Florida Concealed Carry banner

Automatic Knives/Switchblades

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Rhodsie 
#1 ·
Hey guys...have a question...

I know you are required to have a concealed weapons/firearms license to carry a switchblade/automatic knife, but what are the legal issues with taking it out of your pocket in public?

I know my question wasn't worded to well, so here's an example of what I mean... I've been carrying a standard pocket knife for about as long as I can remember, as I'm sure most of you all do to. I use it multiple times a day, opening boxes, packages, etc; sometimes in public. My question is if I were to 'replace' my common pocket knife with an automatic knife, am I not allowed to expose it in public and use it as if it were a ''common pocketknife'' because it is in fact a concealed weapon?

Thanks

#2 ·
Assisted opening knives are ok, but a true switchblade, those I do believe have restrictions. Switchblade being the blade comes out of the handle straight out not like a normal knife that swings out.
Try the search bar for switchblade as I know its been discussed in depth before.

#3 · (Edited)
Wrong. Automatic knives can come out the front or swing out. What makes them automatic is they only require engaging a spring release with either hand for the blade to completely open. Assisted opening requires a manual movement of the blade to a certain point then the spring opens the blade the rest of the way. Assisted are legal to carry without a CWL an auto is not. I don't know what the law says on exposing the auto to plain view I would assume it is a violation because it supposed to be concealed. That iis unless you are using it for defensive purposes or to extricate someone like cutting a seat belt.

#4 ·
I seem to remember a rule on one armed individuals?

But the Switchblade is not a true one handed knife in most designs, takes two hands to close.

My preference is the Access lock from Benchmade, the locking device is a spring loaded bar, locks into a curve in the blade.

Relieve the spring catch, swing out, same to close. True one hand open, and close, liftime warranty as well.

#5 ·
#7 ·
I don't carry autos any longer. I have a drawer full of them, and that's where they stay. I can carry a 'common pocket knife' places where I cannot carry a firearm or an auto and using the proper techniques, I can open a Syderco Endura 4 faster than any of my high-end autos.

#8 ·
Your preference, I see no advantage in a non auto unless I'm out of Florida and the state I'm in doesn't allow autos with a CWL.Opening a non auto knife is fine if you don't injure your dominant hand unless you've practiced ambidextrous opening. My minirukus can be opened with either hand easily.

#10 ·
And, keep in mind that state preemption laws do not apply to knives...any local government can have any strange knive law it wants.

I too have a drawer full of autos including benchmade, but only carry my spyderco endura.

It would be strange to get stopped with a knife and a gun and go to jail for the knife.
:thumbsdwn

Just Sayin!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.