Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long gun purchase FROM a non resident

Long gun purchase FROM a non resident

OK, I know a non resident cannot buy a gun in Florida.

My question is, if someone lives in Florida part time, and legally owns a long gun. Can I legally buy that long gun from the non-resident without going through an FFL.

The non-resident is my father, not that it has any basis in law.

Again, we are talking LONG GUN here, not handgun.

Banned
    Does your father maintain a year round residence here in Florida even though he doesn't reside here year round?

Technically, no.

Family is not exempt from the FFL transfer of a long gun sale regarding non residents.

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Does your father maintain a year round residence here in Florida even though he doesn't reside here year round?
    You keep bringing that up, but i am sorry, it is poor advice.
    I am going to make it a point to try and find a law or case law where this made no difference in a case.

Any gun shop or FFL will tell you, no state id, no sale regardless if you own property in the state your trying to buy the gun in. Your residency is determined by the state on your idea. Florida, among other states, has done away with dual residency post 9/11. You used to be able to get non resident ID here, you cant anymore. No ID for the state you are trying to buy a handgun in, no immediate sale. A FFL has to take possession, transfer it to you and ship it to a FFL in your state of residency. If its a long gun, FFL transfer needed but you can take possession of it among the FFL completion and walk out.

Distinguished Member
    Why not have him store the gun at your place since he is gone most of the time?
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

I've purchased guns from my cousin who lives in another state. An individual to individual purchase has no trail and guns don't have to be registered in FL.
    Proud NRA member and Recruiter
    NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
    FDLE Firearms Instructor
    2nd Amendment Defender
    Glock Armorer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynden View Post
    You keep bringing that up, but i am sorry, it is poor advice.
    I am going to make it a point to try and find a law or case law where this made no difference in a case.

Any gun shop or FFL will tell you, no state id, no sale regardless if you own property in the state your trying to buy the gun in. Your residency is determined by the state on your idea. Florida, among other states, has done away with dual residency post 9/11. You used to be able to get non resident ID here, you cant anymore. No ID for the state you are trying to buy a handgun in, no immediate sale. A FFL has to take possession, transfer it to you and ship it to a FFL in your state of residency. If its a long gun, FFL transfer needed but you can take possession of it among the FFL completion and walk out.
    As I previously requested Please feel free to provide information to substantiate your position as I provided Florida statute in the other thread you are talking about, if I'm incorrect I'd love to see the proof. And out of state residents are allowed to purchase long guns from a FFL here in Florida though the law governing FFL sales is different than the law governing private sales as I'm sure you are aware.

Distinguished Member
    I was in the Fl Gun Exchange last week and overheard a conversation between customer and salesman. There was no way the transaction was going to take place and the customer walk out with the firearm since he was not a resident. FGE would contact the customers home FFL, get proof of license and then ship the gun there. The gun had to be paid for at the receiving FFL's place of business. Then it would be released. I just don't recall if they were speaking about a long gun or pistol. I think it was a long gun.(?)
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

Gee, I dunno guys. Maybe because his dad selling him the gun privately is a felony. An FFL is required by law to sell a long gun to a non-resident.

Do whatever you want in your lives but the OP is asking for legal advice. Keep your recommendations of breaking the law to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    As I previously requested Please feel free to provide information to substantiate your position as I provided Florida statute in the other thread you are talking about, if I'm incorrect I'd love to see the proof. And out of state residents are allowed to purchase long guns from a FFL here in Florida though the law governing FFL sales is different than the law governing private sales as I'm sure you are aware.
    Do me a favor.
    Walk into a gun shop and tell them you have ID from Ohio but you own land in Florida and stay here for more than 6 months out of the year. Tell them that makes you a resident and they can sell you a hand gun. They will tell you no way.

Sposors