Florida Concealed Carry banner

Laser sights for concealed carry

6K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Super J 
#1 ·
What are some of the pros and cons of having a laser sight in case of a defensive encounter while being outside the home?

Most of what I have read about laser sights is usually for home defense but when you carry concealed it's different.

#2 ·
This should be good. Trainers don't like lasers....yet some say a well placed laser will end a possible conflict....I own one G17 with an underbarrel, internal laser(lasermax) and I use it for fun at night on my acreage in South Carolina. I think it's up to the individual to train properly with advanced instructors, and if a laser can be a training aid or even help in some situation I think it is OK...but the bullet hitting home is what counts.

#3 ·
I have Crimson Trace Laser Grips on my EDC piece, a Colt Defender in .45ACP.

Pros:

I don't need my glasses on to see the red dot on the target.
I can focus on the target and not the sights - no "aiming" required.
Definite advantage in low light or darkness.

Cons:

Useless in bright sunlight - that's OK, I still have the sights.
In low light or darkness, can give away your position.
Requires batteries, but they will last years, so I don't expect this to be a failure mode - I verify them daily before holstering anyway.
Not exactly a cheap accessory, but neither was the gun, holster, practice ammo, and range time.

#4 ·
I posted this question once too. An LEO who trains the FL state police told me they make good cat toys. When I used mine I found I didn't look at the sights and that sort of bothered me. I was at an indoor range and it was dead on. Using it in the afternoon at an outdoor range I couldn't see it. The aforementioned LEO convinced me that I need to practice point shooting. He told me that if I use my usual bullseye technique in an SD situation I very well may be shot before I have my sights aligned on my adversary. I'm still sort of pro laser because I wear glasses and at night if I were to awake to a BG the laser would come in handy in the dark with no time to get to my glasses. So I guess it isn't a bad addition to the arsenal but shouldn't be depended on too much. Just IMHO.

#7 ·
I'm still sort of pro laser because I wear glasses and at night if I were to awake to a BG the laser would come in handy in the dark with no time to get to my glasses. So I guess it isn't a bad addition to the arsenal but shouldn't be depended on too much. Just IMHO.
I'm a little concerned, if you can't see well enough to identify your target this is a problem, if you can ID your target I would think point shooting would do the trick. my other concern is during a stressfull situation would I remember to turn the thing on, would I be able to work the switch properly so I could turn it back off if I came under fire and didn't want to give away my position. I know I know practice, practice, practice, but I think I'll stick with KISS

#5 ·
Do a search on lasers. You'll find that most folks here are against them.

#6 ·
I tend to oppose them on a true SD weapon. If you have to use your weapon, it will most likely be at close range and you will need to fire quickly. People with laser sights tend to spend too much time locating the red dot and positioning on target rather than drawing and firing. Take the money that you were going to spend on the laser sights and invest it in a good class on reflexive shooting.

#14 ·
I think we have a winner here !! I think a laser is or can be a good tool to help teach , makes you able to see if your flinching or not ! But I think that I personally can put 4 or 5 rounds on target in the same time it takes me to find the red dot on someone ! Kevin

#11 ·
I'm not a big fan of them but I can see how they would be useful in the dark.

We were doing some point shooting at the range and one of the guys had a laser. His time to first shot went up when he used the laser. Instead of trusting his point shooting skills he spent time looking for the laser on the target - only a second or two difference but enough to get you killed.

#12 ·
WINNAH!

That's my biggest issue with lasers on carry guns...you start chasing the dot, and it slows you down...hugely.

Only a second or two? A reasonably practiced individual will have drawn and put 5 rounds into you in 2 seconds or less.

#13 ·
I have a Crimson Trace laser on my EDC. First, I like the grip better than any of the grip pads that came with the M&P. Second, I use it to train in dry-fire point shooting. Finally, it is always off except for training. I do not want to rely on the red dot. The handgun has enough failure modes without adding another layer of dependency. So, I like the grip and find it useful in training but would not rely on it for SD.
Just my opinion.

#16 ·
If it is so dark that you can't ID your target, you should consider a flashlight instead of a laser. A laser will not ID a target, it will just show you at best that you are aiming at a silouette. After that, it is good for one shot and one shot only under those lighting conditions. The first round muzzle flash will temporarily blind you, making follow up aquisition of that little red dot almost impossible. My advice is to get a good flashlight and learn how to shoot one handed, both strong side and weak side.

Beers y'all,
Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.