them difficult to stock locally and they are less likely to be broken than windshields...a side window can be temporarily replaced with tape and plastic also...not really an option with windshields...

comprehensive insurance generally doesnt raise premiums as it is coverage for items we generally have no control over...frequency can create a problem as you become a high risk...but infrequent claims will not affect your insurance...
    Top Dog Wannabe....

"the two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why"...mark twain

"a ship in harbor is safe. but thats not what ships are built for."
    john a shedd

keep moving...if you make em believe youre crazier than they are theyd have to be a fool to stick around and find out what youre capable of...me...

pink is the new black....

Sposors