Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military, Under 21 Years

Military, Under 21 Years

Quick question, I can't find the answer.

Can Military personnel under the age (or over for that matter) conceal carry without a CWL?

A friend of my son seems to think he can. FL Statute would be helpful if easy for you.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

Distinguished Member mirage2521's Avatar
    NOPE..never seen anything like that and I have read the statutes quite a bit.

Thank you son for his service for all of us. My days in uniform are long over and I have a lot of respect for the new generation of service members.
    Up to a point a man's life is shaped by environment, heredity, and movements and changes in the world about him; then there comes a time when it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be. ... Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow
    Louis Dearborn L'Amour

You may now carry on with your absurd non-directional bantering.
    Yocan

If Obama is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mirage2521 View Post
    NOPE..never seen anything like that and I have read the statutes quite a bit.

Thank you son for his service for all of us. My days in uniform are long over and I have a lot of respect for the new generation of service members.

I will...and thanks. He's currently attending UCF majoring in Aeronautical Engineering on an ROTC Scholarship. He's contracted with the Air Force. We're incredibly proud of our fine young man.

I really appreciate this place...
    Rob

Distinguished Member rocketsteve's Avatar
    F.S. 790.051 Exemption from licensing requirements; law enforcement officers.—

Law enforcement officers are exempt from the licensing and penal provisions of this chapter when acting at any time within the scope or course of their official duties or when acting at any time in the line of or performance of duty.
    History.—s. 11, ch. 69-306.
    I don't see anything in here about active duty military being exempted from obtaining a license to CC.

F.S. 790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—

(2)The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall issue a license if the applicant:
    (b)Is 21 years of age or older;

F.S. 790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.—

(3)LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
    (a)Members of the Militia, National Guard, Florida State Defense Force, Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, organized reserves, and other armed forces of the state and of the United States, when on duty, when training or preparing themselves for military duty, or while subject to recall or mobilization;
    (b)Citizens of this state subject to duty in the Armed Forces under s. 2, Art. X of the State Constitution, under chapters 250 and 251, and under federal laws, when on duty or when training or preparing themselves for military duty;
    Last edited by rocketsteve; 11-22-2010 at 09:39 PM.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. - Thomas Jefferson

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. - Thomas Jefferson

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Previous answers are correct. He is currently NOT in the armed forces and is not officially engaged in training. Therefore, no, he would be in violation of state law by carrying without a CWFL.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF, Ret.
    Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.
    ------------------
    NRA Certified Instructor, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PPITH
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    ------------------
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)
    Stag Arms Model 1
    ------------------
    Want to accomplish something for your gun rights?
    PITCH IN, QUIT B*TCHIN'

Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    Previous answers are correct. He is currently NOT in the armed forces and is not officially engaged in training. Therefore, no, he would be in violation of state law by carrying without a CWFL.
    Just to clarify...we aren't talking about my son here. It is his friend who is in the Army and he stated he had a military CWL. He's 20 years old. I told him his military identification isn't a concealed weapons permit and he can't get one until he is 21. The only thing he is exempt from is taking a firearms training class to my knowledge.

As far as my son goes, he will do boot camp during the summer of 2012. Since he is attending college on a AFROTC scholarship, he is considered a "contract cadet" and has a Military ID. He isn't Active Duty yet, but he will be. He will be a commissioned officer when he finishes school. He's been on this path as long as I can remember and has always wanted to be an engineer, not a pilot. He was group commander in high school with over 150 cadets under his direction. He has worked really hard.

Have a great day folks....

Rob

Distinguished Member
    To my knowledge, active duty military personnel may only carry concealed, in Florida, if they are engaged in their actual duties and arms are required, ordered or authorized for said duties, or are military criminal investigators. Certain military law enforcement agents [military criminal investigative personnel, some intelligence agents, etc.] are authorized by their command [Army CIC, NCIS, AFOSI, etc.] to carry a firearm when off-duty and are recognized as federal law enforcement personnel . Rank and file military personnel are usually not authorized, by their commands, to carry firearms off-duty and most states do not authorize such carry, without a permit [the exception being unrestricted carry states].
    Last edited by Mac45; 11-23-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Active military are not authorized to CCW in Florida.
    Additionally under 21 no CCW either from the State.
    The only exception to that I know of is Georgia.

AFS

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Active military are not authorized to CCW in Florida.
    Additionally under 21 no CCW either from the State.
    The only exception to that I know of is Georgia.

AFS
    Without a valid CWFL, that is.
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF, Ret.
    Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.
    ------------------
    NRA Certified Instructor, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PPITH
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    ------------------
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)
    Stag Arms Model 1
    ------------------
    Want to accomplish something for your gun rights?
    PITCH IN, QUIT B*TCHIN'

Please do thank him for his service from me as well.

You know what the sad part is? They won’t sell him ammo either.
    "In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu
    "A good battle plan that you act on today can be better than a perfect one tomorrow." - Gen George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    …there is also a rule of the road on the water that states regardless of right of way every party involved is required to make every effort to avoid conflict on the water...rules to live by....

Sposors