Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Stack 9mm Pistols for Self Defense-Yes or No

Single Stack 9mm Pistols for Self Defense-Yes or No

Is there any reason to own and carry a 9mm caliber pistol in single stack configuration for self defense?

Please give your reasoning behind your answer.

If you believe they have a place in your arsenal as a self defense tool, which make/model do you feel is the best one you can buy --------- and why?

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Personally I'm a fan of them. For me it's about size, with my body style (same goes for my wife) I just haven't been able to comfortably conceal a larger semi-auto that well. And not carrying isn't an option so I'll trade off some capacity for that.

I DO make sure to carry at least one extra mag on me though. Will usually keep the compact mag in the gun (to keep size down), and then carry a larger/extended mag weak side.

Currently own a Kahr CW9 and Walther PPS. Both have been flawless for me. Each have some small differences that mainly just depend on someone's individual preferences but both can be carried easily all day and still be fun to take to the range.

Distinguished Member deadeyedick's Avatar
    I carry a 7+1 Kahr P9 as my EDC, along with two spare 8-round magazines. It's as easy to conceal as many .380s and I shoot it better than the Glock 26 I also considered when I purchased it. For me it bridges the gap between a full-size service pistol and a back-up gun.

I happen to think that Kahrs are underrated...IMO they are on par with brands such as Glock, H&K, etc. in terms of quality. My P9 is the best compact pistol I've ever owned and I have no qualms about trusting my life with it.
    "It's Fumbles...it was always Fumbles."

Dr. Calvin "Fumbles" Killshot

Distinguished Member
    I don't think a single-stack 9mm pistol is bad for self-defense at all. Generally, they should be more concealable, and more comfortable to where. I've rarely heard of "common" self-defense situations where someone had to dump a 15-round mag and then reload. Unskillled gangbangers shooting at each other, maybe, but not your law abiding citizens defending themselves. Someone more familiar with the stats may prove me wrong.

I think recent 1911-style 9mm pistols are much better than those made in the past, from reviews I've heard and read. It seems that manufacturers started to re-engineer the entire platform for the 9mm round, rather than try to kludge something together starting with .45ACP gun specs. Companies like Wilson Combat reportedly have improved upon one of the big failings of earlier 9mm 1911 pistols...the magazine.

Losing my train of thought here. 9mm single-stack guns for self-defense? Heck yes.

-JT

Distinguished Member
    Is there a place for a 9mm single stack in a person's seld defense arsenal? Yes and no.

Granting the fact that any firearm is better for self-defense than a nail file, the 9mm cartridge is on the low end of the self defense power spectrum. A person would be much better served with a larger caliber or, if a 9mm must be used, with a high capacity [12+] magazine. But, not all people can handle a handgun chambered in a larger caliber due to hand length or lack of concealability. For them, a single stack 9mm may be just the thing. They are compact, carry more than the 5 to 7 rounds of a compact revolver and are quicker to reload, and the ammunition is readily available in a variety of rather potent loadings.

My wife has carried a S&W 908 [9 round 9mm] for several years now and really likes it. It is better than the S&W mod 36 [5 round 38spl] revolver that she used to carry.

how much more likely are you going to bring a 9 round single stack over a 15 round dual stack?

Paul, I carry a glock 17 every day with few exceptions. I may never need the extra rds on board with the 17 but I'm not about to die for want of sending lead while reloadng in the middle of something either.

You bring up a good point though, if you'll carry something over something you'll likely not carry and it happens to be a single stack, that's the best choice for you.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Kahr PM9 for me(6+1). At only 150 lbs (wet), I don't have a lot to camouflage something much bulkier.
    John
    NRA Endowment Member

Smaller grip size argues in favor of single stacks. I just covered that in replying to Brownie's OP on Springfield EMP. Smaller grip size is a key factor for some females. Personally, I also favor single stacks in .45 ACP even though I have some double stacks (XD .45, Taurus PT-92, & Glock 26). My son is a LEO who recently expended 6 .45 ACP rounds out of 8 at BG who tried to run him down in a car after shooting two persons at a night club. Two of the 6 shots were fatal heart shots which makes a good argument for accuracy over round count. Most shootings do not exceed the capacity of a single stack magazine. There are exceptions such as the SLC mall shooting where an off-duty LEO ran dry without a spare magazine, the LA bank robbery some time ago, or when faced with multiple threats, but these are not the norm. Having said that, I always carry a 2nd magazine. With my carry piece that gives me 15 rounds. If it takes more than that then I am SOOL!
    Last edited by Shoot_First; 03-21-2009 at 09:34 PM.
    Kimber TLE II in .45ACP is my truck piece. Kimber Ultra CDP II also in .45ACP for carry. Ruger LCP in .380 as my BUG. TX & FL carry permits. NRA & USCCA member. Shoot at OSA range when in Florida.
    "Remember that in personal defense encounters those that SHOOT FIRST are the likely winners... the BG's mind is already made up... while you decide whether to shoot or not... the BG will shoot you!!"

Distinguished Member
    A second mag always makes sense. After you reload, you can use the rounds in it to keeps their heads down while you scamper off into the all-concealing shadows.

Carry what you can - any gun in a fight is better than no gun. If a single stack is what you can conceal, thats great! I do agree with extra magazines, hopefully you won't need them ever, but thats also true of the gun itself - for emergency use only. I know that this seems to stir controversey but carry the most effective ammo that you can afford.

Sposors