Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry on Greyhound?

Carry on Greyhound?

Has anyone had an issue carrying on a Greyhound bus? I saw that their company policy states that weapons are prohibited on their buses and stations. They also state that they can search anyone or any bags if need be.

I don't want to get to a layover station (i.e., Orlando) and get caught by a metal detector or something.

I guess I could just be paranoid, but I don't want to be stranded somewhere if they ask me to leave.

I'm not sure about current laws, but a little over a decade ago transport of firearms on "common carriers", i.e. busses and trains traveling inter-state, was prohibited by Federal law. We used to confiscate a lot of weapons at the Greyhound station doing "interstate interdiction". Those laws had to do with carried weapons, not those checked in "belly" baggage. I'd double check if I were you before heading out. But quite honestly, I'd rather hitchhike than ride a Greyhound. Safer and less smelly, to say the least.
    Beers y'all,
    Ken
    Panhandle Defense Institute
    www.PDI-2A.com
    INSTRUO * PUGNA * SUPERSTES

"Armed, people fly their colors. Disarmed, victims wear them."

The trip will be within Florida, so I won't be transporting a firearm between states.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/19...-TSA-operation
    Your choice, but I have read a couple of articles recently about some random checks at Greyhound stations and Amtrak stations, including recently in Orlando.

Upon asking Greyhound employees over the phone or through email, their response is "Weapons are not allowed in baggage or on person, period." This was the response regardless of being licensed to carry and while this information was obtained over two years ago it may still be relevant. I'd search their website for the answer and if it's not clear, try giving them a call.

Edit: Their website clearly states they have a "zero tolerance policy towards weapons." They also do not allow for ammunition or firearms in checked baggage.
    Last edited by m46607; 11-15-2010 at 06:12 AM.
    "Happiness and ignorance, as long as he can pay the rent,
    Until the day that Freedom's gone."

Personally, I'd love to see this challenged in court. Airlines cannot refuse checked firearms, why is Greyhound permitted to do so?
    Rich
    MSgt, USAF, Ret.
    Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.
    ------------------
    NRA Certified Instructor, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PPITH
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    ------------------
    Glock 23 RTF2
    Mosin Nagant M91/30 (1942 Izhevsk)
    Stag Arms Model 1
    ------------------
    Want to accomplish something for your gun rights?
    PITCH IN, QUIT B*TCHIN'

Distinguished Member fuzzy03cls's Avatar
    Having used this mode of transport a few times. No way I wouldn't carry. IDC.
    I didn't have A CWL, or a gun when I used it & there were some shady people on the bus & at the stations. Especially the connecting stations.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy03cls View Post
    Having used this mode of transport a few times. No way I wouldn't carry. IDC.
    I didn't have A CWL, or a gun when I used it & there were some shady people on the bus & at the stations. Especially the connecting stations.
    Absolutely +1 The bus station in downtown Atlanta comes to mind. Last time I used Greyhound/Trailways was many years ago and I didn't then have my CWL but, though it probably wasn't legal I did carry a stun gun and a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    Personally, I'd love to see this challenged in court. Airlines cannot refuse checked firearms, why is Greyhound permitted to do so?
    Not so fast grasshopper cause you will lose it falls under federal law (18 U.S.C. 922) also we had a thread awhile back on this check it.
    http://floridaconcealedcarry.com/For...1915-bus-carry
    NRA Member
    Florida Carry Member

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich7553 View Post
    You are mistaken. Airlines can, and if I remember correctly, a couple do refuse to allow passenger to transport firearms. It's a private business after all.

I am not a lawyer!
    My opinion/comments are strictly that: My own, well researched, opinions.
    If anyone needs legal advise, please seek out a qualified attorney.
    Do not rely on my, or anyone Else's, opinions to keep you out of legal trouble.

Sposors