Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Glock 26 gen 4 - Range Report

New Glock 26 gen 4 - Range Report

Gotta love Glock, they certainly do build a nice pistol. But when I first loaded my brand new g26 and racked the slide to put one in the chamber - JAM!! Couldn't believe it, the very first chambered round jammed before it was loaded. Got it out, tried again, and JAM!! Ten rounds in a row all jammed. Thought I might have a defective magazine, so I tried with another mag and it was rough but no jam. Went back to the first mag and no more jamming, but still it was rough. Racking the slide was fine, but as the bullet went to enter the chamber and the slide goes forward into place it felt rough. Thought it might be the ammo (Speer gold dot LE 124 +P HP). Switched to cor-bon and seemed about the same, not nearly as smooth as my g17 gen 3. The Speer ammo is longer than the cor-bon, but a glock should eat anything 9mm.

Went to my local gun range today (Pembroke Gun & Range) and had the glock armorer take a look. He said all was well and knew just what I did wrong. Seems I was a bit gentle on the slide racking and should have pulled back faster and just let go for a hard snap. After all the recoil after each shot is much harder than that. Seemed to work fine after that.

Shot over 80 rounds from the 26 and 35 from the 17, just to compare. I feel I was a bit more accurate with the 17, especially when drawing fast or double tapping. But it got more even toward the end. I've no doubt that after a few hundred rounds I'll be just as accurate with both.
    Ruby

Glock 17 & 26
    S&W M&P 340ct
    Mossberg Mariner 590

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O.

X
    Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O

Live and learn. Good luck with the 26, I know it will be great.
    Chose a weapon that goes BANG every time!

Distinguished Member bladenbullet's Avatar
    the slide should always be released from all the way back and not ridden forward...it takes a great deal of force to slide a round out of the mag, into the feed ramp and up into the chamber....that baby's gotta run!....youll find using the slide release itll always chamber effortlessly...nothing holding the slide back...

enjoy...
    Top Dog Wannabe....

"the two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why"...mark twain

"a ship in harbor is safe. but thats not what ships are built for."
    john a shedd

keep moving...if you make em believe youre crazier than they are theyd have to be a fool to stick around and find out what youre capable of...me...

pink is the new black....

Distinguished Member Glockinator's Avatar
    On all my Glocks I rack the first round fast and hard. The guns seem to like that. I love my 26.

Distinguished Member Glockinator's Avatar
    One more thing; you'll find that the slide will wear in as you use it. When I got my second Glock the slide felt stiff and almost grainy when I racked it. My first Glock was smooth as glass. After 4000-5000 rounds the slide is much improved. I also noticed the same thing on my next 2 Glocks. I actually rack the slide a few thousand times on a new Glock to accelerate this process. You can get a few hundred racks a day in while watching TV. Although it tends to piss off my girlfriend when I do that.

congrats on the new Glock. I also have the Gen 4 26 and mine has been 100% flawless.

Don't ride the slide (with any semi-auto). Sling-shot that baby! Pistols like it.

Ruby,

Soon as you described what you did, I knew you were following the slide forward! But all's well that ends well, get an extended slide release, much easier to release the slide on a reload (Glock call it a Slide Lock Lever) put a set of TruGlow sights on it, perfection!

Carry a Glock 19 or 17 magazine as a spare!

Good luck with your Gen4-Glock26.
    Be Safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    Ruby,

Soon as you described what you did, I knew you were following the slide forward! But all's well that ends well, get an extended slide release, much easier to release the slide on a reload (Glock call it a Slide Lock Lever) put a set of TruGlow sights on it, perfection!

Carry a Glock 19 or 17 magazine as a spare!

Good luck with your Gen4-Glock26.
    This issue never occurred with my G19. I guess it might be because the longer slide on the 19 gives it a bit more inertia as it starts to move forward and the inertia on the 19 overcomes the friction that might otherwise allow the 26 to jam. Anyway, problem seems to be solved, thanks everyone.

As for the extended slide release, I'm interested, but can that make the gun harder to draw from a holster, or harder to re-holster?
    Ruby

Glock 17 & 26
    S&W M&P 340ct
    Mossberg Mariner 590

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O.

X
    Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O

For me the Gen4 Glocks are all I'll buy now. I like the Grip, and the large mag release on the Gen4's. I own two Gen3'3 RTF2's I like the Grip, but not the mag release on the RTF2's. The Gen4 give the best of both worlds.
    CWFL Holder
    Glock Armorer

Sposors