Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Knives/Switchblades

Automatic Knives/Switchblades

Hey guys...have a question...

I know you are required to have a concealed weapons/firearms license to carry a switchblade/automatic knife, but what are the legal issues with taking it out of your pocket in public?

I know my question wasn't worded to well, so here's an example of what I mean... I've been carrying a standard pocket knife for about as long as I can remember, as I'm sure most of you all do to. I use it multiple times a day, opening boxes, packages, etc; sometimes in public. My question is if I were to 'replace' my common pocket knife with an automatic knife, am I not allowed to expose it in public and use it as if it were a ''common pocketknife'' because it is in fact a concealed weapon?

Thanks

Assisted opening knives are ok, but a true switchblade, those I do believe have restrictions. Switchblade being the blade comes out of the handle straight out not like a normal knife that swings out.
    Try the search bar for switchblade as I know its been discussed in depth before.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.
    Alexander Fraser Tytler

Quote Originally Posted by Soverign View Post
    Assisted opening knives are ok, but a true switchblade, those I do believe have restrictions. Switchblade being the blade comes out of the handle straight out not like a normal knife that swings out.
    Try the search bar for switchblade as I know its been discussed in depth before.
    Wrong. Automatic knives can come out the front or swing out. What makes them automatic is they only require engaging a spring release with either hand for the blade to completely open. Assisted opening requires a manual movement of the blade to a certain point then the spring opens the blade the rest of the way. Assisted are legal to carry without a CWL an auto is not. I don't know what the law says on exposing the auto to plain view I would assume it is a violation because it supposed to be concealed. That iis unless you are using it for defensive purposes or to extricate someone like cutting a seat belt.
    Last edited by Uechi; 08-21-2011 at 11:26 AM.

I seem to remember a rule on one armed individuals?

But the Switchblade is not a true one handed knife in most designs, takes two hands to close.

My preference is the Access lock from Benchmade, the locking device is a spring loaded bar, locks into a curve in the blade.

Relieve the spring catch, swing out, same to close. True one hand open, and close, liftime warranty as well.
    Be Safe.

Shoot to stop.

The only thing required for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

They who willingly give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Ben Franklin

Floridians - Stop paying too much for your hobby - http://groupbuybulkammo.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    I seem to remember a rule on one armed individuals?

But the Switchblade is not a true one handed knife in most designs, takes two hands to close.

My preference is the Access lock from Benchmade, the locking device is a spring loaded bar, locks into a curve in the blade.

Relieve the spring catch, swing out, same to close. True one hand open, and close, liftime warranty as well.
    My preference too. I have a Benchmade Minirukus auto with axis lock.

I don't carry autos any longer. I have a drawer full of them, and that's where they stay. I can carry a 'common pocket knife' places where I cannot carry a firearm or an auto and using the proper techniques, I can open a Syderco Endura 4 faster than any of my high-end autos.
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rvrctyrngr View Post
    I don't carry autos any longer. I have a drawer full of them, and that's where they stay. I can carry a 'common pocket knife' places where I cannot carry a firearm or an auto and using the proper techniques, I can open a Syderco Endura 4 faster than any of my high-end autos.
    Your preference, I see no advantage in a non auto unless I'm out of Florida and the state I'm in doesn't allow autos with a CWL.Opening a non auto knife is fine if you don't injure your dominant hand unless you've practiced ambidextrous opening. My minirukus can be opened with either hand easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Uechi View Post
    Your preference, I see no advantage in a non auto unless I'm out of Florida and the state I'm in doesn't allow autos with a CWL.Opening a non auto knife is fine if you don't injure your dominant hand unless you've practiced ambidextrous opening. My minirukus can be opened with either hand easily.
    Of course it's a personal preference. The one major advantage is that I can carry what I carry in places you could not carry your miniruckus (legally, anyway, as the same rules apply to auto knives as they do to firearms). Ummm it would be rather silly not to be able to open a knife with either hand, don't you think? Yes, I am proficient at deploying my strong-side folder with my non-dominant hand. Besides, I normally have one accessible to either hand.
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    And, keep in mind that state preemption laws do not apply to knives...any local government can have any strange knive law it wants.

I too have a drawer full of autos including benchmade, but only carry my spyderco endura.

It would be strange to get stopped with a knife and a gun and go to jail for the knife.

Just Sayin!

Sposors