Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser sights for concealed carry

Laser sights for concealed carry

What are some of the pros and cons of having a laser sight in case of a defensive encounter while being outside the home?

Most of what I have read about laser sights is usually for home defense but when you carry concealed it's different.

Distinguished Member milkmanjoe's Avatar
    This should be good. Trainers don't like lasers....yet some say a well placed laser will end a possible conflict....I own one G17 with an underbarrel, internal laser(lasermax) and I use it for fun at night on my acreage in South Carolina. I think it's up to the individual to train properly with advanced instructors, and if a laser can be a training aid or even help in some situation I think it is OK...but the bullet hitting home is what counts.
    Memorial Day is every day for me

I don't sleep, I wait

As a younger man I subscribed to quick witted philosophical wording, yet as I age I realize I knew nothing about that wording, wisdom truly comes from variations in one's life over periods of time, not from mirroring someone else's thoughts or words..

I have Crimson Trace Laser Grips on my EDC piece, a Colt Defender in .45ACP.

Pros:

I don't need my glasses on to see the red dot on the target.
    I can focus on the target and not the sights - no "aiming" required.
    Definite advantage in low light or darkness.

Cons:

Useless in bright sunlight - that's OK, I still have the sights.
    In low light or darkness, can give away your position.
    Requires batteries, but they will last years, so I don't expect this to be a failure mode - I verify them daily before holstering anyway.
    Not exactly a cheap accessory, but neither was the gun, holster, practice ammo, and range time.

I posted this question once too. An LEO who trains the FL state police told me they make good cat toys. When I used mine I found I didn't look at the sights and that sort of bothered me. I was at an indoor range and it was dead on. Using it in the afternoon at an outdoor range I couldn't see it. The aforementioned LEO convinced me that I need to practice point shooting. He told me that if I use my usual bullseye technique in an SD situation I very well may be shot before I have my sights aligned on my adversary. I'm still sort of pro laser because I wear glasses and at night if I were to awake to a BG the laser would come in handy in the dark with no time to get to my glasses. So I guess it isn't a bad addition to the arsenal but shouldn't be depended on too much. Just IMHO.

Do a search on lasers. You'll find that most folks here are against them.
    Shoot to stop.

The only thing required for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -- Edmund Burke

They who willingly give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Ben Franklin

Floridians - Stop paying too much for your hobby - http://groupbuybulkammo.com/

I tend to oppose them on a true SD weapon. If you have to use your weapon, it will most likely be at close range and you will need to fire quickly. People with laser sights tend to spend too much time locating the red dot and positioning on target rather than drawing and firing. Take the money that you were going to spend on the laser sights and invest it in a good class on reflexive shooting.
    Jim Dykes
    LTC, US Army (Retired)
    Glock Model 27
    Sig Sauer Model P220

Secretary
    Florida Carry, Inc.

http://www.floridacarry.org

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-T. Jefferson

Distinguished Member OLDJEEP813's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy10mm View Post
    I'm still sort of pro laser because I wear glasses and at night if I were to awake to a BG the laser would come in handy in the dark with no time to get to my glasses. So I guess it isn't a bad addition to the arsenal but shouldn't be depended on too much. Just IMHO.
    I'm a little concerned, if you can't see well enough to identify your target this is a problem, if you can ID your target I would think point shooting would do the trick. my other concern is during a stressfull situation would I remember to turn the thing on, would I be able to work the switch properly so I could turn it back off if I came under fire and didn't want to give away my position. I know I know practice, practice, practice, but I think I'll stick with KISS

[QUOTE=OLDJEEP813;231218]...my other concern is during a stressfull situation would I remember to turn the thing on, would I be able to work the switch properly so I could turn it back off if I came under fire and didn't want to give away my position.

With CT laser grips, it's all in the grip. All you have to do is grip the gun normally and it comes on. You don't have to hunt for the switch. Relax your grip slightly, and it goes off, or you can cover the output port with your trigger finger (right handed only).

[QUOTE=gderf;231224]
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDJEEP813 View Post
    ...my other concern is during a stressfull situation would I remember to turn the thing on, would I be able to work the switch properly so I could turn it back off if I came under fire and didn't want to give away my position.

With CT laser grips, it's all in the grip. All you have to do is grip the gun normally and it comes on. You don't have to hunt for the switch. Relax your grip slightly, and it goes off, or you can cover the output port with your trigger finger (right handed only).
    i was looking at those but i dont think i like the extra bulk on the handle, gripping on the glock is already just barely comfortable. i like the internal lasermax that replaces the guide rob, but 300... I would rather buy a p22 and prace more that have a laser in my gun if i want to use it.

[QUOTE=Lynden;231225]
    Quote Originally Posted by gderf View Post

i was looking at those but i dont think i like the extra bulk on the handle, gripping on the glock is already just barely comfortable. i like the internal lasermax that replaces the guide rob, but 300... I would rather buy a p22 and prace more that have a laser in my gun if i want to use it.
    Mine are for a 1911, they don't add any bulk. Lasermax also offers guide rod units for full size 5" 1911s - but not for anything shorter, but I wouldn't have it even if they did offer one for my 3". It replaces mechanism parts inside the gun, and the switch is something you do have to hunt for.

To each his own. I have no complaints about mine, not even the price, a bit over $200 online.
    Last edited by gderf; 02-02-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Sposors