Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to FLA. Permit question.

Moving to FLA. Permit question.

Hi guys. Was hoping someone here could help me out. I currently live in connecticut and have a connecticut permit. I'm going to be moving down to Florida next year after my lease expires.

If I read correctly florida does not honor connecticuts permit and also if I was to apply for a non resident permit in a state florida honors it wouldn't work either because you have to be a resident of the permit state to have it honored.

1. Is there any way around this? What are the wait times down there for a permit? I'm going to feel naked not being able to carry for a while.

2. What does this mean for transport and ownership? What do I need to do to be allowed to drive down from ct with my safe and guns to get them down there for when I actually get a Florida permit?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Getting your permit once you establish residency in Florida is relatively easy. You take a class and apply, I had mine 10 days after the class. As for transporting them once you get to Florida, well you’re not in New England anymore. Until you get your permit keep them secured while transporting them.

Welcome to Florida.

Hi and welcome aboard,

You do not need a permit to possess a firearm in Florida you only need it to carry concealed. You may possess, and may have a gun in your vehicle, glovebox, console ect with no permit.

There is in the United States code (18 U.S.C. 926A ) something that is know as the safe passage act http://www.cjrpc.com/interstate_2.htm It basicly states that you may transport it from anyplace you can legally possess it to any other place that you may legally possess it as long as the trip is continuous. What I did was pack them up and drove them down with me when I moved. We drove straight thru except for fuel and food. I stayed around the speed limit as to not get pulled over. YMMV I am not a lawyer.

Wait time right now is at or a little over the 90 day mark. Sorry I cannot help on the non resident process as I know nothing about it.

If you are prior military you do not need the course mentioned just your DD214. I just got my CCW in the mail last week. It took 6 weeks from mail in date.

Distinguished Member safetyguy60's Avatar
    LockednLoaded,

If you served active military, no class required. Even quicker.

Without a Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License you can carry in your car or keep it in your home.

In Florida the department of Agriculture issues the licenses.

Read all about it:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

See you in the Sunshine State real soon, welcome
    Speak softly but carry a big stick!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LockednLoaded View Post
    Hi guys. Was hoping someone here could help me out. I currently live in connecticut and have a connecticut permit. I'm going to be moving down to Florida next year after my lease expires.

If I read correctly florida does not honor connecticuts permit and also if I was to apply for a non resident permit in a state florida honors it wouldn't work either because you have to be a resident of the permit state to have it honored.

1. Is there any way around this? What are the wait times down there for a permit? I'm going to feel naked not being able to carry for a while.

2. What does this mean for transport and ownership? What do I need to do to be allowed to drive down from ct with my safe and guns to get them down there for when I actually get a Florida permit?

Apply now for your Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License.
    You can get the forms mailed to you --> http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FOR...equest790.html
    Make sure to get the fingerprint card too. Get prints at a local law enforcement agency in CT. Mail everything in, you'll get you license in about 90 days.
    Once you get to Florida just go online and submit a change of address within 30 days --> https://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/li...hgaddr790.html

There are only a few states that require you to be a resident of the state your license is from, but that should not matter since you already have a CT. license.

Transport you guns in accordance with Federal law, also follow the laws of any states you plan to stop/stay in while traveling.

Here is a good site to check the laws of any states you are interedted in --> www.handgunlaw.us

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar

In Florida we call it a license. You can get a Florida Conceal Weapon and Firearm license NOW as a non-resident. Florida honors it own license even if you are not a resident. Your address is not even on the license. When you move just change your address online. One less thing you need to worry about during the busy move.

Read Florida Statute 790.06 to find the list of the different training documents that are accepted. If you are not prior military then take a NRA course and you will be good to go.
    http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...s/0790.06.html

Everything you need to apply is available for download or by mail from the Department of Agriculture.
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

Yep, go ahead and apply for a FL permit. I moved out of and back to FL within 5 years. My license simply became an out of state permit when I lived out of state and became an in state permit again when I changed my address back to FL when I moved back. Same piece of plastic stayed in my wallet the whole time.

So let me get this right. While living in connecticut I can obtain my florida license? What about the class. Is it a NRA basic safety class? Can I just use the certificate I already have?

So let me get this right. While living in connecticut I can obtain my florida license? What about the class. Is it a NRA basic safety class? Can I just use the certificate I already have?
    If it meets the following guidlines, then yes. Here is the FL statute. IF you meet any of these, you simply submit proof of that education/training etc... with your application.

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
    1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
    2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
    6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
    7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

When you move here, you will techncally not be able to carry on your connecticut license since connecticut does not have reciprocity with FL. But you can carry on the FL license if you have it before you get here.
    Last edited by Telum Pisces; 03-21-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Sposors