Florida Concealed Carry banner

Military, Under 21 Years

8K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  myweaponspermit 
#1 ·
Quick question, I can't find the answer.

Can Military personnel under the age (or over for that matter) conceal carry without a CWL?

A friend of my son seems to think he can. FL Statute would be helpful if easy for you.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

#2 ·
NOPE..never seen anything like that and I have read the statutes quite a bit.

Thank you son for his service for all of us. My days in uniform are long over and I have a lot of respect for the new generation of service members.

#4 · (Edited)
F.S. 790.051 Exemption from licensing requirements; law enforcement officers.—

Law enforcement officers are exempt from the licensing and penal provisions of this chapter when acting at any time within the scope or course of their official duties or when acting at any time in the line of or performance of duty.
History.—s. 11, ch. 69-306.
I don't see anything in here about active duty military being exempted from obtaining a license to CC.

F.S. 790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—

(2)The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license if the applicant:
(b)Is 21 years of age or older;

F.S. 790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.—

(3)LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
(a)Members of the Militia, National Guard, Florida State Defense Force, Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, organized reserves, and other armed forces of the state and of the United States, when on duty, when training or preparing themselves for military duty, or while subject to recall or mobilization;
(b)Citizens of this state subject to duty in the Armed Forces under s. 2, Art. X of the State Constitution, under chapters 250 and 251, and under federal laws, when on duty or when training or preparing themselves for military duty;

#5 ·
Previous answers are correct. He is currently NOT in the armed forces and is not officially engaged in training. Therefore, no, he would be in violation of state law by carrying without a CWFL.

#6 ·
Just to clarify...we aren't talking about my son here. It is his friend who is in the Army and he stated he had a military CWL. He's 20 years old. I told him his military identification isn't a concealed weapons permit and he can't get one until he is 21. The only thing he is exempt from is taking a firearms training class to my knowledge.

As far as my son goes, he will do boot camp during the summer of 2012. Since he is attending college on a AFROTC scholarship, he is considered a "contract cadet" and has a Military ID. He isn't Active Duty yet, but he will be. He will be a commissioned officer when he finishes school. He's been on this path as long as I can remember and has always wanted to be an engineer, not a pilot. He was group commander in high school with over 150 cadets under his direction. He has worked really hard.

Have a great day folks....

Rob

#7 · (Edited)
To my knowledge, active duty military personnel may only carry concealed, in Florida, if they are engaged in their actual duties and arms are required, ordered or authorized for said duties, or are military criminal investigators. Certain military law enforcement agents [military criminal investigative personnel, some intelligence agents, etc.] are authorized by their command [Army CIC, NCIS, AFOSI, etc.] to carry a firearm when off-duty and are recognized as federal law enforcement personnel . Rank and file military personnel are usually not authorized, by their commands, to carry firearms off-duty and most states do not authorize such carry, without a permit [the exception being unrestricted carry states].

#9 ·
Active military are not authorized to CCW in Florida.
Additionally under 21 no CCW either from the State.
The only exception to that I know of is Georgia.

AFS
Without a valid CWFL, that is.

#10 ·
Please do thank him for his service from me as well.

You know what the sad part is? They won’t sell him ammo either.

#11 ·
Please do thank him for his service from me as well.

You know what the sad part is? They won’t sell him ammo either.
I don't think that's so sad.

I did my time, and I'm totally fine with the fact that laws that apply to civilian kids also apply to kids in the military. Yeah, sure, I get the sentiment behind the whole "If they're old enough to die for our country, then they're old enough to [insert *anything* here, apparently]!", and I was all behind that back when I was underage (I was 17 when I enlisted), but I totally disagree with it now (in my mid 20's). Joining the military doesn't automatically turn you into some angel who commands rationality above the average citizen, y'know? (and if you don't know, just take my word for it; it doesn't )

#14 ·
Well, I have an 18 year old grandson, good kid, where he goes, and who he knocks around with?
Not a good idea for that age group to be strapped, big time.

Took him through dry fire exercises, he did real well, the take down class (mine!) with a Glock 19, safe direction, good gun handling.

One of 4 jammed in a vehicle, music off the scale, off to the mall? Sorry.
In Tel Aviv? Maybe. Orlando, not.

#16 ·
Using age as a measure of maturity is unfair, no doubt.
However, it seems there is no other EASY way to do it.
Some European countries do not people under 18 drive; here it is 16 in most states. Are American kids more mature ? Doubt it.
Yeah, it is unfair ... who said life is fair ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.