Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outside the waistband holsters for Glock 23

Outside the waistband holsters for Glock 23

Forum members have been great on suggestions for IWB holsters. How about on the waist holsters. It looks like this will be the first holster I buy. The ranges around here won't let you practice draws with holsters without an instructor ( makes sense ) and only on the waist. I would appreciate personal experiences and recommendations. As usual thanks to the great forum and good people.

NoShirtNoShoesNoTeeth Nokomis and Key Weird
    I am very happy with any of the Fobus Holsters
    George

Years ago I asked an old man why he carried concealed when I knew he had no license... He said "I'd rather be caught WITH a gun than WITHOUT

There is nothing "common" about common sense!
    NRA Life Member

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.".... Napoleon Bonaparte

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant". ... Mark Twain

Not trying to thread jack here.But this thread got me thinking is there more or less concealment IWB vs OWB ? it seems like it might be more comfortable,But I would be weary of OWB for fear that someone might see it.

With an IWB, the barrel is down your pants and out of sight. OWB does not require pants that are sized for the inches the gun and holster add.
    ---------------------
    Tampa Bay Area of Florida floridaguns.com
    NRA SI CISSP MCSE GSIE AA4YU

Distinguished Member Glock23-4-Me's Avatar
    I would go with the blackhawk serpa cqc

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SER...,1144,1410.htm
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

LITTLE BEAR HOLSTERS

I am not a lawyer!! Any information I provide is my opinion only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you need legal advice, I suggest you call someone with a law degree.

NO offense to the Capn or Glock-23...I've said it before on here about the Fobus..its nailed to my headboard and under my puter desk..they break way to easy as they are injection molded plastic..ya gets what ya pay for..As for the Serpa..way way to many AD's with the Serpa...reason is the trigger finger when pushing the lever to unlock remains in the same position and causes the finger to end up inside the trigger guard and up against the trigger as the weapon is released causing an AD before you can clear the muzzle..the other reason is the locking mechanism is faulty in itself..either jamming or causing AD's unto itself..they look good but thats about all they are good for...Can you imagine rolling around in the dirt in a Hand to hand or gunfight, then getting some trash stuck in the lever and trying to get it to release while getting your butt shot to hell..No thanks..

As for IWB or OWB, depends on the size of the firearm, your size, like in width of shoulders etc..I wear both and really dont have a preference. Just depends on the dress of the day..Lately since receiving my Little Bear Holsters I've carrying OWB with the 1911 and M&P9..before I carried in a Blade Tech Stingray or a couple of others I have around here..IWB was usually my Milt Sparks for the 1911, SuperTuck for the Para 14-45 or an old Don Hume 715 for my PT145.
    There is no second place winner in a lethal force encounter--only first and first loser.
    When the stake is one's life, losing is not an option!
    T.H.E. Firearms Training
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Blog

Distinguished Member Glock23-4-Me's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampRat View Post
    NO offense to the Capn or Glock-23....
    NO offense, what do you mean no offense, I am off.

Just kidding, no offense taken
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

LITTLE BEAR HOLSTERS

I am not a lawyer!! Any information I provide is my opinion only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you need legal advice, I suggest you call someone with a law degree.

I will second SwampRat on the holsters in question. A lot of people like the Fobus as a cheap holster but it comes apart way too easy.

The Serpa has had too many ADs around it. It may be fine for a high speed/low drag type, but thats not me.
    ---------------------
    Tampa Bay Area of Florida floridaguns.com
    NRA SI CISSP MCSE GSIE AA4YU

I have used Fobus paddle holsters for at least 10 years. I use them at the range most, but also use them when I go to town for short visits. One reason is that I carry my P3AT because it is on the dresser and I have a Fobus for it.

I will not argue with those who have bad experiences with them, but my experiences have been entirely satisfactory. I once asked a friend, a firearms instructor, to break off my Fobus paddle. He grabbed it, but did not break it off with a jerk. If someone comes up to you to jerk your holster off do you just stand there, and if concealed how does he know you are even armed?

Having said that, unless money or time is at a premium, Fobus is not the best choice for CC. If kydex, and I know Fobus is not kydex, I have several Comp-tac paddle holsters, and they are much better.
    I like the Fobus better than the Uncle Mike, or the Galco leather paddle, which rides too high and does not hold the gun nearly as close as
    Fobus.

FWIW I own and use leather holsters from Sparks, Brommeland, Kramer, Andrews, Nossar, El Paso Saddlery, and a couple of others.

Regards,
    Jerry

NoShirtNoShoesNoTeeth Nokomis and Key Weird
    FWIW, I have a Fobus ankle and OWB Paddle..... I use both equally depending on the uniform of the day.... NEVER have I had my weapon separate from the holster unintentionally..... Even while running, the ankle holster has never come loose.... I must admit, nobody has tried to yank the holster away from me, but then again, NOBODY ever "made" me carrying with either.

Once, after dating my GF for 3 months (and carrying from day 1), she saw me take off my piece while getting undressed... she asked me why "all of a sudden" I started carrying a gun...... I just smiled; she was living with me and didn't know I was packing.... FOBUS ROCKS!
    George

Years ago I asked an old man why he carried concealed when I knew he had no license... He said "I'd rather be caught WITH a gun than WITHOUT

There is nothing "common" about common sense!
    NRA Life Member

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.".... Napoleon Bonaparte

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant". ... Mark Twain

Sposors