Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations: AR-15 200-300+ yard scope

Recommendations: AR-15 200-300+ yard scope

Hey,

Looking for a few good recommendations for a scope good for ~300 yards.

First, I have no experience of shooting at that range and looking forward to getting some.

I have an EO Tech 512 but never really got comfortable with it, feel better/more comfortable with the iron sights. So instead of adding a magnifier I want to get rid of the EO Tech and find a good scope.

Local ranges are no longer than 100 yards, so I plan to get a good scope, get it dialed in then travel up north to a range with longer distances.

Thinking of an acog type but would like to keep the price close to that of the EO Tech ~$500.

Rifle is a LE6920 if that matters any.

Thanks for reading and any recommendations.

Banned
    Last edited by SGB; 12-05-2010 at 04:07 PM.

I just bought one of these for my new 6.8. From what everyone at 68forum says this is a great scope for the $...I picked up the one with a BDC reticle that I'll be using for target and some hunting $169 shipped. http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Vipe...vpr-m-02g4.htm

Thanks for the responses/recommendations.

Just making sure I understand:
    SGB's scope magnifies up to 10x from a 42mm lens and nosaj750's scope magnifies 2-7x through a 32mm lens?

The Acog would probably be closer to $1,000. An Aimpoint would be about $500.

The scope you buy should suit your shooting style or intention. How much shooting do you expect to do at 200? At 300? And what type of accuracy are you aiming for? Is it for target practicing to shoot small groups? Do you have a match grade gun? Or is this a self defense weapon? I think answering all these questions are important in choosing a scope.

SGB posted a photo of his AR with a Super Sniper scope. I have a 10x Super Sniper on a .308 bolt rifle and think they are great for the money. I only paid $400 for the Super Sniper with a side parallax knob. It's a tough tactical scope.

If you are going to use your AR for CQB as well as 200-300 yards, you may only need a 3 x scope or a variable power 3 - 9x. With a 3x your AR could fit a CQB role and at 9x its enough scope to shoot out to 300 yards.

If you are really on a budget get a BSA. You sorta get what you pay for. But for the money BSA is one of the least expensive scopes.

Nikon makes great scopes under $500 - but would you really want to put a hunting scope on a tactical rifle? I also like Burris etc.

Are you going to sell the EO TEC ?
    Expect the Best - Prepare for the Worst
    Keep on Prepping

Still getting to understand everything and researching/reading when I have time. With that said I may be leaving the AR as is.

Thinking of getting a Remington 700 instead and mounting a good (not too expensive) scope on it.

But if I'm not mistaken ~300 yards is the max I'd see within a few hours drive anyway.

Yes I am selling the EO Tech, posted here: http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/For...c-Weapon-Sight

Quote Originally Posted by ColtJ View Post
    Thanks for the responses/recommendations.

Just making sure I understand:
    SGB's scope magnifies up to 10x from a 42mm lens and nosaj750's scope magnifies 2-7x through a 32mm lens?
    It looks like SGB's scope is a fixed power at 10'x magnification which is a great scope if your going to do a lot of longe range shooting. The one i put up is a variable power but, I'll be using it from 25yds out to 300yds occasiionally. I've always read a scope with a good lower power is more important than the higher power. You can always shoot with low power since you have a wider field of view. With a higher power you have a reduced field of view which may prevent you from finding the target quickly. You could still hit something at 2x's at 300yds but much less likely to use 20x's to hit something at 25yds if you forget to crank the magnification down. I felt with a 7x scope if I forgot to crank it down it's still not a real high power and the field of view isn't so small I would lose the target but, still enough power to shoot out to 300yds. I''ve read about people shooting out past 500yds with 4x scopes.

Super Sniper scopes consistantly get high marks for quality vs cost. I would stick with them unless you can afford better. There are a few tactical scopes now made for the AR and 223 that appear to be good offerings.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=186660 is an example of one possibility.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell
    NRA certified pistol & RSO
    NRA Life member

Quote Originally Posted by ColtJ View Post
    Still getting to understand everything and researching/reading when I have time. With that said I may be leaving the AR as is.

Thinking of getting a Remington 700 instead and mounting a good (not too expensive) scope on it.

But if I'm not mistaken ~300 yards is the max I'd see within a few hours drive anyway.

Yes I am selling the EO Tech, posted here: http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/For...c-Weapon-Sight
    Getting the Remington 700 versus your AR, I think this is the smartest choice for shooting 300 yards and further. The Remington 700 in .308 would be excellent for 300 to 600 yards and further. Savage FCP is also a great gun and accurate out of the box. Both of those guns would be better than trying to push the AR out to 300. It can be done but it will not have the energy or accuracy of a larger caliber. Get the Remi and keep your AR for CQB.
    Expect the Best - Prepare for the Worst
    Keep on Prepping

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Prepper View Post
    Getting the Remington 700 versus your AR, I think this is the smartest choice for shooting 300 yards and further. The Remington 700 in .308 would be excellent for 300 to 600 yards and further. Savage FCP is also a great gun and accurate out of the box. Both of those guns would be better than trying to push the AR out to 300. It can be done but it will not have the energy or accuracy of a larger caliber. Get the Remi and keep your AR for CQB.
    three hundred yards is not a tough shot for an AR with 1-7/1-9 twist with heavy bullet. Very accurate and fun to boot.........
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell
    NRA certified pistol & RSO
    NRA Life member

Sposors