Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Smart carry and glock 26, one in the chamber ?

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Sorry,had to bail on an emergency.Anywho,I ran into a case that was uncovered (and didn't verify but do believe by Glock's attitude and lost cases but a 'puter crash wiped out a few years of info) recently that I'm recalling from memory.A Deputy was exiting his cruiser with I believe a Gen3 Glock,turned to slide out and the grip hit the steering wheel,twisting the grip while the piece was locked in a duty rig.What was 'discovered' was there was a sharp edge on the frame rail that could snap off (and was supposedly known to happen) and could work down against the trigger bar.When the grip got smacked and twisted,it was enough to trip the striker and booted one in his leg.Like I said I can't link to or verify it,but I figure if Gaston blew smoke up everyone's ass that he pioneered the first use of plastic and the poly bore years after HK did,nice try dude-you just have the swagger of marketing on par with our politicians.IIRC,the gen4 redid this area so it can't happen again.
    Have never heard of this before. Anyone else have the info on this? I would like to read the details and try to verify.
    Jim Dykes
    LTC, US Army (Retired)
    Glock Model 27
    Sig Sauer Model P220

Secretary
    Florida Carry, Inc.

http://www.floridacarry.org

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-T. Jefferson

Distinguished Member Glockinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dayid View Post
    I would not use a smart carry unless they had a product actually stiff enough to protect the trigger fully. We all recently saw the glock with the soft leather holster and the associated hole in a guy's hip and car seat resulting from it. Holsters to me will be stiff leather, kydex, or other materials. I, too, would not trust the smart carry to protect a trigger.
    Yes this. I used to use a small leather bag for transporting the gun back and forth from the car and one time it occurred to me that this might not be safe. I purchased a small holster that I keep it in when transporting a gun and not on the hip.

Distinguished Member OLDJEEP813's Avatar
    Originally Posted by joecarry
    I have issues with the barrel of my gun pointing at "the boys" and if that isn't bad enough, you will most likely hit your femoral artery if you miss them.

I can't see how that can be comfortable having that shoved down your pants when you are sitting or driving.

No thanks.

When worn correctly your weapon never points at the boys, even when you sit. It's actually right in front of the boys kinda like a cup. When you sit it points down between your legs not at your leg. I wore a smartcarry for over a year everyday, carried a Glock 23 13 in the mag 1 in the chamber, never an issue. As for holstering, it is a two hand job. Your off hand holds the mouth of the holster open while your other slowly guides your weapon in. I tried when I first started to carry to get my unloaded Glock to fire while in my smartcarry. Only way I go it to go click was to put a finger in front and behind dig in and wiggle and pull finally heard a click. This couldn't happen during normal wear. The only reason I changed how I carry is the type of pants I was wearing. Dickies changed there style of cut and they were no longer comfortable so I went with different pants that were not pleated in the front so the smartcarry had to go. I carry in a tuckable Little Bear now. I love the holsters Dave makes but I find the draw from the tuckable to be slower than the draw from the smartcarry. With the smartcarry you slide your hand in come back out with your weapon, your hand goes down once and then right back up no waste of motion. With a tuckable you have to grab your cover shirt on the way up pull it out then reach back down for your weapon then back up for the draw, so it's up, down, up one more motion = more time. Since I'm in the service industry I have to go with deep cover so my shirt has to be tucked. As for the OP's concerns try wearing your smartcarry around the house with your unloaded weapon until you get the hang of it. watch where it's pointing and adjust as needed till you find the spot that's right for you then load up it should be fine. Now if your not comfortable then you should find a different way to carry but the smartcarry is safe IMHO to carry a loaded Glock. Just like any holster you have to pay attention when you are reholstering or drawing but while it's in the holster your weapon is fine.

Distinguished Member goldsamurai26's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Have never heard of this before. Anyone else have the info on this? I would like to read the details and try to verify.
    I've seen a couple of e-mail scares, one where the guy says his his Glock fired through his holster into his car seat and grazed his leg. I called BS for many reasons, one of which was it was his right side and a left side holster.
    I'd rather be waterboarding !

I tried to find the article but can't,it was in the area of 3 months ago on either the HK or 1911.com forum.Around the same time there was also a Canadian police department that was pissed at Glock because they had and incident and when Glock got wind of it they threatened to sue them for liable or defemation of character or something if they didn't shut up and it got out in public.The paperwork looked legit but... Anyway I take what I hear on the net with a grain of salt but these 2 cases hit me as having some merrit.If I can come by them again I'll post it unless someone else knows.

Quote Originally Posted by goldsamurai26 View Post
    I've seen a couple of e-mail scares, one where the guy says his his Glock fired through his holster into his car seat and grazed his leg. I called BS for many reasons, one of which was it was his right side and a left side holster.
    I am right handed and the seatbelt is very uncomfortable when I am in the driver's seat. It would be hard to draw as well so I wear it cross draw on long drives. A lefty would have the same problem in the passenger's seat.

I don't believe that a Glock in maintained condition can fire on its own. However, they never muzzle anything that I want to keep.
    Last edited by Glockinator; 04-29-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    I tried to find the article but can't,it was in the area of 3 months ago on either the HK or 1911.com forum.Around the same time there was also a Canadian police department that was pissed at Glock because they had and incident and when Glock got wind of it they threatened to sue them for liable or defemation of character or something if they didn't shut up and it got out in public.The paperwork looked legit but... Anyway I take what I hear on the net with a grain of salt but these 2 cases hit me as having some merrit.If I can come by them again I'll post it unless someone else knows.
    In an accidental discharge you have 2 choices: claim stupidity or blame the gun. If this was true I'm guessing that Glock felt the person simply was not brave enough to admit falt.

Distinguished Member
    Stupidity or defect doesn't matter to the EMT's or surgeon. Or coroner. Fact is, you're pointing a loaded and half cocked pistol at your groin. That makes me uncomfortable. IF you have to draw on someone whether you fire or not, if you're nervous and distracted and you go to re-holster your pistol aiming it at your groin, there is a "possibility" of getting something in the trigger guard. It might be a draw string, shirt tail, corner of a crumpled edge of clothing or even a nervous finger. I can say with the utmost confidence I won't do that but I wouldn't bet a year's wages on it. If I was perfect I'd be rich and perpetually happy. With a OWB belt holster or paddle, if you accidently discharge your weapon however rare and unlikely and for whatever reason that might be, it will more than likely be aimed at the ground behind you. Not saying we're a bunch of klutzes that can't handle a firearms safely. It even happens to LEO's and military personnel on occasion. As much as I like appendix carry as it's very comfortable and concealable, it's just not comforting to me unless it's Israeli style. Then you have that other problem. But it won't be trying to locate your OO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Stupidity or defect doesn't matter to the EMT's or surgeon. Or coroner. Fact is, you're pointing a loaded and half cocked pistol at your groin. That makes me uncomfortable. IF you have to draw on someone whether you fire or not, if you're nervous and distracted and you go to re-holster your pistol aiming it at your groin, there is a "possibility" of getting something in the trigger guard. It might be a draw string, shirt tail, corner of a crumpled edge of clothing or even a nervous finger. I can say with the utmost confidence I won't do that but I wouldn't bet a year's wages on it. If I was perfect I'd be rich and perpetually happy. With a OWB belt holster or paddle, if you accidently discharge your weapon however rare and unlikely and for whatever reason that might be, it will more than likely be aimed at the ground behind you. Not saying we're a bunch of klutzes that can't handle a firearms safely. It even happens to LEO's and military personnel on occasion. As much as I like appendix carry as it's very comfortable and concealable, it's just not comforting to me unless it's Israeli style. Then you have that other problem. But it won't be trying to locate your OO's.
    Of course, I would say the odds are about the same (or maybe less than) a string, piece of cloth, etc disengaging any other manual safety. The only way to overcome this is to never carry a round in the chamber. My feeling is that if I need to use my weapon, I may not have time to chamber a round and there are too many potential issues that could cause a misfeed in trying to chamber a round quickly under duress. I believe that the odds of misfeed, firing after the BG because of having to chamber is much greater than the odds of a piece of cloth or string disengaging a trigger safety AND pulling the trigger.
    Jim Dykes
    LTC, US Army (Retired)
    Glock Model 27
    Sig Sauer Model P220

Secretary
    Florida Carry, Inc.

http://www.floridacarry.org

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-T. Jefferson

Distinguished Member
    I agree and I'm not trying to discourage anyone else from carrying however they feel comfortable. Just splaining why I've resorted to OWB and pocket carry. Sad truth is, more gun owners are shot by their own weapons due to AD/ND than are saved from assault by use of their weapons. I carry with a round in the chamber. I simply want to eliminate the possibility of having to change my user name to Clarice.

Sposors