Thread: Russian ammo can penetrate bullet proof vests?

Banned

Russian ammo can penetrate bullet proof vests?

I was at the range and a very knowledgeable gunsmith told me that Tula Ammo is a copper washed steel bullet. He said these steel bullets will blow through a ballistic vest.

I wonder if it's true, and if so, why is it legal?

Many rifle rounds and some pistol rounds can penetrate vests, depending on the specific load, bullet type and level of protection the vest is certified for. They help and are bullet RESISTANT , definitely NOT BULLET PROOF. Russian has little to do with it other than getting the weapon dirtier.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f---with me, I'll kill you all."
    Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

COTEP #744

Very few rifle rounds will not penetrate a ballistic vest without a metal chest plate installed.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Banned
    The Tula ammo has a steel bullet ..... Would a 9mm steel bullet penetrate a vest?

Quote Originally Posted by gunsmith View Post
    The Tula ammo has a steel bullet ..... Would a 9mm steel bullet penetrate a vest?
    Tula is steel CASED and maybe steel cored. I am not aware of any "steel bullet" 9MM ammo. The reason certain handguns that fire RIFLE ammo are looked on suspiciously by authorities is their ability to penetrate vests worn by local and Federal agents. Most rifle ammo travels at much higher velocities than pistol ammo. 3 K FPS is pretty std. for .223/5.56 stuff.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f---with me, I'll kill you all."

COTEP #744

Distinguished Member fuzzy03cls's Avatar
    Tula & other Russian is regular lead ammo just like anything. It's steal jacketed & copper washed. Nothing more.
    The fact it's Russian or steel case has zero to do with this guys assessment.

100rds - 223 Tula 62gr. FMJ Ammo
    [TA223620FMJ] $23.95

Click to enlarge
    IN STOCK!
    From Ammo to Go.

This is .223 Tula 62gr. FMJ ammo. This ammo has the polymer steel case and is non-corrosive. This is good plinking ammo. It has an all copper jacketed bullet, so a magnet will not stick to the bullet itself. It comes packed in 20 rd. boxes, 1000rds. per case

50rds - 9mm Tula 115gr FMJ Ammo
    [Tula919FMJ] $9.95

Click to enlarge
    IN STOCK!

This is Tula 9mm 115gr. FMJ ammo. This ammo is manufactured in Russia. It has a polymer coated steel case. It is NON-corrosive and Berdan primed. It comes packed in 50rd. boxes, 1000rds. per case.

NOT better penetrating, just cheaper IMHO.

COTEP #744

Not Russian but Chek, steel core, steel jacket, late 40's vintage.
    But according to FL laws, illegal to use in a pistol.

In comparison against a steel oil drum, 9mm dented it, 40 but a bigger dent, 357sig almost penetrated it, but this went thru and almost came out the other side.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.
    Alexander Fraser Tytler

Sposors