Thread: My new Colt Defender .45 acp

Banned

My new Colt Defender .45 acp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colt_defender___45_acp_1801.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	12250
    After posting about my AR-15 and no place to shoot it anyplace close enough to suit me, I traded it and another gun and got a Colt Defender in .45 ACP. I had a Defender in 9mm last year and loved the Hogue grips which fit my hand perfectly. The weight was good and I am partial to small guns. In fact I went looking for a S&W revolver only to discover that a K frame looks and feels much larger than I remember from my younger days. I got so used to small guns that for me a Glock 19 is a large gun and my full sized 1911 seems oversized even though I have owned on for many years in the past. Given my nerve damaged hands I find it better to stick with small and lighter guns and this gun gives me a very secure full handed grip.

I sold my last one because I really wanted it in .45 but could only find one in 9mm. It was great to carry and nice and comfortable against my skin but I had other 9mm guns that were about the same size or smaller that held a few less or a lot more rounds so it went and I missed it ever since.

Today I was killing time at my LGS and saw it in .45 and drove home to grab my AR which I have not even shot yet and a pocket pistol that never saw the inside of my pocket. Drove all the way back and we did an even trade with some free range visits, ammo and targets thrown in to even it out. I was happy as I traded safe queens and got a gun I really wanted. A gun that I use is worth two in the safe.

Having owned one before I know it well. Good trigger, positive manual safety and reliable. It carries very well to me unlike a lot of guns I try to carry on my belt that are lighter or smaller. The best part was that I knew it would fit the holsters I have for my CM9 and it does that very well. I can use my Galco King Tuk and recent custom Simply Rugged Holster as well as some others I have hanging around from my old PM9. That is the beauty of pancake holsters and even the King Tuk as they fit an assortment of guns because they are not as finely molded to a particular gun. They still retain very well and enable me to get a combat grip. The gun does not wobble and fits perfectly in these holsters so I am a happy camper. It even fits into my new 5.11 gun pouch that I use for cycling. Best of all, it fits into my pocket using my old Kahr PM9 Nemesis holster.

When I had the Defender in 9mm I also bought a Colt New Agent so I know that with 185 Hornady FTX ammo it is very manageable and the ammo is optimized for short barrels. I will probably buy some DPX next time though as I have been using that for my pocket pistols since it is optimized for 3" barrels.

Many of you know that sometimes you sell or trade guns and regret it later. This gun was one of those but I now have it in the caliber I wanted. It will make a good companion to the full sized S&W 1911E I recently bought. It seems that I am going full circle back to my roots as I find that with an exception here and there I am ending up with 1911's and revolvers.

Some info on the gun is that it has a lowered ejection port, dimpled feed ramp to help with hollow points, aluminum frame with SS slide. No bushing and a lot easier to disassemble than my full sized 1911. Just pop out the slide release and that is it. Good Novak sights and it weighs about 24 oz..

Very nice , I thought I was the last colt fan . good luck
    Florida CWFL Member NRA , Florida Carry

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl 007 View Post
    Very nice , I thought I was the last colt fan . good luck
    Nope. My first revolver was a Detective Special and I stuck with Colt until the dark days. My next must have gun is the new Colt Mustang. Been on waiting lists since July 2011.

How much does it weigh ? , is it 45acp?
    Florida CWFL Member NRA , Florida Carry

Banned

The Colt Mustang is a .380, and seemed a bit pricey to me...

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/Colt...ocketlite.aspx

Banned
    Colt lists the weight at 24 oz. It feels lighter than a lGlock 19 with 15 rounds loaded. The gun just feels good in the hand and IWB.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sstpierre View Post
    The Colt Mustang is a .380, and seemed a bit pricey to me...

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/Colt...ocketlite.aspx
    Most Sig P238's cost more, are heavier and have raised sights that can snag. Its SA trigger is heavier and yet is is selling like hot cakes so despite it being nothing more than a .380 in a fancy dress people are willing to spend what it takes to get one. What is considered pricey is relative to its perceived worth to the buyer. To you it is pricey. Others are willing to pay above MSRP for one just like they do with Seecamps and other scarce guns.
    Last edited by OldDog; 09-23-2012 at 04:23 AM.

Congrats, I've had mine for a few years and love it.

Actually had my slide finished in hard chrome by Colt last year.

Distinguished Member XK_Commander's Avatar
    Congrats! Got any more pics?
    "Si vis Pacem, Para bellum"

NRA MEMBER

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."
    Winston Churchill

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."
    Bruce Lee

COTEP #CBOB0717

Nice looking gun. Did you shoot it yet and if so, how's it shoot?
    My definition of gun control is using both hands.

Sposors