Thread: Do ex-military have to take the CWFL course?

Distinguished Member High Seas Drifter's Avatar

Do ex-military have to take the CWFL course?

My dad is looking to get his carry license. He used to be min the Army. Does he have to take the course or does his DD214 work in that capacity? I told him he has to take one of Terry's classes before he can carry. He has misconceptions about carrying with one in the chamber and other basic newbie stuff. Basically, I want to make sure he is mentally where he needs to be before he starts toting a firearm around. I also have to help him pick a gun to carry. This will be an interesting undertaking.
    • "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -The Dalai Lama

copy of DD-214 is sufficient..... aka discharge papers
    "beta tester should be your screen name" ~Wizzy

ALL HOLSTERS QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

HSD, if he is at the Nov freestyle, he more than welcome to try my set up. Just bring some 9mm for him and I dont care if we trade off at the line all day.
    Last edited by Sully; 10-30-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Cool, that's good to know.

Sully- Thanks! I think we are actually trying to make that one. I just messaged Terry about it. The only things I have for him to shoot right now are my G26 and LCP so that would be great. I'd like to get him to try a few different things so he can see what he likes.
    • "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -The Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by High Seas Drifter View Post
    Cool, that's good to know.

Sully- Thanks! I think we are actually trying to make that one. I just messaged Terry about it. The only things I have for him to shoot right now are my G26 and LCP so that would be great. I'd like to get him to try a few different things so he can see what he likes.
    Usually enough handguns to go around for people to try out...he can use my M&P 9mm also..just provide the ammo for him..
    There is no second place winner in a lethal force encounter--only first and first loser.
    When the stake is one's life, losing is not an option!
    T.H.E. Firearms Training
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Blog

Distinguished Member ZO6Vettever's Avatar
    I used my DD214. I thought it was kinda dumb in a way because having qualified with an M-14, M-60 and an M-9. I know I was throughly trained on firearms safety however never once did I fire a pistol in the Army. Anyway I have had a concealed carry permit since the mid 70's and haven't shot myself or anybody for that matter. Guess Uncle Sam taught me good!
    Sent from my rotary phone.

Remember, we're all on the same side!
    Assault a senior will get you a minimum of 3 years, pursuant to Florida statutes, should you survive.
    US Army Vet Dec.1965 - Dec.1971

Distinguished Member
    Assuming Carol and I make it to that one; we'll have my G-26, her M&P-9c, her Berretta Px-4 Storm in .40 S&W (along with a new Panther Concealment OWB Jim & Scott will be delivering), and I usually have the G.I. .45 ACP and LCR .38 Spl. He's welcome to try any, or all, of those.

Don't worry about ammo for all those possibilities. We'll have enough he can put a few magazines through whatever he wants to try.

I'm sure there will be a plethora of breeds and sizes available for him to try.
    "The government that cannot protect the public must not strip them of the right to protect themselves." - M. Ayoob, In the Gravest Extreme

Good stuff. I will make sure my dad is concrete on the 17th. He needs to get over here to see my new place and visit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
    I used my DD214. I thought it was kinda dumb in a way because having qualified with an M-14, M-60 and an M-9. I know I was throughly trained on firearms safety however never once did I fire a pistol in the Army. Anyway I have had a concealed carry permit since the mid 70's and haven't shot myself or anybody for that matter. Guess Uncle Sam taught me good!

My understanding that the course is mostly safety anyway. Training with Terry (and who ever else chimes in during the day) will put you further ahead of the game than any of the gun show classes

Sposors