Thread: I have a Licencing Question

I have a Licencing Question

I have a friend of mine he knows i have applied and currently awaiting a license. He has a particular question he's has an Other then Honorable Discharge from the Military. He asked me if i thought he might have a problem getting his license,I really dont know he has purchased a gun gone through the NCIS background check been approved to Purchase according to licensing it states Dishonorable so if he got through the NCIS background you think he will get his License to carry concealed? I have done some research i know in some states its considered the same as dishonorable anyone have any input so i may help him out.

I don't know the full details of a dishonorable discharge but as long as his discharge did not entail a felony then I don't see a problem.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/eligible.html

Possible Reasons for Ineligibility:
    o A dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.

He should call them and talk to them. It may be a matter of why he was discharged and how long ago it was.
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/sta...dquarters.html

My guess is that even if he is qualified he probably shouldn't send in his DD214.

he has shown it to me Just States Other then Honorable not dishonorable looked it up and this was the definition.

Other Than Honorable (OTH)
    A OTH is the most severe form of administrative discharge. This type of discharge represents a serious departure from the conduct and performance expected of all military members. OTH discharges are typically given to service members convicted by a civilian court in which a sentence of confinement has been adjudged or in which the conduct leading to the conviction brings discredit upon the service. It can also be given as the result of certain civil hearings, like a divorce for adultery. OTH discharges can be accepted in-lieu of court-martial proceedings at the service-member's request. Persons facing OTH are guaranteed, by the Uniform Code of Military Justice, the right to have their discharge heard by an administrative discharge board, which is similar to a court-martial but is not a public forum.

Recipients of OTH discharges are barred from reenlisting into any component of the Armed Forces (including the reserves), and are normally barred from joining the Army and Air National Guard, except under rare circumstances which require exception-to-policy waivers. As of September 2006, all 50 states had policies barring the reenlistment of UOTHC discharge recipients.

In addition, the majority of veterans' benefits are not available to individuals who receive an other than honorable conditions discharge, including the Montgomery GI Bill and (in most cases) VA healthcare benefits.

I'll get him to call before he applies BTW he says its been well bout 26+ years

Here are the others

Bad Conduct (BCD)
    Unlike an administrative discharge, a Bad Conduct Discharge (BCD) is a punitive discharge that can only be given by a court-martial (either Special or General) as punishment to an enlisted service-member. Bad conduct discharges are often preceded by a period of confinement in a military prison. The discharge itself is not executed until completion of both confinement and the appellate review process. Virtually all veterans' benefits are forfeited by a bad conduct discharge.

Dishonorable
    A Dishonorable Discharge (DD), like a BCD, is a punitive discharge rather than an administrative discharge. It can only be handed down to an enlisted member by a General Court-Martial. Dishonorable discharges are handed down for what the military considers the most dishonorable of conduct. This type of discharge may be rendered only by conviction at a general court-martial for offenses such as desertion, rape, or murder, calling for dishonorable discharge as part of the sentence.

With this characterization of service, all veterans' benefits are lost, regardless of past honorable service. This type of discharge carries a heavy stigma. It makes obtaining gainful post-service employment extremely difficult. Also, many states will prohibit ownership of firearms from those who have been discharged dishonorably, as does Federal law.[2]
    Last edited by OrlandoDriver; 07-20-2008 at 12:55 PM.

As long as he meets all other requirements, a OTH discharge will work.

OTH works, thats how i got mine

I was discharged from the service under a "general under honorable conditions" discharge. Granted that was in 1989, but I applied for my license in June, and received it in the mail yesterday.

So it is definitely possible to receive it, but still, I would not include a copy of the DD214 unless necessary.

Sposors