Florida Concealed Carry banner

Help me to understand this

6K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  edgehill 
#1 ·
MARIJUANA is illegal in all 50 states? you have to wear a sealbelt in every state?

My point is the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT HAS THE LAST SAY.

SO HOW DO WE GET THIS GUYS TO SAY EVERYONE CAN CARRY

The first admendment dosen't say state by state does it?

#2 ·
The 2nd amendment does.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#3 ·
Just my understanding, but seat belt laws are state specific and were adopted on different dates.

Marijuana is another story as the federal law might ban it nationwide but individual states has different laws regulating its possesion and sales, therefore places like California are having a hard time to impose federal law when local LEA do not enforce it.

The second amendment does mention the state specific right..

#9 ·
Don't forget that while seatbelt laws were passed by the states, it was under threat from the feds to cut highway funding if they didn't pass them. I'm sure the inner workings of the federal/local LE and "war on drugs" funding/grant programs have similar strings attached. One day when we elect some real folks with cahones we'll "just say no" to all that funding with strings attached.

Just my 2 cents...

#4 ·
The California mind set has always amased me. If the Federal Gov law says marijuana is illegal and the local LEA do not enforce it, Is not the California LEA breaking the law. And if they are why are they not punished for doing so?

#5 ·
How they could punished a State? As for individual enforcement operations, they do.. on the federal and without local support, which is logistically difficult the least... almost impossible most of the time

I saw a recent documentary on this situation in all states with legal use and the differences in crime and opinions. A lot of opinions both sides of the coin, especially from LE. Really interesting.

#6 ·
Don't conflate the differing definitions of the term "state". You need to use it in context.

#7 ·
which post are you referring to?

#11 ·
Just a thought I had...

I was watching "Wild Justice" that follows the CA Fish and Game. They arrested someone who had a small stash of weed because they were on Federal land. On state land, the amount they had was legal.

I think the Federal government enforces a lot of policies by threatening to withhold money or threatening to forbid inclusion in benifitial agreements. I think that tactic is both good and bad depending on the issue.

#12 ·
The 10th amendment reserves all rights not spelled out in the constitution for the states.
The problem is that the states have been way too willing to let Washington DC. make all the decisions, and pay for the results.
It's time we start electing state officials who want to protect our rights.
What's the old saying? "People get the government they deserve."

#15 ·
The issue a lot of times, especially with traffic laws like seatbelts, is that the federal government will pass a law "encouraging" the states to require certain things, like mandatory seatbelts or speed limits. Then that same law withholds federal transportation dollars to any state that passes a law that complies with the Feds wishes.

Welcome to Unfunded Mandates. Otherwise known as Passing the Buck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.