Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bicycle tire question

Distinguished Member XK_Commander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ironwithlace View Post
    Just curious. How do you guys carry when you ride?
    I mountain bike, therefore I just usually carry a knife. But if it is late in the day when I ride, I will throw the ccw in my water pack.
    "Si vis Pacem, Para bellum"

NRA MEMBER

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."
    Winston Churchill

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."
    Bruce Lee

COTEP #CBOB0717

If you're just a road and trail guy, Serfas, Specialized and Canondale all make "inverse tread" tires that offer superb puncture resistance along with good riding qualities. They're not the lightest, but you'll have even less to worry about when it comes to road hazards.

As for going thinner: abso-frickin-lutely go with skinnies. It'll focus your weight on a smaller patch of road, increasing traction while reducing rolling resistance. For hard surfaces you want a small contact patch, for softer surfaces you want a large contact patch. One thing to keep in mind is your tire pump, since skinny tires are often higher pressure tires. My Specialized tires that I used on my old (unfortunately stolen) mountain bike were 85psi tires. The tires on my 700x23c road bike are 135psi. Just be sure your tire pump can safely reach the desired pressure.
    Facepalm, apply directly to the forehead...facepalm, apply directly to the forehead...facepalm, apply directly to the forehead.

Hi IWL. I don't ride a bicycle much now, but I used to ride a LOT. A fanny pack was the only solution that worked for me while riding.
    Audentes Fortuna Juvat---Clan MacKinnon
    Member, NRA
    Member, FLORIDA CARRY
    Member, USCCA-Gold Plus

EDC XD40sc
    BUG AMT40, Kahr CW9

Bike shirt three huge back pockets, Spyderco in one ruger LCR in the other
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell
    NRA certified pistol & RSO
    NRA Life member

Distinguished Member High Seas Drifter's Avatar
    Nice bike
    Thanks! Want it? $100. Really.

I generally pocket carry when I ride but I don't do spandex or anything even similar. I've also just OWB carried.
    • "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -The Dalai Lama

When I ride at home, it's after the kids are in bed, so I'm always looking at 9:30-10ish. I usaully wear a pair of cargo shorts that are real light and thin so they don't bother me and I carry OWB. It's night and I carry at 3 o'clock and I can usually tuck my shirt in just under the hoslter and it keeps in down enough that my shirt doesn't coming up. But then again, I usual "get on it" when I'm going with the flow of traffic while on the trails and don't have to worry about anyone seeing as my body blocks it and my shirt really doesn't move much. On the way back home, while going against traffic on the trails (trails run just off the roads...rails to trails project) I usual take it easy and sit upright more so that a passing car won't notice as much if my shirt does come up. So far no problems.

As far as the tires, I'm going to keep my mostly bald ones for another two weeks. It's just the center that's wore out, the knobs on the side are still good. I'm going up to Dahlonega, Ga the week of Mother's day and have already been checking out the trails up there online. Most of them require crossing small creeks and a lot of single track trails. I might end up, if I like the off road trails up in the mountains, getting another set of rims and have an off road and at-home paved trail set up. I hit the mountains quite often and it might just become a new hobby.
    Two things are certain in life....death and taxes. However, I've never heard of death getting worse everytime congress meets.

The bike tire thread is almost as good as a caliber war.

Kinda. Tires are about as hotly discussed as what ammo maker is better. I'm more of an armored tire person (even my 700x23c road bike tires have anti puncture strips and asymetric walled tubing to make it even more puncture resistant), since it lets me keep my mind on what's around and less on what's underneath me.

Some folks want ultralight tires, some folks like full knobbies, some like half-slicks, others like siped tires...some like cheap tires, there's many options out there.

You want real controversy among cyclists, let's get into chain lubricants...that's more like the caliber war (I'm a Phil Wood Tenacious Oil fan).
    Facepalm, apply directly to the forehead...facepalm, apply directly to the forehead...facepalm, apply directly to the forehead.

Distinguished Member High Seas Drifter's Avatar
    I also prefer puncture resistant tires. Especially for riding on the beach (shells). The bike I have now has those tires and they also happen to be the biggest tires available for the bike. In fact, I had to use spaces to raise the fender up a hair so that they wouldn't rub. Rides like a dram though! Oh yeah, greaseless chain!

• "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -The Dalai Lama

Distinguished Member
    The worst place to decide on what type tire you want on your bicycle is an internet forum. Ride down to one or two bicycle specialty shops in your area and discuss what type of tire you need for your particular type of riding and the terrain involved. If you do most of your riding on hard surfaces [roads and sidewalks] then you would probably use smooth, lightly treaded tires. If you do most of your riding off-road, then knobby tires would probably be more useful. If you ride a combination of surfaces, then a combo tire might be best suited to your needs. Then you have to decide on high pressure, medium pressure or low pressure tires.

A few years ago, I inherited a bicycle from a friend who upgraded. It came with tires that have a very aggressive knobby tread design. I rarely ride on surfaces other than concrete, tarmac or grass anymore. So, when I replace these tires, it will be with a smooth tread, urban design. Until then, the knobbies work alright on hard surfaces and they provide good resistance for exercise.

Sposors