Thread: Holsters on a stainless steel gun?

Holsters on a stainless steel gun?

I have the CZ 75B High Polished Stainless Steel full size (no compact or subcompact) I was wondering first of all is the standard size to big to even holster it?

Also, would the leather or they other type (can't think of the name) holster scratch/tarnish the stainless steel? Any recommendations? Thanks.

The stainless steel will suffer fine scratches from holster use. High polished stainless will not show these as much, but they'll develop nonetheless over time.

Stainless can be repolished fairly easily with various materials also. Many use a scotchbrite pad on the brushed stainless, but a buffing wheel on a dremel would work for the high polished stainless [ just be careful and go slow ].

If you want to carry the gun, the fine scratches are considered "character" and people know you actually carry the gun and it's not just for Bar-B-Q's and show.

I could care less what my carry guns look like, it's a user gun and a tool. The collector grade guns aren't bought for carry so they stay in pristine condition. You have to decide if that gun is a carry gun or just an occasional range/Bar-B-Q firearm.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    The stainless steel will suffer fine scratches from holster use. High polished stainless will not show these as much, but they'll develop nonetheless over time.

Stainless can be repolished fairly easily with various materials also. Many use a scotchbrite pad on the brushed stainless, but a buffing wheel on a dremel would work for the high polished stainless [ just be careful and go slow ].

If you want to carry the gun, the fine scratches are considered "character" and people know you actually carry the gun and it's not just for Bar-B-Q's and show.

I could care less what my carry guns look like, it's a user gun and a tool. The collector grade guns aren't bought for carry so they stay in pristine condition. You have to decide if that gun is a carry gun or just an occasional range/Bar-B-Q firearm.

Brownie

"Stainless can be repolished fairly easily with various materials also. Many use a scotchbrite pad on the brushed stainless, but a buffing wheel on a dremel would work for the high polished stainless [ just be careful and go slow ]"

Is there a brand name for these products? I assume gun shops would have them?

While I have you here Brownie I have been wanting to ask you a question about sharpening knives we talked about before. You have the carbide, ceramic and the diamond part.

I can't remember but I think you said you never use one of the three. I think it was the diamond part not sure though. Why?

Lastly, don't the carbide and ceramic get dull after some time? When do you know to replace or buy a new knife sharpener? THanks as always.

Scotchbrite pads are found in local food stores. They are designed to be used in the kitchen, but make quick use of reconditioning stainless steel firearms finishes.

I've replaced the course [ brown ] ceramic stones on the Spyderco set once in 15+ years after sharpening over 8K knives with them.

The fine white ceramic stones of the Spyderco kit have never needed to be replaced. I only use the diamond sticks [ no longer available for that kit ] when absolutely necessary and they'll last my lifetime.

I don't think a Spyderco kit could be worn out using it for one's personal sharpening needs. My kit was used to sharpen everyone's knives from the gun club for years before the course stones needed replacing.

Hope that answers your question.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Bar-B-Q gun, hehe
    Wag more, bark less. 8@P

NRA Life Member
    Florida Concealed Carry

Distinguished Member Glock23-4-Me's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LevelG27 View Post
    I have the CZ 75B High Polished Stainless Steel full size (no compact or subcompact) I was wondering first of all is the standard size to big to even holster it?

Also, would the leather or they other type (can't think of the name) holster scratch/tarnish the stainless steel? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Tell you what. You give me your highly polished stainless steel full size gun. I will take it and treat it right and I will give you this............

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

LITTLE BEAR HOLSTERS

I am not a lawyer!! Any information I provide is my opinion only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you need legal advice, I suggest you call someone with a law degree.

Quote Originally Posted by LevelG27 View Post
    I have a S&W Model 66 in stainless steel that I have carried on and off in leather for over 30 years and it has never caused any
    " wear damage " to the weapon.

As Brownie said earlier, if there is any " wear " shown on it, I too would consider it to be " character wear ".

Now, if you want to talk about " character wear ", let me tell you about my Combat Commander in Satin Nickel finish .... that baby screams
    " character wear ", but it still shoots as good today as it did when I bought it 35 years ago.
    I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution
    of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic ...

" If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to.
    This is the last stand on earth. "
    - Ronald Reagan, October 27, 1964

NRA Life Member - If not, you should be too!!
    COTEP Member Number: 751

Quote Originally Posted by Glock23-4-Me View Post
    Tell you what. You give me your highly polished stainless steel full size gun. I will take it and treat it right and I will give you this............

Ha Ha...To Funny. Sure I will take that gun and give you mine....lol

Sposors