Florida Concealed Carry banner

Feels like Christmas morning got my permit today

8K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  2700 
#1 ·
Got my permit today FINALLY, no more glove compartment, snapped holster or zippered case anymore, it was about time.

Took my class at the Orlando Fairground Gun Show.
04/05/2012 = Sent package with a Money Order
04/07/2012 = Package was delivered at Tallahassee
05/09/2012 = Permit was issued
05/16/2012 = Got it in the mail

I used a Money Order hoping faster turn around, but still took 41 days to arrive.

Got it in time for this weekend gun show, no more 3 days waiting period :2thumsup

#2 ·
CRD,

Now the "Old guy's speech!

Glad to have your FCWFL, Now the learning begins.

Now more than ever you carry a responsibility greater than you have ever held before. You hold life and death in your hand and in but a split second what you decide to do will hopefully be viewed as the right thing to do by 12 of your peers and a Judge. Yes you are a member of the club now. Seek knowledge, learn to be more polite then ever before, learn not to provoke, learn not to place yourself in a position to need the use of deadly force. Life is not a fantasy or a movie. If you ever have to defend yourself with this deadly force you can now carry concealed you will see something so violent it will make you sick. Killing a human being even for the right reasons is something you will never get over. Something inside your very soul changes forever. However, never ever let some perp take your life, loved ones, or defenseless people you can protect. God bless you and I hope you carry 24/7 and never use it except for targets of paper and steel. Good luck CRD!

#8 ·
sg60: Maybe an "old guy's speech" but it never gets old ... always a good reminder for us all

#4 ·
Congrats! Don't forget your Wally Walk!

#10 ·
The funny thing is that I checked my mail box before leaving my house for a gun trade and since the permit was there I couldnt wait to go to my safe and pick up my carry gun before leaving for the trade I had to choose from (Keltec 380, Keltec PF9 or AMT Back 45) I end up choosing my Keltec 380 the one I carry 24/7 inside my home.

I get to the trade and then decide to go to Dick's Sporting Goods store, I felt the Keltec on my pocket the whole hour I was in the store, and always checking if it was visible, long story short I carry this gun inside my home all day and I forget thats there, but today at the store I felt it all the time or I was paranoid.

I kept saying to myself I DO have the permit on my wallet so Im legal to carry.

I hope this past because I plan to carry my AMT Backup 45 on a crossbred holster.

I think this happens to every newbie when carrying for the first time right?

#5 ·
Congrats

#7 ·
Congrats! and +1 to safetyguy60, words of wisdom!

#14 ·
Thanks all for the Congrats, I really hope I NEVER have to use my gun for self defense, but no matter what they say it makes you feel safer and more mature on every day decisions you make.

#15 ·
I recieved my license last week and have been carrying my 380 PPK/S. I have been hyper aware too. Today I switched to my PPQ, I thought everyone was watching me.
This little blue card is a huge responsibility, I hope the only time anyone sees my weapons is at the range.

#19 ·
Carrying for a month now: I never really had an issue with being afraid people will recognize that I am carrying. (I am conscious about how I move in stores, or how I sit at restaurants, but I am not freaked out about somebody seeing me carry.)

I also have never had an issue carrying my 1911 "cocked and locked."

BUT, I have had an issue the two times I have been around LEO while carrying. Once was at a restaurant, and once was at a movie theater when several officers were doing the whole teen-crowd-control/deterrent thing. When I see LEOs, I get a bit obsessive about tugging at my shirt and keep glancing to make sure they aren't watching me. I have never been in trouble with the law, and I know I am carrying legally, but the idea of one of them putting me on the ground in public while they sort out a MWAG makes me OVERLY paranoid.

As with everything else, I'm hoping this neurosis passes with time. :grin

#20 ·
Almost forgot

Buy the Book!

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/

I do not receive any payment of any kind for this recommendation. It just makes real good sense!

Enjoy your enhanced security for your self defense and that of your family, friends, and those you may be able to help, guaranteed by God!

#21 ·
It has been a little over a year for me. Now I do not care if there is a bulge in my pocket or under my shirt. No one ever asked me if I had a gun on me or spotted it; even those who know I carry. I carry thick guns, Sig P229, 220 and P290 as well as J-frame revolvers. Smaller ones go in my pocket. Larger ones IWB/OWB under an untucked shirt. No problems and no longer think about it as long as the gun itself is not visible to others. Lots of people wear their phones, knives, keys, wallets and other things on their belt. No one thinks anything of a bulge that does not have the distinct outline of a gun.

#22 ·
congrats CRD.. im on day 8 of the wait.. i am obsessing because Homeland security insisted i use my name on Birth Cert which is Francis. on every legal paper i have my name is frank.. i hope that does not throw a wrench in the system as i have an arrest in the 80's under frank and now im claiming to be francis.. sigh..

anyway my brother, i live down the road from you and often can be found at starbucks in cleremont. i am the preacher on a Motorcycle. I also work at Matthews Hope in Winter Garden. Cleremont residents would be glad to know that there is another armed citizen helping maintain their way of life..

be safe and be blessed
Brother Frankie

#23 ·
Weird no one has said this yet. Get the green book "Florida Firearms Law, use, and ownership". This is an indispensable tool you must have often within arms reach. I keep my copy in my car.

But above all get training, as much and often as you can afford. Please don't overlook this part and don't make excuses for not getting it. It's expensive at times, and time consuming but the best investment for SD by a mile. Do it for your sake, your family's sake, my family's sake, and everyone else's sake.

We have incredible trainers in here putting up classes very often. Check the training section of the forum.

Welcome to the club!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#25 ·
Weird no one has said this yet. Get the green book "Florida Firearms Law, use, and ownership". This is an indispensable tool you must have often within arms reach. I keep my copy in my car.

But above all get training, as much and often as you can afford. Please don't overlook this part and don't make excuses for not getting it. It's expensive at times, and time consuming but the best investment for SD by a mile. Do it for your sake, your family's sake, my family's sake, and everyone else's sake.

We have incredible trainers in here putting up classes very often. Check the training section of the forum.

Welcome to the club!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
safetyguy60 did and I couldn't agree more with what both of you have said in this thread. :thumsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.