Florida Concealed Carry banner

Instructor

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  siguser 
#1 ·
Hi all!
I am an NRA Certified Firearm Instructor and have credentials for the following principles:
Pistol
Personal Protection In the Home
Personal Protection Outside the Home
Home Firearm Safety
Chief Range Safety Officer
Would any credentials that I have give me any exemptions if I apply for a Florida CCW Instructor's License? I looked on the Florida DPS website and also the app itself but could not find any info about exemptions
Thank you for any info

#2 ·
Exemptions? What kind of exemptions are you looking for?

You're an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor. That makes you a de facto Florida CCW Instructor. There is no 'Florida CCW Instructor's License'.

#3 ·
You can teach whatever class you want to, even one you've made yourself to certify someone for the FL CWFL.

As an NRA Certified Instructor myself, I've had two students receive their FL CWFL now after teaching my own class.

#5 ·
Thank you all for the info. I thought that I had to be licensed by the State of Florida to teach for a CWFL. So I guess what I would be teaching are the Florida statutes and gun safety. Does the student need to have range qualification? To become a CCW Instructor for the State of Nevada I have to get a busines license, and give a description of what I would be teaching. It's a whole different ballgame here.

#7 ·
Here's the actual statute - Florida only requires proof of SAFE firearms handling Instruction, Instruction on the law and use of force is not actually required.

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
(2) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license if the applicant:
(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

#6 ·
Thank you for the welcome

#8 ·
Thank you SGB. This info is of great assistance as is the rest of the infos. I can teach a student 3 or 4 things. Is there a course teaching time or is that up to me?

#10 ·
Earl 007 Thank you

#12 ·
If it's up to me that's great at least it gives me some leeway intead of being regimental. For the live fire I will use the Nevada standard of 70% passing grade and targets at 3, 5, and 7 yards

#13 ·
Sounds like a winner, Sig.

I keep my sessions fairly open and free flowing, not regimented at all, and tailored to the students skill level/needs. Basic firearms safety, basics of marksmanship, overview of the applicable statutes, Q/A, etc... We'll go through a hundred rounds or so during live-fire. If they can hit the target consistently out to 10yds without putting holes in themselves or me and I'm satisfied that they can safely handle the weapon (however long that takes) I'll give them the cert. The FL training requirement is mostly about safe handling, not uber-proficiency.

If you have any questions about the CWFL program or anything else, feel free to ask.

#14 ·
Thanks Rvr. I'm sure I'll have a question somewhere down the line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.