Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Class "K" Instructors License

Class "K" Instructors License

Number 1, my phone has been ringing off the hook for the last month for CWFL training, which is good. About 6 months ago I received and inquiry from a man wanting to renew his Florida Class "G" armed security guard license, but he only had about 3 or 4 days to renew, so I told him that their wasn't much that I could do for him on such short notice. Fast forward to this week, and I have received two requests for Florida Class "G" instruction, which can only be handled by someone with a Florida Class "K" instructor's license. I've tried researching the requirements via google, Florida DOACS and FDLE, and find nothing but confusing and conflicting answers.

Can someone steer me in the right direction pertaining to the requirements to obtain a Florida Class "K" Instructor's license? Also, I told the last guy that called a few minutes ago that I would see what I could find out about other Class "K" instructors in our area. Is there a published list of such instructors?

Cheers y'all,
    Ken
    Panhandle Defense Institute
    www.PDI-2A.com
    INSTRUO * PUGNA * SUPERSTES

"Armed, people fly their colors. Disarmed, victims wear them."

Distinguished Member NotXskinnyXBarbie's Avatar
    Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/onestop/forms/16020.pdf

In order to qualify for the Class “K” license, you must submit a copy of one of the following certificates with your
    application:
    1. The Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission Firearms Instructor's Certificate.
    2. The National Rifle Association Police Firearms Instructor's Certificate.
    3. The National Rifle Association Security Firearms Instructor's Certificate.
    4. A Firearms Instructor's Certificate from a federal agency.
    Note: Only a copy of one of the aforementioned certificates will satisfy the training requirement. Documentation
    reflecting that you have taken the training required to obtain one of the certificates listed above is not acceptable.
    • You must also successfully complete the Firearms Instructor's examination administered by the Division of Licensing.
    I'm typing mostly from a cell phone, errors are common, but keep in mind 90% of my grammar errors and 100% of my stupid ideas are my sole responsibility. I ALWAYS use sarcasm...

-"You drown not by falling into a river, but by staying submerged in it."

- "The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions."

Here you can get the list by county or the state.
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/access/individual.html
    I'm typing mostly from a cell phone, errors are common, but keep in mind 90% of my grammar errors and 100% of my stupid ideas are my sole responsibility. I ALWAYS use sarcasm...

- "The two worst strategic mistakes to make are acting prematurely and letting an opportunity slip; to avoid this, the warrior treats each situation as if it were unique and never resorts to formulae, recipes or other people's opinions."

Wow. DOACS is one screwed up website.

Ken, you should be able to get what you need with a phone call to the Division of Licensing. You're FBI instructor cert is all you should need to apply for K license. Below is a link to the K license application. If all else fails, I can put you in touch with someone who knows all about the program.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/onestop/forms/16020.pdf
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rvrctyrngr View Post
    Wow. DOACS is one screwed up website.
    Why you say that? Not a current list?

eta: just checked someone I know gives instruction for "G" and his contact info is restricted, so I guess the public data is optional.

Hodawg,

I'm a K licensed instructor.

To obtain the K license, you have to be a NRA Law Enforcement Certified Instructor or a FDLE CJST certified instructor. Once you have those, you can apply to the Division of Licensing for the K.

To become a NRA Law Enforcement Certified Instructor, you have to attend either the Pistol Instructor Development Course or the the Pistol/Shotgun one. They are offered regularly across the US. The eligibility requirements for the NRA Law Enforcement courses is pretty stringent.

Here's a link the NRA LEAD website - http://le.nra.org/training/instructo...t-schools.aspx

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my cell number and will answer any more detailed questions you may have.
    "Do not depend on the enemy not attacking; depend rather on being ready for him." Sun-Tzu

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. Violence is any day preferable to impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." Ghandi

www.aviganis.com
    www.facebook.com/aviganis

The Division of Licensing website is www.mylicensesite.com
    "Do not depend on the enemy not attacking; depend rather on being ready for him." Sun-Tzu

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. Violence is any day preferable to impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." Ghandi

www.aviganis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aviganis View Post
    Hodawg,

I'm a K licensed instructor.

To obtain the K license, you have to be a NRA Law Enforcement Certified Instructor or a FDLE CJST certified instructor. Once you have those, you can apply to the Division of Licensing for the K.

To become a NRA Law Enforcement Certified Instructor, you have to attend either the Pistol Instructor Development Course or the the Pistol/Shotgun one. They are offered regularly across the US. The eligibility requirements for the NRA Law Enforcement courses is pretty stringent.

Here's a link the NRA LEAD website - http://le.nra.org/training/instructo...t-schools.aspx

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you my cell number and will answer any more detailed questions you may have.
    Aviganis, Ken holds a firearms instructor cert from the FBI. That suffices the cerification reqs to apply for the K license, as would a military firearms instructor cert.
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rvrctyrngr View Post
    Aviganis, Ken holds a firearms instructor cert from the FBI. That suffices the cerification reqs to apply for the K license, as would a military firearms instructor cert.
    The DOL instituted some changes to the requirements last year. I've heard of several former K instructors that had to go to the NRA LEO Course to renew because of the new continuing education requirements for K licensees.

Already spoke with Hodawg on the phone earlier.

www.aviganis.com

Distinguished Member milkmanjoe's Avatar
    "K"------->"G"----->"Certified LEO Instructor"------->"FBI Instructor"-------->"NRA Certified Law Enforcement instructor"------>FDLE CJST Certified instructor........

Chrissakes, can't I just shoot the sonofa*****? I'm building a wraparound porch on my SC house, screening it in, and I'm gonna sit on it with a side by side 12 gauge and three fingers o' Jack and watch the birds and squirrels.
    Memorial Day is every day for me

I don't sleep, I wait

As a younger man I subscribed to quick witted philosophical wording, yet as I age I realize I knew nothing about that wording, wisdom truly comes from variations in one's life over periods of time, not from mirroring someone else's thoughts or words..

Sposors