Thread: Sig P290RS

Banned

Sig P290RS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P290-detail-hero.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	11258

Sig first introduced the Sig P290 in 2010. It was not received as well as they hoped for. It felt and looked clunky, the mag release stuck out too far causing too many unintentional mag releases, the slide release was sharp cutting the fingers of some on recoil, the grip was not big enough for evena good two finger grip for most, the trigger was gritty and heavy and for a DAO pistol, it did not have restrike capability. After the hammer fell you had to recock the slide to take another shot. For these reasons I avoided buying the P290 even though I love Sigs.

Last week I came across the new P290RS at my LGS. The "RS" stands for restrike. However, that is not all Sig did to improve this little pocket pistol. The rear of the gun, especially the beavertail, was recontoured to prevent slide/hammer bite and allows you to grab the gun as high as you can. A slight bevel on the front of the slide makes it look less chunky. The hammer is a pretty smooth 7.5 lbs now but feels more like about 5 lbs. The grip is feels like my beloved skate board tape. Not painful but a solid grip on both sides, front and back. A small magazine extension has been added so that you get a solid two finger grip on the gun. These changes have made the P290 much more ergonomic than it was the first time I held one. It comes with a 6 and 8 round mag. The 8 rounder mag allows a full hand grip and unlike many other extended mags I have had for other guns; this one does not wobble or feel loose. The slide release has been recontoured also so it has no sharp edges. The mag release does not stick up as much anymore so that it no longer can accidently be depressed by simply holstering your gun. Mags can be tapped into the gun without first holding down the mag release and they drop free easily.

The specs and review from GunBlast are here: Gunblast Review

The gun is under an inch thin if you do not count the slide release. It has a good short trigger reach which allows me to place my finger as I like on the trigger face. Sigts are Siglite night sights and full sized offering a good sight picture. Both front and rear are driftable and replaceable. The weight with an empty mag is 20.5 oz. which, to me, it in my carry range. I mostly pocket carry it as all my pants have big and deep pocket. I can pocket carry the Shield also. On the belt it just disappears due to its very small grip. The grip also has removeable panels to replace them with G10, wood, etc. although the sand paper ones that come with it are great for traction without being abrasive. No grip panels are available anyway at this time.

Under the barrel you will find an oval shaped rubber plug which can be removed to reveal a hole that you can attack a Sig proprietary laser to. You can buy the P290 with or without the laser but so far you cannot buy the laser separately. With the Siglite sights I saw no need for the laser on a pocket gun, especially ones that you had to make an effor to turn on. It also limits you holster choices and there are not a whole lot of choices out there compared to other models. I am having a OWB hoslter made up for me but have been using the holsters I had for my Kahr PM9. They seem to fit very well. For pocket carry I use the Nemesis I had for my PF9 which also is for the P290. Same for a few other holsters.

I shot Corbon PDX 95 gr. 9mm ammo though it with no problem. This ammo is made specifically for short barrels and is supposed to provide the same performance as their 115 gr. bullet out of a 4" gun. I also tried the Speer Short barreld ammo as well as my standby Hornady Critical Duty and Defense as well as some PDX and other assorted 9mm rounds I have laying around. Also shot 200 rounds of WWB 115 gr. FMJ. Not one problema and recoild was very manageable no matter what I shot probably due to the weight of the gun. Accuracy was very good although I only shot out to 15 yards this trip. Easy to put them within a 4" circle. I had no problems with the trigger as I am very used to DAO and DA/SA guns. I learned 40 years ago how to shoot a revolver without disturbing my sight picture. To tell the truth, I have to practice more with SA guns as I tend to fire them before I am ready.

Depsite the MSRP, I got mine for $550 and have seen them for less online. The laser seems to add another $80 to the cost. I like the gun. It just feels right in my hand which a Glock 26 never did. I also had the LC9 but the sights were small and it felt too thin for my tastes. I currently have the Shield and will sell it as soon as I get the word around as they are very hard to find around here and mine only has 100 rounds through it. Unfortunately I just bought a MTAC holster for it so maybe I will bundle it or just buy a new shell for the holster. While I think that the M&P Shield is a winner, I just prefer a heavier gun and the Sig sights. THe Shield is just a little longer and slightly higher but it also holds one more round with its smaller mag. It is also thinner. Maybe I will keep both but a lot of people want the Shield so perhaps now is a good time to sell it as it is a safe queen right now having only been carried once. Time will tell.

So all in all, having owned the LC9, PM9, PF9, and Shield, the winner for me is the Sig P290RS.

Great review! I felt like you with the gen.1 P290, just too small.
    LIBERTY 0R DEATH, PATRIOT, VETERAN, HARLEY RIDER, FLORIDA CARRY INC. MEMBER!
    https://www.facebook.com/BasicsRangeandGun?ref=stream
    http://store.basicsrangeandgun.com/
    SPECIAL WARFARE TEAMS ROCK, WHO'S NEXT?
    STEP OFF OBAMA!

Banned
    Carried in pocket and OWB this whole weekend. Carries and conceals very well for me especially on the belt. Just no printing at all with a holster that holds it tight to your body. The new grip lets you get a good hold for shooting but is still small enough to not stick out in the back when bending over. It is rapidly becoming my favorite EDC. My Shield is almost brand new and is already a safe queen to be sold when I get around to it.

Sposors