Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes to Florida "K" Firearms Instructor License requirements for issue and renewal

Banned

Changes to Florida "K" Firearms Instructor License requirements for issue and renewal

Just got the letter in the mail.

HB 7209 was signed by Gov. Scott on June 21st. This goes into effect as of July 1st,

K licenses will now be good for three years with no increase in license fees -

An Applicant (Initial or Renewal) must submit one of the following current certificates:

1. The Florida criminal justice standards and training commission firearms instructor's certificate.

2. The National Rifle Association Security Firearms Instructor's Certificate.

3. A Firearms Instructor's Certificate issued by a Federal Law Enforcement Agency.

The NRA Law Enforcement firearms instructor certificate is no longer accepted.

The NRA instructors schedule shows no Security Firearms Instructors courses scheduled through 2012.

This institutes a continuing education standard which effectively eliminates any "k" license instructors renewal that doesn't have an active Florida or Federal firearms instructor certificate.

I see a lot fewer "k" licensed instructors in the near future.

So anyone who holds an LE Firearms Instructor certificate from a non-Florida department no longer qualifies to either apply for the K license, or renew the one that they have.

Well that blows.
    Last edited by Rvrctyrngr; 06-27-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.

I just received my letter as well. Interesting. I was Certified MPTC now the MPCTC or Maryland Police & Corrections Training Commission. I am also NRA LEAD Certified. So I guess this means even though i am more than qualified, I can no longer obtain my K renewals going forward either.

Very interesting. I think I need to call the NRA tomorrow.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalU View Post
    I just received my letter as well. Interesting. I was Certified MPTC now the MPCTC or Maryland Police & Corrections Training Commission. I am also NRA LEAD Certified. So I guess this means even though i am more than qualified, I can no longer obtain my K renewals going forward either.

Very interesting. I think I need to call the NRA tomorrow.
    I put in my call several times today and all I got was voice mail - waiting on the call back

I got good new! I spoke with NRA General Counsel and spoke to Dave Gledhill who heads up NRA LEAD. He advised they are going to change the wording on the certificates and certs to meet state requirement. You have to stay current however so anyone who is expired may have issues.

I spoke to the DOL a few minutes ago. Seems they are taking a good beating by instructors around the state. I heard that they are now looking into a possible change back to accepting the LE Certified IF it is current.

Anyone else getting anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Just got the letter in the mail.

HB 7209 was signed by Gov. Scott on June 21st. This goes into effect as of July 1st,

K licenses will now be good for three years with no increase in license fees -

An Applicant (Initial or Renewal) must submit one of the following current certificates:

1. The Florida criminal justice standards and training commission firearms instructor's certificate.

2. The National Rifle Association Security Firearms Instructor's Certificate.

3. A Firearms Instructor's Certificate issued by a Federal Law Enforcement Agency.

The NRA Law Enforcement firearms instructor certificate is no longer accepted.

The NRA instructors schedule shows no Security Firearms Instructors courses scheduled through 2012.

This institutes a continuing education standard which effectively eliminates any "k" license instructors renewal that doesn't have an active Florida or Federal firearms instructor certificate.

I see a lot fewer "k" licensed instructors in the near future.
    One would wonder the justification by the state agency in the dropping of the "NRA Law Enforcement firearms instructor certificate"?
    Smith & Wesson Sigma Allied Forces SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson Model 10-6 .38 Special (Service Revolver)
    SCCY CPX-1
    NRA Life Member
    Retired
    Vietnam Vet

Politics = Stupidity? lol....Who knows.

PM sent, SGB.

Beers y'all,
    Ken
    Panhandle Defense Institute
    www.PDI-2A.com
    INSTRUO * PUGNA * SUPERSTES

"Armed, people fly their colors. Disarmed, victims wear them."