Florida Concealed Carry banner

Smart carry and glock 26, one in the chamber ?

15K views 63 replies 24 participants last post by  Hannibal 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I have a smart carry on the way and intend to use it for a Glock 26. When I carry the glock in a ct supertuck or OWB, I have a round chambered always. However, the thought of carrying the glock chambered in proximity to vital parts not the least of which is the femoral artery, I worry about a negligent discharge. I know that carrying it unchambered puts you at a disadvantage. But, it seems that concealed carry always involves compromises. BTW, I carry the glock IWB or OWB very rarely because it is just so darned bulky and uncomfortable especially with the typical Florida shorts and t shirts. My EDC is a j frame in the right front pocket which is very easy, but I would like the option for more substantial firepower if my journeys for the day lead me through less desirable areas. So, having said all that, what do you all do with Glocks in smart carry holsters. Thank you for the advice. I am really enjoying this forum, tons of great wisdom here.
Jim

#5 ·
Agreed...100%.....get used to the Glock with one chambered, don't be fumbling with buttons and levers in a time of need...just the trigger.

#3 ·
I would say that if you are not comfortable carrying the Glock with one in the chamber then you either need to get a different gun or carry it a different way. Yes, concealed carry always involves compromises, but Glocks were meant to be carried with one in the chamber. That's how they are designed. Not carrying it that way strikes me as far too much of a compromise to accept.

#6 ·
I also have reservations about breaking one of the gun safety rules in order to carry concealed with my Glock's 5.5 lb feather weight trigger. My Beretta's 12-14 lb DA trigger pull reduces that concern greatly but it's a little heavy for CC. I carry my G26 chambered in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster when the Fobus Evolution paddle holster is impractical. I don't discount carrying Israeli style (loaded mag, empty chamber) for safety from the most likely scenario IF it is practiced that way to the point of no flubs. A Glock can be chambered by catching the sights on your belt or against the edge of something if need be. It's easy and quick to do but also very easy to miss. This guy is good at Israeli carry. I don't know if he's that good every time. Oh nooooo, here comes the flaaaaames!:smack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUd2FzZm70w

#8 ·
I also have reservations about breaking one of the gun safety rules in order to carry concealed with my Glock's 5.5 lb feather weight trigger. My Beretta's 12-14 lb DA trigger pull reduces that concern greatly but it's a little heavy for CC. I carry my G26 chambered in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster when the Fobus Evolution paddle holster is impractical. I don't discount carrying Israeli style (loaded mag, empty chamber) for safety from the most likely scenario IF it is practiced that way to the point of no flubs. A Glock can be chambered by catching the sights on your belt or against the edge of something if need be. It's easy and quick to do but also very easy to miss. This guy is good at Israeli carry. I don't know if he's that good every time. Oh nooooo, here comes the flaaaaames!:smack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUd2FzZm70w
Which gun safety rule?

#7 · (Edited)
I would not use a smart carry unless they had a product actually stiff enough to protect the trigger fully. We all recently saw the glock with the soft leather holster and the associated hole in a guy's hip and car seat resulting from it. Holsters to me will be stiff leather, kydex, or other materials. I, too, would not trust the smart carry to protect a trigger.

#22 ·
Yes this. I used to use a small leather bag for transporting the gun back and forth from the car and one time it occurred to me that this might not be safe. I purchased a small holster that I keep it in when transporting a gun and not on the hip.

#9 ·
This one here. Having my firearm shoved down in my pants aimed at the boys and arteries is a little unnerving.

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

#11 ·
Does this mean you would never carry IWB? If so, I can understand your logic (even though I may disagree). If not, I do not understand the logic.

Jim

#10 ·
I carry my G26 in a SmartCarry fairly regularly. And yes it has a round in the chamber.

The gun fits fairly snug in the holster. Once you get yours, make sure your guns not loaded, rack the slide and stick it into the holster. Now try to pull the trigger. Not gonna happen!

Once you put it on and the loaded gun is in it. Keep your hand out of your pants! You'll be good to go.

I have heard of folks cutting a piece of plastic from a gallon jug that fits in the pocket of the SmartCarry to help with their worry about ND. I haven't done it.

#12 ·
When I first began to carry my Glock I had these reservations also, so I carried it IWB in a soft leather holster for two weeks with an empty chamber. I worked on my garden, changed the oil, dug a ditch, whatever I needed to do. Never did I check the weapon to find the trigger had been tripped. I did purchase a Safe-T-Block just for added piece of mind but now I carry with one in the chamber without a second thought. I like the fact that the block cannot be removed without great effort in the holster, but pops out without thinking about it when inserting the trigger finger. An added benefit of the block is that if someone of the opposite strong hand tried to use it against me, they would have to figure out how to eject the button before they could use it.

#13 ·
I use Kydex once in a while but prefer a quality leather holster, either way, IWB or OWB.

#15 ·
I carry my Glocks unloaded, mag on my belt. Then just in case I have a locked trigger guard installed. I wear the key around my neck. We all know how those Glocks just fire for no reason. I just ask the BG please hold on while unlock and load up. I find its always better the ask please. So far no problems carrying this way.

#19 ·
Sorry,had to bail on an emergency.Anywho,I ran into a case that was uncovered (and didn't verify but do believe by Glock's attitude and lost cases but a 'puter crash wiped out a few years of info) recently that I'm recalling from memory.A Deputy was exiting his cruiser with I believe a Gen3 Glock,turned to slide out and the grip hit the steering wheel,twisting the grip while the piece was locked in a duty rig.What was 'discovered' was there was a sharp edge on the frame rail that could snap off (and was supposedly known to happen) and could work down against the trigger bar.When the grip got smacked and twisted,it was enough to trip the striker and booted one in his leg.Like I said I can't link to or verify it,but I figure if Gaston blew smoke up everyone's ass that he pioneered the first use of plastic and the poly bore years after HK did,nice try dude-you just have the swagger of marketing on par with our politicians.IIRC,the gen4 redid this area so it can't happen again.

#20 ·
My replies on this from another smart carry thread.

I have issues with the barrel of my gun pointing at "the boys" and if that isn't bad enough, you will most likely hit your femoral artery if you miss them.

I can't see how that can be comfortable having that shoved down your pants when you are sitting or driving.

No thanks.
I was thinking that the design of that holster is akin to having an upside down chest carrier in which your barrel points up under your chin all the time. If you wouldn't point a gun at your head, why would you point a gun at your "head"?
Click ---> here

#23 ·
Originally Posted by joecarry
I have issues with the barrel of my gun pointing at "the boys" and if that isn't bad enough, you will most likely hit your femoral artery if you miss them.

I can't see how that can be comfortable having that shoved down your pants when you are sitting or driving.

No thanks.

When worn correctly your weapon never points at the boys, even when you sit. It's actually right in front of the boys kinda like a cup. When you sit it points down between your legs not at your leg. I wore a smartcarry for over a year everyday, carried a Glock 23 13 in the mag 1 in the chamber, never an issue. As for holstering, it is a two hand job. Your off hand holds the mouth of the holster open while your other slowly guides your weapon in. I tried when I first started to carry to get my unloaded Glock to fire while in my smartcarry. Only way I go it to go click was to put a finger in front and behind dig in and wiggle and pull finally heard a click. This couldn't happen during normal wear. The only reason I changed how I carry is the type of pants I was wearing. Dickies changed there style of cut and they were no longer comfortable so I went with different pants that were not pleated in the front so the smartcarry had to go. I carry in a tuckable Little Bear now. I love the holsters Dave makes but I find the draw from the tuckable to be slower than the draw from the smartcarry. With the smartcarry you slide your hand in come back out with your weapon, your hand goes down once and then right back up no waste of motion. With a tuckable you have to grab your cover shirt on the way up pull it out then reach back down for your weapon then back up for the draw, so it's up, down, up one more motion = more time. Since I'm in the service industry I have to go with deep cover so my shirt has to be tucked. As for the OP's concerns try wearing your smartcarry around the house with your unloaded weapon until you get the hang of it. watch where it's pointing and adjust as needed till you find the spot that's right for you then load up it should be fine. Now if your not comfortable then you should find a different way to carry but the smartcarry is safe IMHO to carry a loaded Glock. Just like any holster you have to pay attention when you are reholstering or drawing but while it's in the holster your weapon is fine.

#25 ·
I tried to find the article but can't,it was in the area of 3 months ago on either the HK or 1911.com forum.Around the same time there was also a Canadian police department that was pissed at Glock because they had and incident and when Glock got wind of it they threatened to sue them for liable or defemation of character or something if they didn't shut up and it got out in public.The paperwork looked legit but... Anyway I take what I hear on the net with a grain of salt but these 2 cases hit me as having some merrit.If I can come by them again I'll post it unless someone else knows.

#27 ·
In an accidental discharge you have 2 choices: claim stupidity or blame the gun. If this was true I'm guessing that Glock felt the person simply was not brave enough to admit falt.

#28 ·
Stupidity or defect doesn't matter to the EMT's or surgeon. Or coroner. Fact is, you're pointing a loaded and half cocked pistol at your groin. That makes me uncomfortable. IF you have to draw on someone whether you fire or not, if you're nervous and distracted and you go to re-holster your pistol aiming it at your groin, there is a "possibility" of getting something in the trigger guard. It might be a draw string, shirt tail, corner of a crumpled edge of clothing or even a nervous finger. I can say with the utmost confidence I won't do that but I wouldn't bet a year's wages on it. If I was perfect I'd be rich and perpetually happy. With a OWB belt holster or paddle, if you accidently discharge your weapon however rare and unlikely and for whatever reason that might be, it will more than likely be aimed at the ground behind you. Not saying we're a bunch of klutzes that can't handle a firearms safely. It even happens to LEO's and military personnel on occasion. As much as I like appendix carry as it's very comfortable and concealable, it's just not comforting to me unless it's Israeli style. Then you have that other problem. But it won't be trying to locate your OO's.

#29 ·
Of course, I would say the odds are about the same (or maybe less than) a string, piece of cloth, etc disengaging any other manual safety. The only way to overcome this is to never carry a round in the chamber. My feeling is that if I need to use my weapon, I may not have time to chamber a round and there are too many potential issues that could cause a misfeed in trying to chamber a round quickly under duress. I believe that the odds of misfeed, firing after the BG because of having to chamber is much greater than the odds of a piece of cloth or string disengaging a trigger safety AND pulling the trigger.

#30 ·
I agree and I'm not trying to discourage anyone else from carrying however they feel comfortable. Just splaining why I've resorted to OWB and pocket carry. Sad truth is, more gun owners are shot by their own weapons due to AD/ND than are saved from assault by use of their weapons. I carry with a round in the chamber. I simply want to eliminate the possibility of having to change my user name to Clarice.

#37 ·
I understand. We all evaluate risk/reward of decisions and I would not take anyone to task for their analysis as long as it is consistent and logical (as yours surely is). Personally, I believe that the risk of cataspohic failure of the weapon is small enough to warrant IWB carry with a round in the chamber, but have nos issue with you deciding that you will be even more safe and carry OWB. I am not sure that pocket carry provides the level of safety that you are looking for, but not being someone who pocket carries, I will defer to your decision. Good discussions on the thread (still am not buying the issue with the Glocks until I see more info besides someone on a 1911 forum said...).

#31 ·
#33 ·
Nope,I can't find it but did find out the rail breakage was a problem about 10 years ago so there is merrit to the AD.Found out Glock isn't big on contacting people about problems,they'll take care of a LE dept or agency but their dealers weren't notified,nice.

Be wary of certain Galco holsters,supposedly the boning in the triggerguard is so tight there have been a few ADs.

#34 ·
Sorry,had to bail on an emergency.Anywho,I ran into a case that was uncovered (and didn't verify but do believe by Glock's attitude and lost cases but a 'puter crash wiped out a few years of info) recently that I'm recalling from memory.A Deputy was exiting his cruiser with I believe a Gen3 Glock,turned to slide out and the grip hit the steering wheel,twisting the grip while the piece was locked in a duty rig.What was 'discovered' was there was a sharp edge on the frame rail that could snap off (and was supposedly known to happen) and could work down against the trigger bar.When the grip got smacked and twisted,it was enough to trip the striker and booted one in his leg.Like I said I can't link to or verify it,but I figure if Gaston blew smoke up everyone's ass that he pioneered the first use of plastic and the poly bore years after HK did,nice try dude-you just have the swagger of marketing on par with our politicians.IIRC,the gen4 redid this area so it can't happen again.
Seriously? And you believe that BS? Cause that what it is BS. If you know how a glock works to fire, you'd understand that.
Pulling the trigger is the only way to discharge a Glock. Unless there's some catastrophic part failure.
They came out with a gen 4 to solve it? LOL that's funny. Only reason glock came out with a gen 4 was to try to remain competitive with other brands.

#35 ·
You just take a good bit of time getting use to that Smart Carry HJHMD, and you'll do fine with it. You've read it on here from those that know, the gun is not going off when its in the holster, and its not pointed at anything but the ground (if you're wearing it correctly) unless you cross your legs, then it might be pointed at a leg. Just like the pocket holster that points the gun right at your spouses guts across the table from you, or the shoulder holster that wipes everyone behind you. Don't forget, you're not "pointing" the gun at anything! You're carrying a safely holstered firearm. There's a "big" difference.
I've carried the full gamut in Smart Carry type rigs, and they just work. The one thing you can't do is get in a hurry holstering your loaded weapon. One caveat to that, I won't carry a 1911 with an ambi safety, 'cause I personally like my safety to stay on with those rigs, and the inside stitch work around my zipper clips the ambi's off. Other than that: don't pull the trigger, and it won't go off.

#36 · (Edited)
Could be BS but there's been problems and LE has ditched them,straight from their mouths,and I hear a bit of griping about them on a 1911 forum-that isn't BS.I have watched info on Glock problems dissappear real fast from public view but not other brands,hmmm.That could be why I can't find the AD prob I quoted earlier or the Canadian's being threatened with a lawsuit.Personally I could care less and don't care what anyone else thinks is best,I happen to not like them and haven't since the first generation.The grip angle,trigger and frame flex irritate me but if you guys like them by all means have at it because everyone likes different things.I'm not fond of plastic to begin with but I finally broke down and got one,but I went with the real innovator of plastic and poly bores.I do get a chuckle out of Glockies though,it's almost as if you insulted their Mother if you don't agree they're the best thing since sliced bread.I've always ran the 1911 platform and know how to fix any problem that comes up with them that doesn't require a mill,that means sights and correcting an off spec frame ramp.Must be something right if they're still sought after and severely copied 100 years later.It all comes down to every gun made has malf'd,KB'd and broke parts.I know people that love Ruger P series,I don't like them but bail right in if it's your thing.There is no best gun when you look at the major players,it's personal preference.$500,$1200 and $3500 custom builds have puked and will in the future,it's life.The more that are made,the more you hear about them plain and simple.

edit;I don't follow Glocks obviously except for what the lovers and gripers say and only recently heard about the rail breakage problem coinciding with the new generation,yep I assumed knowing better than to.The rail problem was 10 years ago I found out.Sorry,my fault.As far as all the remarks a Glock can't go off without pulling the trigger without parts failure,that covers pretty much every gun doesn't it?

#38 ·
I don't follow Glocks obviously except for what the lovers and gripers say and only recently heard about the rail breakage problem coinciding with the new generation,yep I assumed knowing better than to.The rail problem was 10 years ago I found out.Sorry,my fault.As far as all the remarks a Glock can't go off without pulling the trigger without parts failure,that covers pretty much every gun doesn't it?
That covers all double action guns. However, single action can have an AD if the part that holds the firing pin back fails. Glocks are closer to double action than single action. The striker is drawn back part way but not enough to discharge if it were released from this position. The initial trigger draw on a Glock pulls the striker the rest of the way back like double action. The difference is the starting position of the striker. This is why Glock calls their guns "safe action" rather than double action.

#40 ·
Pocket carry in my jeans or work pants might lend itself to a slight graze if the gun fired for any reason but no possibility of damage to the groin. As far as aiming at the Mrs across the table, the G26 in it's Nemesis flops downward to aim at about 45* to the floor and due to the position of my grasshopper legs, it's not aimed at her anyhow. I've looked at it printing in my pocket as the concern has crossed my mind.
The Glock is half cocked so to speak when it's chambered. The firing pin is pulled back just enough to clear the safety pin. I don't want to gamble on how much force is required on the primer. If the safety pin is stuck or the spring is broken..., but those are really big IF's for a properly maintained Glock. The safety pin is easy to check with the slide off. I simply don't want to break rule #2 for whatever reason.

#41 ·
Why in the world would carry a Glock of any caliber if you are afraid of an accidental/negligent discharge? I carry a Glock and more often a Kahr PM 9 neither one has a manual safety. If I was afraid of shooting myself I'd get some more practice with the firearms or switch to a handgun with a manual safety. Just understand, that if you choose to carry a fierarm with a manual safety you better practice constantly. The first thing to go in a high stress situation is fine motor skills i.e. flipping off a safety. When or if I ever need my firearm for self defense I don't want to have to jack a round into the chamber or flip off a safety. If you want to stay with the Glock and are still unsure think about changing the trigger pull spring. Glock makes a NY 1 and a NY 2 you can increase the trigger pull required from 5.5lbs to 7 or 11lbs. Just a thought. In aby event practice and more practice is the key to safety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.