Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instructor

Instructor

Hi all!
    I am an NRA Certified Firearm Instructor and have credentials for the following principles:
    Pistol
    Personal Protection In the Home
    Personal Protection Outside the Home
    Home Firearm Safety
    Chief Range Safety Officer
    Would any credentials that I have give me any exemptions if I apply for a Florida CCW Instructor's License? I looked on the Florida DPS website and also the app itself but could not find any info about exemptions
    Thank you for any info
    American Legion Member
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Firearm Instructor
    Nevada, Florida, and Multi State CCW Permits
    Front Sight training

one loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them - Thomas Jefferson

Exemptions? What kind of exemptions are you looking for?

You're an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor. That makes you a de facto Florida CCW Instructor. There is no 'Florida CCW Instructor's License'.
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

You can teach whatever class you want to, even one you've made yourself to certify someone for the FL CWFL.

As an NRA Certified Instructor myself, I've had two students receive their FL CWFL now after teaching my own class.

Would any credentials that I have give me any exemptions if I apply for a Florida CCW Instructor's License? I looked on the Florida DPS website and also the app itself but could not find any info about exemptions
    Nope you already are one!!!!
    Welcome to the Forum
    NRA Member
    Florida Carry Member

Instructor

Thank you all for the info. I thought that I had to be licensed by the State of Florida to teach for a CWFL. So I guess what I would be teaching are the Florida statutes and gun safety. Does the student need to have range qualification? To become a CCW Instructor for the State of Nevada I have to get a busines license, and give a description of what I would be teaching. It's a whole different ballgame here.
    American Legion Member
    NRA Life Member
    Front Sight training

one loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them - Thomas Jefferson

Thank you for the welcome
    American Legion Member
    NRA Life Member
    Front Sight training

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by siguser View Post
    Thank you all for the info. I thought that I had to be licensed by the State of Florida to teach for a CWFL. So I guess what I would be teaching are the Florida statutes and gun safety. Does the student need to have range qualification? To become a CCW Instructor for the State of Nevada I have to get a busines license, and give a description of what I would be teaching. It's a whole different ballgame here.
    Here's the actual statute - Florida only requires proof of SAFE firearms handling Instruction, Instruction on the law and use of force is not actually required.

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
    (2) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license if the applicant:
    (h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
    1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
    2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
    6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
    7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

Thank you SGB. This info is of great assistance as is the rest of the infos. I can teach a student 3 or 4 things. Is there a course teaching time or is that up to me?
    American Legion Member
    NRA Life Member
    Front Sight training

I believe the standard is 3 hours or was 4 years ago , just check department of agriculture website good luck
    Florida CWFL Member NRA , Florida Carry

Earl 007 Thank you
    American Legion Member
    NRA Life Member
    Front Sight training

Sposors