Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of state ccw

Banned

Out of state ccw

Hi all, I will be moving to Clearwater next month. I currently hold a Ohio ccw (for 6 years now). I like to be able to transfer it into a Florida ccw. Does anyone have any idea if there is a "special" process for this.....or will I just have to start at the very beginning of the application process?

Florida has reciprocity with Ohio so I'm glad I will still be protected in the meantime.

Being in the same boat as you you can not just turn in your OH CHL for a FL CCW.

You must apply for the Florida CCW just like you did in Ohio. The only difference is it can be done by mail or you can make an appointment (just like in OH) with the district office and file the application electronically.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynden View Post
    Being in the same boat as you you can not just turn in your OH CHL for a FL CCW.

You must apply for the Florida CCW just like you did in Ohio. The only difference is it can be done by mail or you can make an appointment (just like in OH) with the district office and file the application electronically.
    Do you still hold your Ohio CHL or do you have a Florida one now?

I was in class with a fellow who moved here from Oregon with their license. Even though there is reprocity, he needed law enforcement, military or the Fla class in order to apply here. So, he came to class.

Al

"Wisdom knows when it doesn't know."
    - Franklin D********

I moved here from Michigan. Used my Michigan NRA class certificate, filled put application sent it in with $117.00 and recieved it in 4 weeks.
    Easy process!

Quote Originally Posted by Packing247 View Post
    Do you still hold your Ohio CHL or do you have a Florida one now?
    Holding my Ohio Identification as I am on OH unemployment from my layoff while seeking work down here. I filled out all the paperwork for my FL CCW permit, just have to send it in. You can hold a Florida CCW with an outof state ID since Florida issues non-resident permits. You can even fill it out with your Florida address, if you know it already, so that you can have your FL CCW before your FL DL. If you turn your OH DL in for a FL DL you OH DL and CHL are immediate canceled. Further more, Florida does not acknowledge non resident carry permits but they due allow reciprocity. Basically, since you have a OH DL and OH CHL your covered under reciprocity but if you had a OH DL and a PA CHL, the state of Florida would not recognize the PA CHL since you are not a PA resident and you could be guilty of unlawful CCW.

My advice is to get the FL CCW packet and fill it out ahead of time so you can get your FL CCW BEFORE you get your FL DL so that you will be able to carry with out a lapse in licensing.

*EDIT*
    You can use your OH NRA certificate for the FL CCW, however, if it is expired you will have to take the course again and obtain a new NRA Certificate. If that is the case, wait until you get here as you can get a NRA Certificate here in ~4 hours versus Ohio's mandatory 10 hours classroom and 2 hours range time. Classes are also cheaper here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynden View Post
    Holding my Ohio Identification as I am on OH unemployment from my layoff while seeking work down here. I filled out all the paperwork for my FL CCW permit, just have to send it in. You can hold a Florida CCW with an outof state ID since Florida issues non-resident permits. You can even fill it out with your Florida address, if you know it already, so that you can have your FL CCW before your FL DL. If you turn your OH DL in for a FL DL you OH DL and CHL are immediate canceled. Further more, Florida does not acknowledge non resident carry permits but they due allow reciprocity. Basically, since you have a OH DL and OH CHL your covered under reciprocity but if you had a OH DL and a PA CHL, the state of Florida would not recognize the PA CHL since you are not a PA resident and you could be guilty of unlawful CCW.

My advice is to get the FL CCW packet and fill it out ahead of time so you can get your FL CCW BEFORE you get your FL DL so that you will be able to carry with out a lapse in licensing.

*EDIT*
    You can use your OH NRA certificate for the FL CCW, however, if it is expired you will have to take the course again and obtain a new NRA Certificate. If that is the case, wait until you get here as you can get a NRA Certificate here in ~4 hours versus Ohio's mandatory 10 hours classroom and 2 hours range time. Classes are also cheaper here.
    Thats some great Info! Exactly the kind of info Im looking for. I will have to check my NRA cert and see if its expired.

Thats some great Info! Exactly the kind of info Im looking for. I will have to check my NRA cert and see if its expired.
    DD214 will work too. i believe you have to prove the class, not that the certificate is current on the NRA certificate.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f---with me, I'll kill you all."
    Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

COTEP #744

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDC66 View Post
    DD214 will work too. i believe you have to prove the class, not that the certificate is current on the NRA certificate.
    Shouldn't the fact that I am a current CHL holder be enough proof? States reciprocate with each other due to the training and laws are similar. Just curious

Shouldn't the fact that I am a current CHL holder be enough proof? States reciprocate with each other due to the training and laws are similar. Just curious
    That was the issue for the fellow from Oregon, had a valid permit from a reprocity state when he moved here, but did not have a valid or recognized class certificate, nor a DD214 or LE background/certificate. Just sayin'.

Al

"Wisdom knows when it doesn't know."
    - Franklin D********

Sposors